IGNORED

Excellent inexpensive wired LAN adapter for the Switch

eightbit

While the wireless is OK on the Switch for me (30MB/s or so download) I have 100MB/s FIOS and was looking for better. I especially wanted something better after downloading the full Bayonetta game which took about an hour and 20 minutes. So, I tested a few LAN adapters over the past week as well as read some reviews on each. I ended up returning all of them but one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQM8586/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This adapter bar none provides the best wired LAN speed I can get on the Switch. I get anywhere between 62-72MB/s using this. I have it connected to the internal USB 3.0 port (behind the dock door) which is supposed to "not be USB 3.0" (yet), but I am not quite sure about that now as I am achieving speeds that would not be capable via USB 2.0.

In any case, speed is great. Download time is significantly reduced and the thing is only $15. I figured I would just give a heads up for folks who have a Switch and want better internet connection speeds while docked.

In my experience the wifi is pretty bad on the Switch. Its the only device that I have in my house where I have to keep it in certain areas for a decent signal.

Yeah, my Switch is parked literally on the shelf above the router and I couldn't deal with it. I don't know how people who buy AAA titles digitally are dealing with it. I guess if you pre ordering games and they are downloading in the background you don't notice it.

WiFi on Switch seems OK to me. Remember you're writing to a MicroSD card, so it seems possible to me that the lag you're perceiving might be I/O rather than networking. Especially with a slow card, as they're not created equal.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation, it's always nice to have alternatives, and there are probably people who want a way to avoid WiFi altogether if possible.

WiFi on Switch seems OK to me. Remember you're writing to a MicroSD card, so it seems possible to me that the lag you're perceiving might be I/O rather than networking. Especially with a slow card, as they're not created equal.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation, it's always nice to have alternatives, and there are probably people who want a way to avoid WiFi altogether if possible.

A lot of times I can't get a good enough signal to even open up the eshop. I looked into it and it's a known issue

Good point about the I/O overhead. I thought about that too, but I have one of these in there which seems should do fine:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XWZWYVP/ref=twister_B071R715MZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't downloaded any big titles using the new LAN adapter yet, but game updates are moving along significantly faster and eShop page drawing is a whole lot faster. It was worth the $15 for sure ;)