ti-99/4a black screen beeping screaming

7 replies to this topic

#1 RenegadeR OFFLINE  

RenegadeR

Combat Commando

• 3 posts

Posted Fri Jun 8, 2018 5:37 AM

Hello Guys,

I am trying to get back into the TI-99/4A which was my first computer and this is where my love for programming started.

So I bought one from a local website and I was very happy to see that it looked amazing but the problem is that it doesn't boot I just got a black screen and continuous beeping sound, and after I told the seller he did not replay back :(

I have been trying some stuff to fix it, after looking at a couple of threads here and getting some troubleshooting manuals I ordered a TMS9929ANL from ebay and replaced it and the problem is the same, also I saw some people mention the MCM6810P ram chips so I also ordered those and replaced them and still it acts the same.

Could it be the GROMs? I cannot find them anywhere, the CD2155NL, CD2156NL and the CD2157NL does anyone have some of these and are willing to sell them?

Anyways any kind of help is welcome, I already got my FinalGROM 99 cartridge from the amazing Ralph Benzinger but that will have to wait until my TI-99/4A works.

Thanks!

Rene

#2 Lee Stewart OFFLINE  

Lee Stewart

River Patroller

• 3,691 posts

Posted Fri Jun 8, 2018 6:24 AM

See near end of first post of this pinned thread: New to the group? TI-99/4A FAQ, Hardware and software resources READ FIRST!

...lee

#3 RenegadeR OFFLINE  

RenegadeR

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted Fri Jun 8, 2018 5:34 PM

Thanks!

And I am happy to tell you that my TI-99/4A is fixed now!!

So it seems it was one of those MCM6810P, now it works perfectly :D also the FinalGROM 99 is amazing all the games that I never could buy when I was young I can play now.

Can't play many of the homebrew as it seems you need 32K for that so that will be my next purchase.

#4 Arnuphis OFFLINE  

Arnuphis

Moonsweeper

• 306 posts
  • Loading...Please Wait

Posted Fri Jun 8, 2018 5:35 PM

Great news. Welcome back to the TI world. Great place to be :)

#5 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

Stargunner

• 1,383 posts

Posted Fri Jun 8, 2018 5:54 PM

welcome back!  i think personally the barrier to entry is fairly easy to overcome- won't take a lot to get a 'full' system :)

#6 RenegadeR OFFLINE  

RenegadeR

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted Sat Jun 9, 2018 6:39 PM

So I think a 32kb memory expansion and a speech synthesizer and a joystick splitter so I can use my C64 joysticks.

That should be enough to play most games?

#7 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

Stargunner

• 1,383 posts

Posted Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:31 AM

i would think so!

#8 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,353 posts

Posted Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:14 PM

All are in stock at arcadeshopper.com speech and 32k and joystick adapters

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ti-99/4a, black screen, beeping, screaming

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users