IGNORED

Games you actually owned (bought/traded/gifted) from BITD?

I thought maybe this might be an interesting exercise in nostalgia :)

What were your first games for the classic consoles (say, up to the end of the 16-bit era) that were either given as gifts, you personally bought or traded for? For all the nostalgia I have for my classic consoles, I realized I had surprisingly few games! This came up in conversation the other day when a friend of mine and I talked about how, growing up in the 80s (and better part of the 90s), you basically had ONE console...to get another, you usually had to sell (no jobs, I guess) to upgrade, or get your family to gift you a new system. I can honestly say I did not know one person who had multiple consoles (multiple current generation consoles)...a console and a computer, sure...or a handheld to boot (and only one handheld at a time, too, lol).

Anyways, on with the games:

In chronological order:

Colecovision: (system gifted to me, Christmas gift)

Donkey Kong (okay, this one doesn't really count :D but it was the ONLY game I owned for a year, because that's the pack in game! You get reaaallly good at one game when that's your only fix)

Turbo (again, the pack in for Expansion Module 2 :D man...played the crap outta that game! Difficulty Level 1, mostly...why? Who knows, probably because three lives made it too hard!)

Dukes of Hazzard (ok, here we go: gifted, again, and the final game for the Coleco I owned. It was already post-crash, and no option to buy after this for many years)

So that's IT for Coleco, lol! Three bloody games :D All new, of course. Some titles came my way through borrowing from friends, but only three titles. Wow.

NES: (system gifted to me, Christmas gift)

Ninja Gaiden (gifted along with console)

Fester's Quest (gifted along with console)

Cobra Triangle (gifted along with console)

River City Ransom (gift)

Blaster Master (bought myself)

Ninja Gaiden 2 (bought myself)

SNES: (just the console, ZERO games with it, specifically bought it to exchange for a box of like 200+ Atari games and multiple consoles...that, and bought a pawn shop Atari Jr, to officially start retrogaming in 93, 94)

And, sad to say, not one original item from those days were in my possession from when I acquired them...I can't even say what happened to it all for sure, other than selling stuff off to buy booze (d'oh!), or other dumb reasons. I did manage to get back my original NES deck back, though, along with what I believe to be my original Ninja Gaiden (CIB) and Ninja Gaiden 2 (loose). But that's it.

I think it's amazing, and possibly a bit STRANGE how much I love these systems and games, considering how few of them were actually 'mine' back in the day. So much of the experience was built through games that friends owned, and renting (probably the biggest means of new games to try). Contrast that to today, lol...

Although it's out of the scope of this topic, I largely skipped the 16 bit era, and got back onboard with the 32 bit era: a Playstation. But that was once I was basically an adult, bought a bunch of games...and eventually swapped it all in at a retroshop in the early 2000s for a Gameboy SP and game (WarioWare, lol). I regret selling the PS1 stuff, but I truly wasn't using it often at all. I still own the SP and games, and that was the last system I ever traded/sold/got rid of to buy beer (another topic, right?). I ended up buying a fair amount of the PS1 stuff back, but still wish I had kept the memory cards. Who's got the time to log in those hundreds of Gran Turismo hours these days? :D

Anyways, curious to see what stories you guys might have. I'm wordy (no surprise)...just a quick list works too. Thanks!

It would be a bit hard, I'm that person you never bumped into. I had multiple systems as I never was stupid/smart(?) enough to sell my console/games off when the next generation came around. Thanks to stuff like Nintendo Power magazine I knew a good year plus in advance that system was arriving, so I'd sharply cut back on buying games for the outgoing and just start pocketing chore and extra money into my old wooden post office box bank/safe I used. I also had plenty of gifted games too from various holidays and an occasional bone tossed my way. It wouldn't be fair to list stuff if it was everything I bought + gifted in those days (I never traded) as I had 40+ games for the NES and SNES, Gameboy was an equal to that too.

You kind of start out asking what you had when the first came out (let's call it a few month launch window) and later on you're now wordy and leaning more towards anything picked up it looks like. Sticking to a launch window period of time here's what I got.

NES - 1985 (pre) Deluxe Set with Gyromite and Duck Hunt, also gifted that Christmas Super Mario Bros and Hogan's Alley. Shortly into the following year with Christmas cash came Kung Fu then Balloon Fight.

GB - 1989 Christmas again, Tetris(pack in) and Super Mario Land, and within the first few months added Castlevania Adventure and Wizards and Warriors.

SNES - 1991 came with Super Mario World, within 2 weeks of getting it 100% that game while working my ass off to afford Gradius III and ActRaiser. Christmas got me Final Fight, Super Castlevania IV, and Super Ghouls N Ghosts which was a very good start. :) I can't remember if I picked up Final Fantasy II though in 1991 or 1992 but I got that early as well.

SNES I busted my ass off far more being older to get more titles, even then I'd deal shop at times too so I could get more goodies, GB still got attention then too.

• Like 1

I'll give this a try but I have a feeling it's going to be really hard to remember most of my games.

Intellivision (1980 Christmas gift). Either with the system or very soon after, I got:

Skiing

Auto Racing

Armor Battle

Space Battle

Major League Baseball

Horse Racing

NFL Football

I believe all of these were gifts.

Then through the system's run I got:

Astrosmash

Space Armada

Boxing

Pitfall!

Burgertime

Microsurgeon

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons

One or two of these I bought with my allowance and the rest were gifts, but I don't remember which were which. My family was really into giving me video game stuff at that point, though. I think it was easy for them; they didn't need to think about what to get me, just needed to make sure it wasn't a game I already had.

