Photo

SIO2USB ?

7 replies to this topic

#1 eflake OFFLINE  

eflake

Space Invader

• 21 posts

Posted Fri Jun 1, 2018 6:50 PM

I want to slap a few images onto a usb stick and feed through the SIO2 port on an Atari 800. What product should I look for or use?  Don't want to have to buy a 1050 drive  to play games :/

Edited by eflake, Fri Jun 1, 2018 6:50 PM.

#2 DrVenkman ONLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 3,492 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Fri Jun 1, 2018 7:05 PM

I want to slap a few images onto a usb stick and feed through the SIO2 port on an Atari 800. What product should I look for or use?  Don't want to have to buy a 1050 drive  to play games :/

That's not gonna work as-is. The Atari SIO protocol has no way to "talk" to a USB stick. However, there are any number of ways to connect the SIO port on your Atari to a modern PC, Mac, Linux box (including a Raspberry Pi) or an Arduino and accomplish the same thing. You can also buy an SIO2SD device (Lotharek in Poland sells them and there are units available on eBay) which will let you put files on an SD card, select them with a tiny display on the device and boot them on the Atari. 

Another option is a flash-memory cartridge (lots of possibilities there these days - there's a sticky thread in the main 8-bit forum that discusses current options). Some of those can handle .ATR disk images, .XEX executable files and/or .CAR cartridge rom images. 

#3 Mathy OFFLINE  

Mathy

River Patroller

• 2,695 posts

Posted Sat Jun 2, 2018 5:26 AM

Hello Herb

Eflake is talking about the SIO2USB, not the SIO2PCviaUSB.

post-5489-1193740163.jpg post-5489-1193740178.jpg post-823-0-09647800-1413728131.jpg

Sincerely

Mathy

#4 DrVenkman ONLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 3,492 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Sat Jun 2, 2018 5:35 AM

Well, what do you know. I've never heard of that one. Looks great. :)

I was thrown off by his posting in the RespeQt subforum. I presumed he wanted to connect to a machine running RespeQt.

#5 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 13,819 posts

Posted Sat Jun 2, 2018 5:37 AM

Unless the OP is fixated on thumb drives, any of Herb's suggestions will work just as well, however.

#6 Mathy OFFLINE  

Mathy

River Patroller

• 2,695 posts

Posted Sat Jun 2, 2018 8:13 AM

Hello Jon

But how many of those are still actively supported by their developers?

Sincerely

Mathy

#7 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 13,819 posts

Posted Sat Jun 2, 2018 9:50 AM

All of them, I think.

#8 eflake OFFLINE  

eflake

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted Sat Jun 2, 2018 11:06 AM

Sorry I didnt mean to post in this forum as it was specific to the topic. Thanks, I wouldn't mind a portable solution but also open to the 'to-pc' connection if i have to squint my eyes to read the display :P

Edited by eflake, Sat Jun 2, 2018 11:06 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users