Apple IIGS rtc battery options question

1 reply to this topic

#1 seastalker OFFLINE  

seastalker

Chopper Commander

• 167 posts

Posted Wed Jun 6, 2018 8:51 PM

Perhaps your Apple expertise would know more about this Apple IIGS product:

My Rom1 Woz Edition GS: Online guides and videos say to ONLY use original PART NO: TADIRAN BATTERIES TL-5902/P 1.2 Ah, 3.6 V, 1/2AA. Prior to that tidbit, I ordered someone's suggested Tadiran TL-5101/P at 3.6V 0.95Ah 2-Pin. I'm concerned about the 0.95Ah if the original is 1.2 Ah. Other guides say NOT to use alternative brands like SAFT and GMPower, etc. I know the battery is just for RTC but:

QUESTION: Can two convenient AAA 1.5v cells really work well on a GS? I'd like to avoid damaging the motherboard, exploding batteries, smoking computer etc. I use RECHARGABLE batteries - see any harm over traditional ones? Thanks!

#2 Polymorph OFFLINE  

Polymorph

Space Invader

• 36 posts

Posted Wed Jun 6, 2018 11:04 PM

Perhaps your Apple expertise would know more about this Apple IIGS product:

My Rom1 Woz Edition GS: Online guides and videos say to ONLY use original PART NO: TADIRAN BATTERIES TL-5902/P 1.2 Ah, 3.6 V, 1/2AA. Prior to that tidbit, I ordered someone's suggested Tadiran TL-5101/P at 3.6V 0.95Ah 2-Pin. I'm concerned about the 0.95Ah if the original is 1.2 Ah. Other guides say NOT to use alternative brands like SAFT and GMPower, etc. I know the battery is just for RTC but:

QUESTION: Can two convenient AAA 1.5v cells really work well on a GS? I'd like to avoid damaging the motherboard, exploding batteries, smoking computer etc. I use RECHARGABLE batteries - see any harm over traditional ones? Thanks!

I've personally used a different brand 1/2AA 3.6V battery with one of my ROM01 IIgs machines (I don't remember the brand, I bought it from my local electronics store 10+ years ago).

I've also used 3 x 1.2V AAA rechargeable batteries (in a different ROM01 machine) in a home made caddy for years with alligator clips connecting it to the motherboard.

As long as you supply ~3.6V and have the polarity wired up correctly, I don't think you can cause much harm.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users