I got an Intellivoice soon after its release, but the only game I ever had for it was B-17 Bomber. I played the hell out of that game, though.

I also got an Intellivision II, I thought for Christmas 1982 but it may have been for my birthday in 1983 instead. I remember my mom saying "are you sure you want this?" because by then she thought I'd be outgrowing games and also I think the crash was kind of in the process of starting, and games were being discounted. I also remember playing Burgertime on my Intellivision I, so I was still using that for some part of 1983. I have very vague memories of actually going with my mom to buy the Intellivision II and it costing $50. I think I was trying to think of something that was pretty cheap for her to give me, since we didn't have much money at the time.

The only games I remember getting after getting my Intelly II were:

Star Strike

Atlantis

Demon Attack

I think Star Strike and Demon Attack were gifts from my mom too; Atlantis I may have bought.

NES Action Set (1985 Christmas gift). I don't think I got anything with the system other than the pack-in game. I think my mom knew SMB/Duck Hunt was in there and SMB was the hot game of that year. I never cared for it that much, though. I feel bad for that now, because I know she thought she had done really well finding an NES that year and keeping it hidden from me. She thought I was gonna love it. Then I wasn't that excited about it, and didn't play SMB much at all. Well, now I appreciate it more.

The only other game I specifically remember getting for it was Ninja Gaiden, which is bizarre because that was like 3 years later. I believe it was a Christmas gift that I asked for. I think I ended up with 5 total NES games, but I don't remember the others.

Sega Genesis (bought myself! Used, for $90.) Really hard to remember all I had for this because I was in a college dorm and we both shared a lot of games and rented from Blockbuster. The ones I *know* I had and were mine:

Altered Beast

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Hardball III

NHL Hockey

NHLPA '93

Joe Montana II Sports Talk Football

John Madden Football '93

Road Rash

Road Rash II

Bought most of those myself except for Sonic 2, which was a Christmas gift in 92. But really, I *played* a whole ton more for that system at the time. I probably played 100 games or more for it in total just in 1992-1993. That's how it ended up as probably my favorite 2D system ever. I saw a lot of what it could do at the time.

• Like 1

My family was really into giving me video game stuff at that point, though. I think it was easy for them; they didn't need to think about what to get me, just needed to make sure it wasn't a game I already had.

Same. My gaming obsession made it really easy.

We got the 2600 right after the "crash" as a Christmas gift from my grandma in 1984. Got the system, two controllers, and like 8 games that year. The ones I remember are:

Jr. Pac-Man (way better than the original on the 2600)

Moon Patrol

E.T.

Q-Bert

Combat

I know there were more. We had like 30 carts. Around 10 years ago, I gifted it to a friend of mine and his kids still play on it today.

That same Christmas, my parents bought me a computer - a Commodore VIC 20. Right before it was discontinued. I god a couple games with it (3 Scott Adams text adventures, Tooth Invaders, and Omega Race). But what I really liked to do with it is make simple programs. Even as a 6-year-old I would go through the manual and really learn how to program in Commodore BASIC. I started by typing out the programs in the back of the manual and then started changing values to see what happened. It started a life-long love affair with learning stuff on my own and computers in general.

1989 is when I got an NES for my birthday with the Zapper, Power Pad and Mario/Duck Hunt/World Class Track Meet. Some of my favorite games ever were there - a year after I got the system, I got Super Mario 3 as a birthday gift right after release. My first RPG - Final Fantasy - and some really great shooters. Super C and Bases Loaded were the first two games I got for the system. I sold this kit when I bought my wife's engagement ring.

Didn't get a Genesis until 1994, with Sonic 2 packed in. I had 50+ games for that thing, partly because in 1996 after the PlayStation made it big, my local Blockbuster started selling 16-bit carts for $5-$10 each. I blew a couple hundred just buying everything that looked cool which I didn't already have. Also sold all of this to get the aforementioned engagement ring.

Anything after that isn't really back in the day because we're talking about 20 years ago. Got an SNES after the N64 was already out. Got a PlayStation a year later. Lots of used games for each. Dreamcast at launch. Everything but the Dreamcast was part of that big sell-off. It was easy to make that choice because by the point I sold those systems (2001) emulation for all of them was basically mature and I had all the ROMs I could want. My wife's a lucky lady. LOL

Of course today I'm back to original hardware. It's my favorite way to play. But now with Everdrives and a USB GD-ROM.

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1

What I really find interesting is how many fans of retro gaming to this day, even though the relative number of games we actually owned was on the lower end of the spectrum (especially compared to today).

I actually forgot one for me, the last game I ever bought for my NES, Final Fantasy. I remember that like yesterday: $114 CDN !!! After dropping that kinda coin from my teenage job of pumping gas, I wouldn't lend it to my buddies in fear that they finished it before me :D I didn't want to rush any part of the game. Took me all summer, but finally got the drop on Chaos. I actually did end up lending it to my best friend for one weekend (no maps, just the cart :D ) and they still destroyed the game in that weekend! Being good friends, they didn't spoil anything from the game afterwards. They just told me how EASY it was and went back to whatever RPGs they were playing on their C64, probably Pool of Radiance or something like that.

I wouldn't buy another system until the PS1 in 98. Still, bought way more games than I ever did on my pre 16 bit era consoles. Maybe around ten? Renting was still big during that period, and also when retro games were showing up in regular game rental spots for purchase. I remember almost snapping up a complete Jaguar system and games...cost pretty ridiculous, even then. But the way that system is going today, I'm sure it would have appreciated in value.

I'm not sure that I can remember all of it- I think when we had our NES that we had something like 25-30 carts for it. I will try to give a brief timeline of my gaming history, tho.

