Photo

Does the TI99/4A have a "Drivewire" type of solution?

6 replies to this topic

#1 AtariLeaf ONLINE  

AtariLeaf

Epic Godlike Canadian

• 10,790 posts

Posted Sat Jun 9, 2018 9:44 AM

I just picked up a TI99/4A with some joysticks, the voice module and a few carts for $50 yesterday and was wondering if there's a cheap, easy way to get games onto the system similar to the Drivewire solution on the Tandy Coco in that you use a cable or cables to get games from a modern PC to the TI. I'm not interested in collecting for the system, just want to experience some games on real hardware in the most economic way possible.

#2 Lee Stewart ONLINE  

Lee Stewart

River Patroller

• 3,728 posts

Posted Sat Jun 9, 2018 9:53 AM

I just picked up a TI99/4A with some joysticks, the voice module and a few carts for $50 yesterday and was wondering if there's a cheap, easy way to get games onto the system similar to the Drivewire solution on the Tandy Coco in that you use a cable or cables to get games from a modern PC to the TI. I'm not interested in collecting for the system, just want to experience some games on real hardware in the most economic way possible.

A good place to start to assess your options is New to the group? TI-99/4A FAQ, Hardware and software resources READ FIRST!.

...lee

#3 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,605 posts

Posted Sat Jun 9, 2018 10:29 AM

It's called HDX and is detailed in the faq as Lee stated

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

#4 chue OFFLINE  

chue

Moonsweeper

• 274 posts

Posted Sat Jun 9, 2018 10:45 AM

For games, you probably want to take a look at the FinalGrom, which is an SD based multi-cart.  SD is not a wire, but it's not too bad to take it out of the cart and put into a PC.

The FinalGrom is in Lee's link as well.

#5 AtariLeaf ONLINE  

AtariLeaf

Epic Godlike Canadian

• Topic Starter
  • 10,790 posts

Posted Sat Jun 9, 2018 10:52 AM

I'll check those links and options thanks everyone. :)

#6 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• 12,698 posts

Posted Sat Jun 9, 2018 2:52 PM

... just want to experience some games on real hardware in the most economic way possible.

The most economical?

I'd say, if you're good with a soldering iron << THIS 32K MODIFICATION >> by Tursi, coupled with a << FlashROM 99 >>

and a cheap << 99 cent SD card >> from eBay would be the cheapest way to go.

However, the cheapest way is not always the preferred or easiest way.  If I was going to recommend a 'starter package' for a newbie or returning TI'er, I say go with the << FinalGROM 99 >> as it will give you more options, and also get one of JediMatt42's

<< 32K sidecar expansions>>.  This will allow you to keep many options open and you'll be 1/2 way to upgrading if you decide you would like to do that at a later date.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

#7 iKarith OFFLINE  

iKarith

Moonsweeper

• 351 posts

Posted Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:53 AM

I would second Omega's assessment of the best way to get started.  (Omega!  You're green!)  It gives you most of everything.  You still need a tape recorder simulation for some things like Adventure and Tunnels of Doom, but Matt's 32k gets you well on to a permanent solution to that problem as well.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users