• www.hexbus.com

Posted Mon Apr 1, 2019 7:32 AM

In slo-mo:  

#127 mizapf OFFLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 3,607 posts

Posted Mon Apr 1, 2019 7:47 AM

It was the same when I got the TI Professional from a local seller; when we powered it up, black smoke came out of the case. It's impressive how dense and black such smoke may be, and still the computer is running. But it was enough to get it for €200 instead of €250, as he planned.

#128 Swim OFFLINE  

Swim

Chopper Commander

• 170 posts

Posted Mon Apr 1, 2019 7:47 AM

In slo-mo

The electrolytic caps are no fun when they explode and fill the whole room with fuzz either. ;)

#129 acadiel OFFLINE  

acadiel

Stargunner

• 1,506 posts
  • www.hexbus.com

Posted Mon Apr 1, 2019 12:09 PM

The electrolytic caps are no fun when they explode and fill the whole room with fuzz either. ;)

The YouTube rabbit hole stuck again... it thought I'd enjoy to watch this video (gotta admit, it's really neat:  )

#130 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,427 posts

Posted Mon Apr 1, 2019 4:59 PM

Thanks, Acadiel, you really know how to motivate me to get back in the saddle.  lol

Today I formatted one of my remaining two "good" MFM hard drives using an HFDC for the first time in years.  Two of the four drives were completely seized up.  I was able to get one of them to rotate but it sounded like a garbage disposal.   MY miniscribe spun up but the rotator arm was very tight.  Even after some work it spins but the drive light just blinks and error message.  :(  Fortunately, my ST-251 is functioning and just finished formatting all 820 cylinders without any errors.  Whether it holds data or not is another story..

#131 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

Quadrunner

• 5,271 posts

Posted Mon Apr 1, 2019 5:21 PM

ST251s were pretty reliable drives. I still have a few of those connected to systems. . .

#132 atrax27407 OFFLINE  

atrax27407

Stargunner

• 1,256 posts

Posted Mon Apr 1, 2019 5:31 PM

I have a hard drive (I'll have to look for it) that you can have, Tim. Don't know if it works. If not you can use it for a door stop. I actually found two ST-251s if you are interested (or if anyone else is interested in one or both of them).

Edited by atrax27407, Mon Apr 1, 2019 5:37 PM.

#133 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,427 posts

Posted Mon Apr 1, 2019 6:14 PM

Thanks guys. For now I'll stick with the drive that I have, as I might not keep but one HFDC.  If I do keep it, I will probably go the same route Beery took.  I do like the functionality the HFDC brings to the TI and Geneve systems. Of course, as Swim and I were discussing the other night, there is something nostalgic and almost comforting about a big ol' MFM drive putting in the background ;)

#134 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,427 posts

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:28 PM

For someone truly interested and capable of repair work, I have another Geneve up for grabs.  This one does work but it has a bad connection somewhere. I think it may be in the video RAM area as the screen periodically garbles and then the Geneve freezes; could be some data or address line issue as well. I replaced the caps and regulators at some point during the past few years but I have no recollection of work done beyond what I can see I did.  It has the 192K VRAM and 64K ram updates, so it will load MDOS 6.50.  0.98 swan EPROM.  No clamshell. It is possible that with a clamshell the card will not flex and will be stable but someone needs to go through the sockets and look for corrosion or bad solder points.   $225 as-is.  PM me if interested. As with the other Geneves, neither Swim nor I will entertain repairing them. 

Edit:  Card has been purchased.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Geneve, Geneve 9640, Repair

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users