TI 99 4a:

Blasto

Parsec

Alpiner

The Attack

Commodore 64:

Blue Max

Impossible MIssion

Lode Runner

BC's Quest for Tires

Atari 2600:

Adventure

Pitfall

Missile Command

Journey: Escape

NES:

Stinger (my folks bought the NES with this game from an ad in our local paper, ugh. i remember being disappointed that I didn't get Mario/Duck Hunt instead, lol)

Super Mario Bros / Duck Hunt

Mega Man 2

Super Mario 3

Tandy 1000 EX/HX (the EX had the 5 1/4 drive, the HX had the 3 1/2 drive):

Thexder

All things Sierra On-Line (particularly Space Quest / King's Quest)

Infocom adventure games

Game Boy:

Tetris (pack in and the best title for the system, lol)

Castlevania

Super Mario Land

Zelda: Link's Awakening

Sega Genesis:

Sonic the Hedgehog

Phantasy Star III

Altered Beast (the pack in)

SNES:

Super Mario World (pack in)

Final Fight

Final Fantasy II

Super Mario Kart

Packard Bell (?) PC Compatible: (I want to say it was a 486SX/25 mhz or something)

Tie Fighter

X-Wing

Wolfenstein 3D

Doom / Doom II

Atari Jaguar:

Pitfall

that mech game (Iron... Soldier?)

Sega Saturn:

Daytona USA

Nights into Dreams

Game Boy Color:

Pokemon Blue

PS1:

Final Fantasy Tactics

Ehrgeiz (don't judge, lol)

Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped (I think it was called)

FF7, 8, 9

Nintendo 64:

Zelda: OOT

Mario 64

Donkey Kong 64

Game Boy Advance/Advance SP:

Final Fantasy Tactics

Golden Sun 1 / 2

Metroid: Zero Mission

Game Cube:

Super Smash Bros

Super Mario Sunshine (shudder)

F-Zero

Super Mario Kart Double Dash (this was one of the first dates with my now-wife)

PS2: (my wife and i played a LOT of RPGs on this console).

FF10, 10-2, 12

Kingdom Hearts, KH2

Dragon Quest VIII

Disgaea

Sony PSP:

Lumines

XBox 360:

Forza 3

Skyrim (the first time)

Dragon Age Origins, DA2, Inquisition (the first time)

Mass Effect 2, 3

Portal 2

XBox One:

Forza 7 (I had the others but this is the one i'll mention)

Diablo 3

Borderlands: Handsome Collection

Skyrim (the second time)

Modern PC:

Steam, lol- I have lots of different games in lots of genres.

Good grief, what a lot of stuff. I had tons of other games that I either bought or were gifted to me- I started working in 1994 (I'm a young one), so I've bought and traded more games and systems than I can probably even remember.

I just recently re-acquired a 2600 and a TI 99 4a (this time with expansion box), and have probably 20-30 titles for each.

Edited by digdugnate
  • Like 1

What an awesome thread idea! I was just thinking about a similar subject last month, pondering and making a list of all the games I've owned (and later sold) over the years, so I actually already had all this stuff written down.

As a kid I had two game systems. The first was an original Game Boy that I got for Christmas in 1989 when I was 4 years old, and the second was a Sega Genesis that I got a few years later for Christmas in 1992. I owned and played them well into my teens before I foolishly sold both to a local game store to get money for an original PlayStation and (later in my teen years) a certain leafy green substance that I'd rather not spend much time reflecting on.

In any case, as a kid I had some pretty generous grandparents who would buy me a new game from KB Toys once a month or so as long as I had beaten the previous game they bought me so I ended up amassing a pretty enormous (for the time at least) collection of games for both the Game Boy and Sega Genesis. I had a real affinity for licensed games based on movies I liked as a kid, Sonic the Hedgehog and similarly anthropomorphic characters, and fighting games; Mortal Kombat in particular.

At the height of my childhood game collection I had over 30 games for each of my systems, and they were...

Game Boy
Alien 3
Alien vs. Predator: The Last of His Clan
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
Black Bass Lure Fishing
The Castlevania Adventure
Contra: The Alien Wars
Donkey Kong
Double Dragon
Dr. Mario
F-1 Race
The Final Fantasy Legend
Gremlins 2: The New Batch
Jurassic Park
Kid Dracula
Kirby's Dream Land
Kirby's Pinball Land
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Marble Madness
Mega Man IV
Mortal Kombat
Operation C
Primal Rage
Qix
Solar Striker
Spot: The Cool Adventure
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
Super R.C. Pro-Am
Tetris
Yoshi
Yoshi's Cookie

Sega Genesis
Alien 3
Beavis and Butt-Head
B.O.B.
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Brutal: Paws of Fury
Bubsy
Chakan: The Forever Man
Comix Zone
Disney's The Lion King
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco: The Tides of Time
Earthworm Jim
Greendog: The Beached Surfer Dude!
Jurassic Park
Kid Chameleon
Mick & Mack as the Global Gladiators
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat II
NBA Jam: Tournament Edition
Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure
Predator 2
Primal Rage
Ristar
RoboCop Versus The Terminator
Samurai Shodown
Scooby-Doo Mystery
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic Spinball
Street Fighter II': Special Champion Edition
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Zool: Ninja of the "Nth" Dimension
Zoop

At this point I only own a dozen or so of the games that I used to have as a kid, none of them my original complete in box copies of course, but I'd definitely like to get loose carts of all of them again someday. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

I've done what you did sort of, a few I had at one time had to let go of but got back but very few, most I held onto no matter what, and like you generous gifting mostly with holidays and a decent allowance I really did build up those numbers of NES, SNES, and GB games in the 80s/90s where I really did have 40-50 games on each.

