IGNORED

2600 gray boxes are they rare?

bigfriendly

Seems there's a lot of those late release grey boxes at places like Video61, B&C and Best Electronics still. Probably South America too.

Incredible they'd bother re-releasing the SwordQuest games in that fashion, long after the contest ended/was cancelled. Just a budget minded cash grab on Atari's part BITD, designed to dupe people by the swift box art. lol

• Like 2

Incredible they'd bother re-releasing the SwordQuest games in that fashion, long after the contest ended/was cancelled. Just a budget minded cash grab on Atari's part BITD, designed to dupe people by the swift box art. lol

Atari Corp. inherited excess stock of titles released by the former Warner-owned Atari Inc., including the Swordquest titles (except Waterworld); they repackaged these as cheaply as they reasonably could and sold them mainly to just get rid of them, but also to supplement their support for the their 2600jr. system and generate some income from them. Note that the Atari Corp. reprints of the Swordquest games make no mention of the contest--nor, in fact, do Atari Inc. versions that were distributed after the contest expired.

If it seems ill-considered or anticlimactic for Atari Corp. to have re-released the Swordquest games, remember that this was the company that also reissued titles like Hangman, Fun With Numbers, and Blackjack. ;)

In terms of rarity/collectability, the Atari Corp. gray boxes range from " :sleep: " to " :-o" depending on the title. Not too many people deliberately collect Atari Corp. reprints, but the right buyer might pay a little extra for them (or a lot, again depending on the title). Swordquest: Earthworld probably falls somewhere in the middle. Not common, but not really sought-after, either.

Edited by BassGuitari
  • Like 2

The grey box variants are, in IMHO, a niche line for collectors (for a few titles, there are some interesting label variations on the carts that match the boxes), but I personally find them quite interesting. Within the grey box titles, some are much, much rarer than others (i.e., Pac-Man), and this actually makes them quite a bit rarer than most people might think. Given their late release, they have an unusual place in Atari history.

Here's the list:

Backgammon
BASIC Programming
Basketball
Blackjack
Bowling
Brain Games
Canyon Bomber
Codebreaker
Demons to Diamonds
Flag Capture
Fun with Numbers
A Game of Concentration
Golf
Home Run
Maze Craze
Night Driver
Outlaw
Pac-Man
RealSports Volleyball
Surround
Swordquest - Earthworld
(and before anyone chimes in about Hangman, that release is in its own special category and the box isn't the same type of grey as the other grey box titles.)
  • Like 5

The grey box variants are, in IMHO, a niche line for collectors (for a few titles, there are some interesting label variations on the carts that match the boxes), but I personally find them quite interesting. Within the grey box titles, some are much, much rarer than others (i.e., Pac-Man), and this actually makes them quite a bit rarer than most people might think. Given their late release, they have an unusual place in Atari history.

Here's the list:

Backgammon
BASIC Programming
Basketball
Blackjack
Bowling
Brain Games
Canyon Bomber
Codebreaker
Demons to Diamonds
Flag Capture
Fun with Numbers
A Game of Concentration
Golf
Home Run
Maze Craze
Night Driver
Outlaw
Pac-Man
RealSports Volleyball
Surround
Swordquest - Earthworld
(and before anyone chimes in about Hangman, that release is in its own special category and the box isn't the same type of grey as the other grey box titles.)

Zwackery,

Do you have scans of Backgammon and Outlaw?

8)

At least, there are more that have gray cartridges (but not sure if the boxes match). RealSports Baseball, RealSports Football and Kangaroo come to mind. All have late copyright date versions.

Not all of those had the B/W boxes, though. To the best of my knowledge--and according to videogamevariations.com--no B/W boxes for RealSports Baseball, RealSports Football, or Kangaroo exist.

The B/W boxes seem to have been limited to 1986 and are mostly associated with reissues of Picture Label titles. RealSports Volleyball and SwordQuest: Earthworld are the only 1986 Gray Label games with B/W boxes I've seen. I've never heard of a B/W box with any year other than 1986 on it.

Most of the Gray Label carts (reprints of Silver Label titles), like RS Baseball, RS Football, and Kangaroo didn't appear until '87 and had color boxes, often of the multilingual "international" variety. As far as I can tell, though, these universally came with B/W manuals.

But because Atari Corp. seemed to thrive on inconsistency (much to the aggravation of researchers and collectors :P ), anomalies and exceptions to these general rules exist practically as often as not, such as Breakout, Krull, and E.T., each of whose 1986 box variants are in color. And then are the titles that made it out with copyright dates of 1985, for some of which no "matching" boxes are confirmed at all--Ms. Pac-Man has an '85 box (a color one, at that!), but I haven't found any for others.

