The AtariAge Forum is undergoing a major upgrade today.  The forum is currently in read-only mode except for the Announcements Forum.  Please read this important post!

Photo

Joysticks for arcade ports

joysticks

2 replies to this topic

#1 deepthaw OFFLINE  

deepthaw

Chopper Commander

• 246 posts
  • Adulthood is overrated

Posted Mon Jun 4, 2018 8:44 AM

I'd like to build an arcade stick for my Genesis - I'd be using it for games like Revenge of Shinobi, Streets of Rage, Thunderforce IV, etc.

Any recommendation on brands for the hardware? I can't think of a reason why the same type of 8-way stick I use for fighting games wouldn't work, but there may or may not be nuances out there of which I'm totally unaware.

#2 Jess Ragan OFFLINE  

Jess Ragan

Phanto of the Opera

• 10,236 posts
  • Keys and Thank You

Posted Mon Jun 4, 2018 9:27 AM

Here's what I know (without looking up more information). Sanwa is the preferred brand of most tournament caliber players. It's got the lightest touch of the big name brand sticks, making it ideal for fighting games. Seimitsu is stiffer and more solid, making it great for games like shoot 'em ups that demand precision. Happ/American style sticks are designed for durability rather than responsiveness. If you're the sort who puts his controllers through the ringer, this might be worth considering... these sticks can handle the abuse.

Arcade buttons have different levels of actuation depending on the brand and other factors. This means that some will take more pressure to activate than others. I've got a MadCatz stick for my Playstation 4 and the actuation on the buttons (Sanwa manufactured, I believe) is ridiculously sensitive, so much so that you can't even rest your fingers on the buttons without triggering them. You'll probably want buttons with more of a dead zone, so you'll only trigger them with deliberate taps.

#3 Wyluli Wolf OFFLINE  

Wyluli Wolf

Moonsweeper

• 419 posts

Posted Thu Jun 7, 2018 1:26 PM

Built this for Sega Genesis.  I went with a Seimitsu joystick and Happ buttons with 50g microswitches.

IMG_0344.JPG

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: joysticks

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users