I just didn't want to copy and paste my game lists for the 3 which is why I said just remove a few. For any of them pre-2000 I owned almost all of it. The stuff I know I didn't would be like on the NES: Duck Tales 2, Mighty Final Fight, Tengen Tetris. The SNES would be: DKC3, King of Dragons, Ninja Gaiden Trilogy(had them on NES), Civilization (had on PC), and Sunset Riders. And then GB: Ganso Yanchamaru, Genjin Collection, Kaijuu o Godzilla, Mega Man 5, Popn Twinbee(eu), The Getaway, and Trip World.

Everything else off of these links I had in the 20th century.

http://tanooki.byethost16.com/nintendo.html

http://tanooki.byethost16.com/supernintendo.html

http://tanooki.byethost16.com/gameboy.html

• Like 1

Ok, so I have an uncanny knack for remembering where I got my games as a kid, down to the store they came from in most cases. This should be interesting.

Colecovision: This was technically my older sister's, but I ended up "inheriting" it when she moved on from playing games. I was probably about 4 or 5 when I took it over. She got it for Xmas of 1982, but I have no clue where and when the games came from. We had the following:

-Donkey Kong

-Donkey Kong Jr

-Smurfs

-Venture

-Space Panic

-Space Fury

-Ladybug

-Mouse Trap

-Cosmic Avenger

-Carnival

-Popeye

-Pitfall

-River Raid

-Oil's Well

Nintendo Entertainment System: I got this for Xmas in 1987, and it was the Deluxe Set with R.O.B. which I still have. I will try and list the games from back then that I still have (unless otherwise noted), and where I got them.

-Duck Hunt: pack-in

-Gyromite: pack-in

-Super Mario Bros: Xmas gift from aunt and uncle

-Ghosts & Goblins: birthday gift from mom's friend

-Tiger-Heli: Service Merchandise, first game I ever bought myself

-Bad Dudes: BJ's Wholesale Club

-Zelda II: Child World

-Double Dragon II: Child World

-Castlevania II: Child World

-Ninja Gaiden: Child World, lost the original and had to re-purchase later

-Super C: Child World

-Conquest of the Crystal Palace: Child World

-Solstice: Caldor

-TMNT: birthday present from parents

-Ducktales: gift from cousins

-Karate Champ: gift from cousins

-Ikari Warriors: gift from cousins

-Ice Hockey: gift from cousins

-Zelda: Saturday Matinee

-Astyanax: Saturday Matinee

-Wrath of the Black Manta: Saturday Matinee

-Ninja Gaiden II: gift from friend who had two copies of it

-Rescue: The Embassy Mission: gift from friend

-Super Mario Bros. 3: birthday present from sister's ex-boyfriend

-Mega Man 3: gift from friend

-Totally Rad: rental store that went out of business before I could return it (yes, this happened!)

-Rad Racer: Xmas gift from grandmother

Then, I discovered $10 used games at a local flea market. It was like hitting the jackpot! I was getting games there every weekend for months!

-Mike Tyson's Punch Out: flea market, lost when a friend borrowed it and never returned it

-Jackal: flea market

-Contra: flea market

-Castlevania: flea market

-Blaster Master: flea market

-Commando: flea market

-Adventure Island: flea market

-Top Gun: flea market

-Life Force: flea market

-NARC: flea market

-Super Mario Bros 2: flea market

-The Adventures of Bayou Billy: flea market

-Gauntlet: flea market

-Dragon Warrior: flea market

-Dr. Mario: flea market

-Wizards & Warriors: flea market

-After Burner: flea market, lost

-StarTropics: flea market

I also was smart enough back then to snag games and consoles from friends that were "outgrowing" their NES stuff when new consoles were coming out:

-Tecmo Bowl: friend

-TMNT II: friend

-Burgertime: friend

-Galaga: friend

-Captain Skyhawk: Friend

-RC Pro Am: friend

-Battletoads: friend

-Base Wars: friend

-The Black Bass: friend

-Wall Street Kid: friend

-Hogan's Alley: friend

I think that's it for the NES. As you can tell, I was NES obsessed.

Game Boy: This one I got either for Xmas in 1989 or 1990, I can't remember honestly. I bought A LOT of games at local electronics chain Lechmere, which was AWESOME back in the day, so many came from there.

-Tetris: pack-in

-Super Mario Land: same flea market those NES games came from

-Super RC Pro Am, F1 Race, sweet Game Boy Fanny Pack (!!!) and multiplayer adapter: Came as a special bundle from Lechmere

-Kid Icarus: Lechmere

-Gargoyle's Quest: friend

-Metroid II: Lechmere, lost on a high school trip

-Operation C: Lechmere, lost on a high school trip

-Zelda: Link's Awakening: Lechmere

-Samurai Showdown: Software ETC

-Star Trek: 25th Anniversary: Lechmere

-Castlevania Adventure: (where else?) Lechmere

Genesis: I got it for my birthday around 1993, I believe. My birthday is in January, and I got it right after Sonic 2 came out, so that makes sense. The console itself was a "Core" system, and a Model 1 High Definition, and it's still my main player!

-Sonic 2: birthday present

-Sonic The Hedgehog: bought from neighbor for $5 at his yard sale

-Revenge of Shinobi: bought from random used game stand in a local mall

-Golden Axe: Saturday Matinee

-Gaiares: Saturday Matinee

-Fighting Masters: Saturday Matinee

-Cyborg Justice: Lechmere

-Heavy Nova: Lechmere (came bundled with a terrible "Doc's" 3-button turbo controller that was all but useless)

-Streets of Rage 2: Lechmere

-Eternal Champions: Lechmere

-Phantasy Star IV: Circuit City Express ($19.99 marked down from $99.99!!!)