And then there's stuff like Hangman, which is on its own planet out there somewhere.

Lots to untangle with Atari Corp. releases. :-D

Edited by BassGuitari
  • Like 1

Not all of those had the B/W boxes, though. To the best of my knowledge--and according to videogamevariations.com--no B/W boxes for RealSports Baseball, RealSports Football, or Kangaroo exist.

The B/W boxes seem to have been limited to 1986 and are mostly associated with reissues of Picture Label titles. RealSports Volleyball and SwordQuest: Earthworld are the only 1986 Gray Label games with B/W boxes I've seen. I've never heard of a B/W box with any year other than 1986 on it.

Most of the Gray Label carts (reprints of Silver Label titles), like RS Baseball, RS Football, and Kangaroo didn't appear until '87 and had color boxes, often of the multilingual "international" variety. As far as I can tell, though, these universally came with B/W manuals.

But because Atari Corp. seemed to thrive on inconsistency (much to the aggravation of researchers and collectors :P ), anomalies and exceptions to these general rules exist practically as often as not, such as Breakout, Krull, and E.T., each of whose 1986 box variants are in color. And then are the titles that made it out with copyright dates of 1985, for some of which no "matching" boxes are confirmed at all--Ms. Pac-Man has an '85 box (a color one, at that!), but I haven't found any for others.

And then there's stuff like Hangman, which is on its own planet out there somewhere.

My copies of Basketball, Canyon Bomber, Homerun, and RS Volleyball are all copyright 1988 on the box (carts, too).

• Like 2

Ah, my Hangman which I sold in 2004, should've known

normal_Picture_006.jpg

• Like 1

Would be great, Zwackery.

I also miss the boxes of Canyon Bomber, Maze Craze and Night Driver.

BTW: did you know there's a special Street Racer as well?

8)

Well, I see the one listed on Atarimania. It would be nice for a non-cut up box to surface. Is it truly PAL? I don't recognize the logo on the price tag, but it has a dollar sign, so maybe from somewhere in North America?

My copies of Basketball, Canyon Bomber, Homerun, and RS Volleyball are all copyright 1988 on the box (carts, too).

Are the boxes B/W, though? I've heard of color '88 boxes but I don't recall B/W ones.

Not that I'd be surprised either way. :P Atari Corp. was so all over the map with their back catalog releases that there are no truly hard and fast rules with them (except maybe for that? :P).

Edited by BassGuitari

Are the boxes B/W, though? I've heard of color '88 boxes but I don't recall B/W ones.

Not that I'd be surprised either way. :P Atari Corp. was so all over the map with their back catalog releases that there are no truly hard and fast rules with them (except maybe for that? :P).

Other than 86 I have in B/W boxes

Home Run 88

Night Driver 87

Canyon Bomber 87

Canyon Bomber 88

RS Volleyball 88

• Like 1

Well, I see the one listed on Atarimania. It would be nice for a non-cut up box to surface. Is it truly PAL? I don't recognize the logo on the price tag, but it has a dollar sign, so maybe from somewhere in North America?

I just recently picked up the weird gray box clamshell Street Racer from Australia. I lean towards the cut-up job being done by a game rental shop and not Atari itself, but given that I cant recall having ever seen anything like it before (specifically, an Atari-produced title with a modified box in a HES-style clamshell case) I really cant say for sure!

The cart is definitely PAL, and the sticker on the case is a Big W sticker, a discount department store in Australia.

My original photos and post here: https://twitter.com/atarispot/status/1003762889877057536?s=21

Other than 86 I have in B/W boxes

Home Run 88

Night Driver 87

Canyon Bomber 87

Canyon Bomber 88

RS Volleyball 88

Ah, you know what? I think I have actually seen a couple of those before. I bet I probably just assumed they were '86 boxes and didn't look closely enough. Learn something new every day! :)

Interesting that the screenshot on the back of Canyon Bomber is actually the "B-Side" of the cartridge, Sea Bomber. Which is actually the better game anyway. :-D

(Of course, the fact that a game as dusty as Canyon Bomber was still being sold toward the dawn of the '90s is interesting in and of itself!)

Would be great, Zwackery.

I also miss the boxes of Canyon Bomber, Maze Craze and Night Driver.

BTW: did you know there's a special Street Racer as well?

8)

I forgot to bring these with me to work today to scan, but here are some placeholder pics.

post-5874-0-38780200-1528770174.jpg

post-5874-0-05899100-1528770187.jpg

post-5874-0-00645700-1528770201_thumb.jpg

post-5874-0-67637300-1528770211_thumb.jpg

post-5874-0-02211600-1528770226_thumb.jpg

post-5874-0-32297800-1528770241_thumb.jpg

• Like 4