Anybody else seen the trailer for the new Pokémon title for Switch? I got the email about this last night, and... I have mixed feelings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE__VEUxLvI

I'll wait until a few people respond before I form any kind of response as I'd like to see if I'm in the minority or majority before I get all angry or stupid about this.

• Like 1

I like the idea of it being based in the old Pokemon Yellow game from so long ago, and the fact that it's not following the traditional (until Ultra Sun/Moon) era style of played out boring ass classic overly grindy pokemon design either. The fact it's not just a button tap but you can actually have a little fun tossing to catch with pokeballs is a welcome surprise too. I'm pretty on board, but not a lock down as they're still not saying much perhaps saving it for E3 next month.

• Like 1

I'm fine with the idea of simplifying the catching process, but I think my problem is...

This feels more like "Pokemon Go Switch Edition" than a legit Pokemon game. It's probably sort of a final boost to try and keep Pokemon Go relevant.

As long as it's not a full priced game, I could accept the issues I have with it. (IE if it's more than $40 then I'm out)

Reading up on it, it's not. You still have the traditional battles, gyms, gym cronies and leaders, and the rogue trainers who pick fights in the wild. The Go mechanic largely appears to be the catch mechanics etc when trying to acquire/heal a pokemon. And it is full priced at $60 looking at amazon with the preorder, but if you have prime that drops to $48. So I guess, you're perhaps out.

Recent news has shown that pokemon go is still largely profitable and I think much of it has been the last six months of some high quality refinements across the board along with the addition of weekly, monthly, and random events that make it not feel like a drag to keep playing. The big Go mechanic is that you can transfer your GO monsters into the Switch game, so if you have some serious badass stuff trained up like some beefy Dragonite, or a Moltres legendary, it's fair game it potentially appears.

Reading up on it, it's not. You still have the traditional battles, gyms, gym cronies and leaders, and the rogue trainers who pick fights in the wild. The Go mechanic largely appears to be the catch mechanics etc when trying to acquire/heal a pokemon. And it is full priced at $60 looking at amazon with the preorder, but if you have prime that drops to $48. So I guess, you're perhaps out.

Recent news has shown that pokemon go is still largely profitable and I think much of it has been the last six months of some high quality refinements across the board along with the addition of weekly, monthly, and random events that make it not feel like a drag to keep playing. The big Go mechanic is that you can transfer your GO monsters into the Switch game, so if you have some serious badass stuff trained up like some beefy Dragonite, or a Moltres legendary, it's fair game it potentially appears.

I guess I'm just being finicky on it because I was hoping for more of a "main series" title than this. I'll probably consider getting it as it'll be interesting to see how they do it.

Worst case I figure I'll wait for another main series entry. My understanding is that they're still planning that for the Switch, but this title is coming first.

Now as for actual details, I read that the "Let's Go" isn't going to have all the online features like the average Pokemon game has had for the last few gens. It'll have a way to trade and battle online, but my understanding is that it won't be like the GTS (Global Trade System).

Edited by KeeperofLindblum

Generation 8 comes out in 2019 and that's confirmed along with another sizable roster of new things to capture, abuse and evolve for fun. The head of the company said as much in that press bit during this week unless it was last week I forget.

Let's Go just appears to be a livened up, changed plenty, revitalized version of the yellow concept brought to a modern format and the next generation of the game is the following year. They're not saying anything else yet either because they don't know, aren't allowed, or holding off until E3 Direct.

• Like 1

I like the look of these games, having now seen them shown off in great detail at E3 a few days ago. They look simple, fun, and charming; and the fact that they're a reimagining of the excellent Pokémon Yellow is just icing on the cake. If I do end up getting a Switch at some point this summer I'll definitely snag a deluxe copy of Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! with the Poké Ball Plus accessory for it, since it just looks like way too much fun to play with. :)

Well it appears they're insanely charging $50 for a pokeball, oddly $60 for the game, but if you buy the bundle box it's $100 (-10 off the game) getting both.

Seems expensive, but it does seem to add to the experience and doubles as a pokemon go plus device too with the mobile app + you get Mew.

Yeah, it is a pretty steep price for the bundle at $100 but that Poké Ball Plus is just so darn cool; to me at least. I don't have a smartphone so I'd have no use for the Pokémon Go features but the whole rumble, sound, and lights thing with the ball looks like wonderful way to bring some aspects of Pokémon into the real world and create a more fun and engaging experience than just pressing the A button to catch a pokémon. If it sells well I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up adding some Poké Ball Plus features to the next core series games in 2019 as well.

Edited by Jin

• 5 months later...

i'm necro-ing this thread since it was specific to what I wanted to post. :)

I picked up a Switch this week and got 'Let's Go Eevee'- I got the regular version, tho. I just couldn't justify spending another 40 dollars on a ball controller that likely I'd use like three times then be like 'meh' and it gathers dust, lol.

I think it is a really solid remake of Pokemon Yellow- to be honest I don't miss grinding levels in tall grass, getting a billion Zubats in caves, or any of that kind of stuff. I like that the 'Pokemon Box' is accessible at any time, and if I want to rename my Pokemon I can do that any time as well. The 'catch' mechanic is a little strange but easily learnable, and there's some cool bonuses to 'grinding' the catches.

I've got about 7 hours in my game and so far having a blast.

I'm hoping maybe someone will get me the Pikachu release for Christmas. Yellow is my favorite Pokemon so it's like custom to my interests.

RIght now I'm actually pondering one I did have no interest in which is Pokken Tournament. Seems my brother in law with his 4 kids have a Switch and got that. My daughter got to play it the other week and kicked her cousins ass using Mewtwo and now she wants to play it more. Given how shitty Smash Bros has become with the great watering down of it to mario party online brawler it looks like a really solid option for a Nintendo fighter that doesn't blow and actually is a fighting game too.

• Like 1

that's cool you mention Pokken Tournament, I was kinda curious how that game plays out :) I'm trying really hard to just play Eevee until i finish it and not buy any more games till then so I can actually focus on it.

I haven't played a Smash Brothers game since Melee on the GameCube.

This came up again earlier today here as we happened to go into a Target and they had Eevee hooked up in demo mode. She jumped right into Veridian Forest and it was interesting. The first err 'battle' was a turn off to me. I had to watch her do it a few times before I realized maybe it wasn't such a bad thing. Random pokemon grass/wanderers that trigger something are just Go ball tossing events (meh at first) but it was nice to see you could get cool things and you still get well rewarded with battle XP toward your stock of characters. It seems to level everything too as you have no more remote Bills PC or whatever, it's just your box is there with you. Then she accidentally crossed a path with a bug catcher, and the eevee had a fire move and roasted the brats caterpie to ashes and he moaned, paid about $100, and gave 3 pokeballs up. That's pretty encouraging because you can do some fine leveling and grabbing of interesting stuff you come across. It's not what I'd want to call watered down, there is a mechanic to it, but you're not stuck for hours leveling up a bunch of them and swapping more to do the same which gets really tiring.

• Like 1

I bought this, pikachu version, eventually I'll get a switch.

Is there a trading system? How do you deal with battles with human players (or can you) and I assume since the game is sold with, or without the ball it played fine without it, but does it add anything to have the ball, and does it do anything without the game? Like I was thinking that gba game with the virtual pet thing so you could do stuff with one character without the game.

Anyhow, I don't know how I like the game, but I love the old style, and with a few exceptions, unlike most rpgs, it's grindy if you choose for it to be, not because it's required.

• Like 1