-NBA Showdown '94: first game I ever pre-ordered, from Software ETC

-Bubsy: Lechmere

I discovered soon after getting the Genesis that KB Toys had an EXCELLENT bargain bin with great games at $19.99 each. I spent a lot of my paper route money there!

-Chiki Chiki Boys: KB Toys

-Super Street Fighter II: KB Toys

-World Heroes: KB Toys

-Contra Hard Corps: KB Toys

-Rocket Knight Adventures: KB Toys

-Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition: KB Toys

-Gunstar Heroes: KB Toys

-Zombies Ate My Neighbors: KB Toys

SNES: I was a late arrival on the SNES scene; I got mine the day after Xmas in 1995. Funny story: I was old enough that my parents just asked me what I wanted that year and I told them SNES and I would cover the cost of games (I had a paper route). My parents bought me the SNES, and I found it by snooping around the house. It was a weird "sports" bundle I have never seen again, and included Stanley Cup Hockey and NCAA Basketball. Well, it was supposed to. I saw that the box was open and it was missing a game! So, I acted "surprised" that I got it for Xmas, and even more "surprised" when the game was missing. So, we took it back to the store the day after Xmas and returned it. They didn't have any more SNES's in stock, so we went to KB Toys, where I had been buying lost of my Genesis stuff lately. I got a "Control Deck" and a few games of my choosing, so it worked out in the end. I didn't have a lot of games for it, and I still don't, but I love the console!

-Super Mario World: KB Toys

-Samurai Showdown: KB Toys

-Super Castlevania IV: KB Toys

-Super Ghouls and Ghosts: KB Toys

-Super Mario Kart: gift from cousin

-Final Fight: birthday gift from my sister, used at Software ETC ( I picked it out!)

-UN Squadron: Software ETC

And I'll cut it off there, because after that it was the 32-bit stuff. And no, I didn't have an Atari back then; I got mine later around 2002 when I was in college from a co-worker. I probably missed a few games here and there, but that's what I can remember.

• Like 1

What I really find interesting is how many fans of retro gaming to this day, even though the relative number of games we actually owned was on the lower end of the spectrum (especially compared to today).

My bargain-hunting ways allowed my collections to boom right as the system died. When the SNES and Genesis were duking it out, I was buying all my friends' NES games at $3-4 each any time I came into some extra cash because they were like "well I don't play these anymore and I'd like to get a few bucks". And I mentioned before about how Blockbuster was clearing out Genesis stuff when I bought all those. I've always been a cheapskate, and that includes after a console is past its prime. :lol:

• Like 1

Atari 2600: I got this around the time of the crash, so I had a big pile of games.

Pac-Man

Night Driver

Human Cannonball

Circus Atari

Cosmic Ark

Atlantis

Riddle of the Sphynx

Joust

Turmoil

Cosmic Creeps

Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi Death Star Battle

Kangaroo

Q*bert

Sky Jinks

Popeye

Reactor

Asteroids

Omega Race

Space Invaders

Fire Fighter

Defender

RealSports Volleyball

Atari 7800:

Food Fight

Dig Dug

Ms. Pac-Man

Pole Position II

NES:

Super Mario Bros.

Commando

Marble Madness

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out

The Legend of Zelda

Zelda 2

Air Fortress

Castlevania

Solstice

Genesis:

Sonic

Sonic 2

Strider

F22 Interceptor

Sword of Vermillion

Alien Storm

Starflight

Shining in the Darkness

Altered Beast

SNES:

Final Fantasy II

Final Fantasy III

Zelda III

Super Metroid

Secret of Mana

Street Fighter II: World Warrior

Super Castlevania IV

Axelay

Donkey Kong Country

Killer Instinct

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure

• Like 1

I don't think I understand exactly what this thread is supposed to be... Are you wanting a list of the games we had in the 80s/90s? We had hundreds we either bought at yard sales, bought new (I remember being first in line for SMB3 and Tecmo Super Bowl the day they came out)

I mean, we had a VCS, NES, and Genesis as consoles well into the 90s... we had a TI-99/4A, a Macintosh Plus, and the early Performa. For my VCS and NES, I had boxes and boxes of games I got from yard sales and Flea Markets in the early 90s.... I remember buying a NES with 40 games and 2 controllers for $15 at a yard sale in 1993.

It would almost be easier to list the games I DIDN'T have for those systems. :D

But I'll never forget standing in line for 2 hours with my dad to be the first one to get SMB3... We lived in Summerfields Texas and I got my copy of the game at the North Richland Hills mall, right next to the movie theater. :)

• Like 1

Well...

I first remember a Pong clone. I mean, everyone had one. No idea what happened to it. I was too young to be a part of the decision making back then...

Next I remember my 2600. I had:

- Combat (of course)

- Pac Man (of course)

- Barnstorming

- River Raid

- Yars Revenge (story below)

- Starmaster

- Donkey Kong

This system and all the games were lost in a house fire when I was around 7th grade. (Lost my River Raiders patch that I had sent a photo off to Activision for, too!)

My dad won a 2600 and some games at a grocery store grand opening as a door prize. Since we already had a 2600, he stored this one away. I was allowed to pick one game out of the ones that came with it. I picked Yars Revenge. No idea what ever happened to that system and games, but I'm sure it was sold off.

I got an NES for my birthday one year around 7th or 8th grade.

I had...

- Super Mario/Duck Hunt (of course)

- Spy Hunter

- Castlevania

- Metal Gear

- Joust

I actually got my TurboGrafx-16 while I still had my NES. But at some point, all my NES stuff was stupidly sold in a garage sale. Someone got a HELL of a deal. (I had the NES and games, plus NES Advanatage, NES Max, Power Glove, Zapper, and probably two years of Nintendo Power magazine.)

My Turbo I got for Christmas around 91 or 92... don't remember the exact year...

I had...

- Keith Courage (of course)

- The Legendary Axe

- Blazing Lazers

I've since added to that TurboGrafx library, but those were the ones I got when I originally got the system. Keith Courage came with the system. It was my dad and step mom that were getting me the system, and my mom wanted to get me a game that went with it, but wanted to make sure it would be one I wanted, so she told me what they were getting me, had me pick out a game, and told me to act surprised when I opened everything. The system came with a "buy a TurboGrafx get a free game" promo where you would send in a card that came with the system with proof of purchase and UPC and get a free game. I got Blazing Lazers with that deal.

Since then I've acquired more TurboGrafx games. A few I bought from Hastings when they started selling off their rental games (Psychosis, World Class Baseball, Military Madness). Some from pawn shops (World Court Tennis). Some from TurboZoneDirect when they were still functioning (Time Cruise, TV Sports Football). Some from Ebay (Raiden, R-Type, JJ and Jeff). Some from local game shops (Galaga 90, Ninja Spirit). And some I don't remember where I got them (Alien Crush, Devil's Crush, Bonk's Adventure, Bonk's Revenge). Some of these I got long after the end of the 16 bit era, bus still figured I'd list them...

Out of all those Turbo games, the only one I don't still have is Time Cruise. It was a later release and didn't come with a jewel case iirc. So it was probably still in the box when my step mom "cleaned" my room after I moved out. Sigh...

Edit: Recently took a pic of my TurboGrafx stuff... :D

post-21069-0-11592500-1528893842_thumb.jpg

Edited by Eltigro
  • Like 3

I don't think I understand exactly what this thread is supposed to be... Are you wanting a list of the games we had in the 80s/90s? We had hundreds we either bought at yard sales, bought new (I remember being first in line for SMB3 and Tecmo Super Bowl the day they came out)

I mean, we had a VCS, NES, and Genesis as consoles well into the 90s... we had a TI-99/4A, a Macintosh Plus, and the early Performa. For my VCS and NES, I had boxes and boxes of games I got from yard sales and Flea Markets in the early 90s.... I remember buying a NES with 40 games and 2 controllers for $15 at a yard sale in 1993.

It would almost be easier to list the games I DIDN'T have for those systems. :D

But I'll never forget standing in line for 2 hours with my dad to be the first one to get SMB3... We lived in Summerfields Texas and I got my copy of the game at the North Richland Hills mall, right next to the movie theater. :)

Basically, yes...the games you actually owned back in the day (whenever that day was) for the classic systems SNES and before. I wanted to see if, like many of my friends and I, we owned many games....or did we rent, trade, get gifts, etc to get more games. For most of me and my friends, it was all about trading and renting. Most didn't own more than ten games on the NES.

Personally, I just love hearing the stories of how people came to get their games. Flea markets for me were more in the VCS era, because we just didn't have many flea markets (great for board games, though). Second hand stores, pawn shops...those were the very first places that I'd find retro games at. And usually they were pretty inexpensive...but the selection was pretty modest. I remember I passed up a Lynx with a few games, they wanted quite a bit for it, even for then. I had more strength to walk away in those days :D

For myself, I didn't include 'massive' buys...like the individual titles of VCS games I got in exchange for the SNES. It was hundreds of carts, lol. Maybe I should have specified 'new' titles...that would probably have made the list a lot smaller. But unlike Cher, I can't turn back time, so go with what you think would cover the spirit of the thread and enjoy the stroll down memory lane :D

Ooh, I forgot to mention the game that I just had to get a PlayStation for. What I drove to Walmart at 9pm to get because I just had to get in line for one of the first midnight releases I can recall. I bought a PlayStation, a memory card, and...

...drum roll...

WWF Attitude. It was not as good as GameRankings implies. I agree with Gaming Age's C- or Game Vortex's 60/100. It was a C- to a D- title, even as far as wrestling games go. I was expecting a PlayStation/WWF version of WCW vs NWO (on the N64). I was sorely disappointed.

But I eventually got into a ton of PlayStation JRPGs. Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX; Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete; Lunar Eternal Blue complete (which I pre-ordered and didn't get the day it came out because of a huge snow storm); Wild Arms...that system was a huge time sink for me once I figured out what to get.

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1

Flea markets never were a thing to me until around the late 00s. I knew local joints with plenty and super cheap and each pieces of paper or a plastic slip werent and upsell. I did get one flea game though new in the new era. Only time non holiday my father ever got me a game. Ghosts n goblins. I vaguely remember a full table of sealed new games lined up on their side and grabbing it. My bitd would be n64 in college and back to the 80s so I count anything I bought or was gifted new perhaps second hand too so nice the stuff still was at retail in select places befor game shops were a thing after funcoland cratered.

• Like 1

Games I remember renting:

Tiger-Heli (NES)

Legend of Zelda (NES)

Break-thru (NES)

Mickey Mousecapade (NES)

3-D World Runner (NES)

Castlevania II (NES)

1942 (NES)

Gyruss (NES)

Lunar Pool (NES)

Shadowgate (NES)

Platoon (NES)

Ironsword Wizards and Warriors 2 (NES)

A Boy and his Blob (NES)

Robocop (NES)

Jackal (NES)

Blaster Master (NES)

Super Off Road (NES)

Contra (NES)

Super C (NES)

Tetris (NES)

Tengen Tetris (NES)

Vindicators (NES)

Excitebike (NES)

Gauntlet (NES)

Military Madness (TG-16)

Ordyne (TG-16)

Psychosis (TG-16)

Splatterhouse (TG-16)

MotoRoader (TG-16)

Neutopia (TG-16)

Legendary Axe II (TG-16)

Games I remember borrowing

Mike Tyson's Punch Out (NES)

Games I remember going to a friend's house to play

Tecmo Bowl (NES)

Super Mario Bros 2 (NES)

Iron Tank (NES)

Double Dribble (NES)

Gyromite (NES)

Super Mario World (SNES)

Uniracers (SNES)

The Blues Brothers (SNES)

The Lost Vikings (SNES)

Games I remember loaning out to friends

Metal Gear (NES)

I probably missed quite a few, but I rented a LOT of games back when I was in middle school. My best friend and I would ride our bikes down to the local mom-and-pop rental store and get something then take it back home and stay up most of the evening playing it. I don't remember what games he had other than Mike Tyson.

I never knew anyone else with a TurboGrafx so never did much trading or borrowing with those. lol

Edited by Eltigro
  • Like 1

Wow, TG16 rental...I don't think our city had that. At least nowhere we went. Blackbuster was pretty much NES, SNES, Genesis...by the time the Playstation rolled around I was renting from more 'gamer' specific places. I actually remember renting a couple Gameboy Advance games that I ended up eventually buying, years down the road: Sega Classics and Desert Strike.

Anybody who rented Punch Out back in the day...I think it was an age thing, where we just couldn't figure out the timing for Bald Bull's charge. It was a great rental, right up until you got to Bald Bull...then the gnashing of teeth and lamentations began. Sometimes you got extremely lucky and could TKO him without him constantly charging...and then the upgraded Honda would take us out pretty quick :D That was...summer of 88? Once we did figure it out, though...Sandman was a pain in the ass. And everybody after him. Lots of good memories with that game. Still have never made it to the third round with Mike.

Edited by atarilovesyou
  • Like 1

The local Hastings rented out the TurboGrafx games for a while. But that was the only place I remember them. Several of my current games were rental games at that store that I bought when they were getting rid of their TurboGrafx rental games.

There was also a place in the same shopping center that was a unique gaming place. They had a small area up front with a counter and register or whatever, and then a gated off kind of area in the back. The place was split about 60/40 with the back 60% being a bunch of televisions hooked up to Genesis and TurboGrafx systems. You would pay up front for a certain amount of time, say an hour, and then go in the back area and play whatever you wanted, switching to different stations/games, until your time was up. I only did it once, that I remember, but played Air Diver, Mickey's Castle of Illusion, Golden Axe, Boxy Boy and some others. I think you could also request certain games if they had them and they weren't already set up. It was kinda cool, but didn't last long.

• Like 1

Wow, TG16 rental...I don't think our city had that. At least nowhere we went. Blackbuster was pretty much NES, SNES, Genesis...by the time the Playstation rolled around I was renting from more 'gamer' specific places. I actually remember renting a couple Gameboy Advance games that I ended up eventually buying, years down the road: Sega Classics and Desert Strike.

Anybody who rented Punch Out back in the day...I think it was an age thing, where we just couldn't figure out the timing for Bald Bull's charge. It was a great rental, right up until you got to Bald Bull...then the gnashing of teeth and lamentations began. Sometimes you got extremely lucky and could TKO him without him constantly charging...and then the upgraded Honda would take us out pretty quick :D That was...summer of 88? Once we did figure it out, though...Sandman was a pain in the ass. And everybody after him. Lots of good memories with that game. Still have never made it to the third round with Mike.

Soda Popinski was the next very annoying fighter after Bald Bull. He's so fast. Back then I didn't know the trick where you press down when Soda ducks to do an uppercut to get stars on him for instant knockdowns.

• Like 1

Ninja Gaiden was one of my favorite rentals BITD. I was instantly captivated upon seeing the amazing screenshots on the back of the box and the game did not disappoint. It all seemed so much harder when I was a kid, whereas now I can blaze through it. I could never get past Bloody Malth. He seemed like the final boss because he was so tough and his attack impossible to dodge. I didn't know that you're supposed to go up to him and spam your sword until he dies.

Batman the Video Game was another favorite rental, and another that is fairly easy for me now, but was so much harder back then. Those jumping enemies from the third stage got me every time. NES games were a lot more challenging when you couldn't look up strats on the internet.

I also enjoyed renting Bayou Billy, one of the most underrated games on the system. Sure, I couldn't beat the driving stage, but it was fun. The graphics were good and there was a nice variety of stages. I didn't know that it was supposed to be bad just because it's very difficult. Too many people think that a game is bad just because it's hard. As with some other games that were too hard for me as a kid, I can beat the game now as an adult.

• Like 1

Out of all the things I've lost from my childhood thanks to moves, theft, me selling stupidly, I do have some stuff I owned "BITD":

-NES deck with controllers, zapper, power supply and original AV cords: the pins aren't from back then but everything else is. The games I originally had are SMB/Duck Hunt (with a Nintendo cartridge case and the instruction book), Kid Icarus, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Golf and I think Milon's Secret Castle. I didn't own many games but I rented. A lot.

-Box for Super Mario Game and Watch:some a-hole stole my G&W from my home. I figured out who but I never saw him after.

-Coleco Frogger mini arcade: bought this at a garage sale back in middle school. Still works.

-Mattel handheld football: still rockin' it. Still works. Had this since I was probably 4.

-2 Super Mario and a Link pin: One pin is Mario in his red and blue outfit. The other in the Fire Flower outfit. Link is kneeling holding his sword and shield. I used to have The Legend of Zelda logo pin but that got lost. I bought these from K-Mart after beating the first two SMBs and both Zeldas on NES.

-Switchbox for RCA Studio II: no idea why I have this yet.

That's all I can think of. Quasi-related: I have all my AD&D books from when I was a teen.

• Like 1

I got my vader Christmas 84 I believe, when et was new. Et and Pac man was the games I got with it. Quickly got donkey Kong and pitfall for it. Over the next year I got digdug, frogger, combat. Over the next few years I got tons of games, to many to mention really. When nes came out, you could get games galore for a nickel to a buck a pop. Most were a quarter range.

It wasn't till 93 I got a snes and bought myself a gameboy. Had super Mario world as the pack in, and got Zelda and kablooey. Don't remember when they came out but got sim city, populous and lemmings over the next few years. For game boy I got Tetris packed in, zelda, mari o land and Dr mario. Next year I got a super game boy and donkeykong.

In 97 I think I got the new nes, when it launched. All the obligatory marios, tetris, Dr mario, both Zelda and pinbot.

By 98 I had a real job and that was the first year I got two systems, a 64 and a 6k psx. I've always gotten two of the current three modern gen from that point on.

As a kid, I never had much outside of atari, but I wasn't one of those "sell it to buy newer" either. I still have most my original games and systems. From 98 to 02 k got most the 8-16 bit systems I'd missed over the years. Outside of original xbox, I've never gotten a launch day system. I probably average 100 or so games for every system I own, excluding current gen stuff.

Edited by Video
  • Like 1

Ninja Gaiden was one of my favorite rentals BITD. I was instantly captivated upon seeing the amazing screenshots on the back of the box and the game did not disappoint. It all seemed so much harder when I was a kid, whereas now I can blaze through it. I could never get past Bloody Malth. He seemed like the final boss because he was so tough and his attack impossible to dodge. I didn't know that you're supposed to go up to him and spam your sword until he dies.

Batman the Video Game was another favorite rental, and another that is fairly easy for me now, but was so much harder back then. Those jumping enemies from the third stage got me every time. NES games were a lot more challenging when you couldn't look up strats on the internet.

I also enjoyed renting Bayou Billy, one of the most underrated games on the system. Sure, I couldn't beat the driving stage, but it was fun. The graphics were good and there was a nice variety of stages. I didn't know that it was supposed to be bad just because it's very difficult. Too many people think that a game is bad just because it's hard. As with some other games that were too hard for me as a kid, I can beat the game now as an adult.

You covered a trinity of sorts with those three games! Gaiden I've played to death, love it. If you're a huge fan, check out the vinyl OST (or CDs) from the game, and relive it while driving in your car :D

Batman, I've still yet to finish. I'm still trying to find the rom that hacks the colours to a more 89-movie like experience. Little things like that get me that much more into the game.

Bayou Billy, we did finish, but weren't too happy about it. That game was difficult to the point of being unfair. The enemies just keep coming on that final stage...and coming, and coming. I can't remember but we did require a bit of luck to wrap it back in the day. Once we beat it, that was it, never again. We were really impressed that the game had three different types of action, which for a rental was really awesome. Would have been a fun two player co-op game!

These days, I don't go to the internet looking for tips to beat these games. I like to cycle through my collection every few years or so, usually just long enough to forget enough of the game to have it become a novelty again. Works great for me :D But I can't tell you how long it sets me back playing the Mega Man series, lol. That first one is hard, until you figure out the patterns of the final boss. Then it's kinda exhilarating! I have yet to beat the third MM and beyond. I love the series though, big NES history.

Out of all the things I've lost from my childhood thanks to moves, theft, me selling stupidly, I do have some stuff I owned "BITD":

-NES deck with controllers, zapper, power supply and original AV cords: the pins aren't from back then but everything else is. The games I originally had are SMB/Duck Hunt (with a Nintendo cartridge case and the instruction book), Kid Icarus, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Golf and I think Milon's Secret Castle. I didn't own many games but I rented. A lot.

-Box for Super Mario Game and Watch:some a-hole stole my G&W from my home. I figured out who but I never saw him after.

-Coleco Frogger mini arcade: bought this at a garage sale back in middle school. Still works.

-Mattel handheld football: still rockin' it. Still works. Had this since I was probably 4.

-2 Super Mario and a Link pin: One pin is Mario in his red and blue outfit. The other in the Fire Flower outfit. Link is kneeling holding his sword and shield. I used to have The Legend of Zelda logo pin but that got lost. I bought these from K-Mart after beating the first two SMBs and both Zeldas on NES.

-Switchbox for RCA Studio II: no idea why I have this yet.

That's all I can think of. Quasi-related: I have all my AD&D books from when I was a teen.

Cool! Which books, by the way? I picked up a bunch from a (now defunct) cool bookstore, a mix between the original and some of the newer 80s stuff. I had a nice Deities and Demigods (with the Cthulu chapter still included!) but some fool put plastic mac-tack on the covers. Still a fun read! I ended up picking up the 30th anniversary Gary Gygax triple set of PM, DMG and MM a few years ago. The original stuff I gifted to my bro inlaw, who still plays weekly (!) with a group of likeminded nerds. I love those old DnD books, the artwork for me is just the best...takes you back to when you thought this stuff was actually evil :D