Photo

Looking for hard to find magazine TYPE IN GAME "Chicken Out"

31 replies to this topic

#1 seastalker ONLINE  

seastalker

Chopper Commander

• 155 posts

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:54 AM

Anyone remember the type in game "Chicken Out" (not to be confused with 'Chicken') in BASIC? I lost it from an old floppy. It's a Tron cycle like game where two players move, leaving a line trail behind them in hopes you get your opponent to crash into a trail before you do. I'd love an image if anyone has it to avoid tracking down that magazine name and issue and having to type it in again.  If I had to guess it may have been in Antic magazine.

#2 NIKON OFFLINE  

NIKON

Stargunner

• 1,845 posts

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:18 AM

Anyone remember the type in game "Chicken Out" (not to be confused with 'Chicken') in BASIC? I lost it from an old floppy. It's a Tron cycle like game where two players move, leaving a line trail behind them in hopes you get your opponent to crash into a trail before you do. I'd love an image if anyone has it to avoid tracking down that magazine name and issue and having to type it in again.  If I had to guess it may have been in Antic magazine.

you can look for it here:  https://www.atarimag...e/software.html

#3 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

Quadrunner

• 5,764 posts

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:22 AM

How sure are you of the name?

I saw a BASIC game called Get out of the way that was a Tron style game but nothing that is tron like with chicken in its name...

#4 xrbrevin OFFLINE  

xrbrevin

Chopper Commander

• 223 posts
  • Mr Ziggy loves to extend the 1050 heatsink!

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:36 AM

a page on atarimania refers to it - but sadly no download...

http://www.atarimani...-out_32474.html

#5 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• 7,094 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:49 AM

I'm not sure if this is it:

Attached File  CHICKEN.zip   4.24KB   19 downloads

#6 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

Quadrunner

• 5,764 posts

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:02 AM

Hi Stephen

Nope, that's the Stan Ockers Chicken, its a pain as its linked to d1: for the dat but a virtual dos 2.5 folder and basic AND a little basic code change and boom, there we have it..

Sadly, the it isn't the one he wants :)

Seems its a mega rare early game by a dev...

Hopefully it will turn up...

#7 seastalker ONLINE  

seastalker

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 155 posts

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:02 PM

Thank you for the replies.... sadly none of them are it yet.  I will go through some floppies that HOLMES backed up for me a LONG time ago.  If I find it, I will post and share. Otherwise, if anyone finds the magazine and issue it was in, I may have it and I can type it in [sigh]... again. :)

#8 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

Quadrunner

• 5,764 posts

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:39 AM

I worked very closely with Aaron in NZ and have all the CD's he compiled with stuff he got everywhere including from me and I've searched them all.

The only things I find hard to account for are direct duplicates that have odd names, these get mixed in with te rest and when I use Dupe Detective Finder (worth every little penny) upon 100's of dupes its not always easy to go through one by one, I normally keep the longest named one firstly as these can have the most info but because there's files which match the MD5 (all unzipped stuff) I can make a mistake and lose a shorter but more accurately named item from time to time, the good news is that I still have a copy of at least one of the files but it may be badly named :(

Hundreds of thousands of files can be a PAIN :)

SO no I can't help but the point being that if its out there then most likely one of us has it...Most likely being the best hope...Hence I beg others to keep looking and archiving their collections no matter how silly they might think they are, sure most will be stuff out there but at least all the versions get archived and the odd RARE or ULTRA RARE item pops up from time to time..

If you have disk boxes and can't archive them then let the folk on here KNOW, there's people all over the place that can do it for you...Bet sure and make the disks get archived...

#9 seastalker ONLINE  

seastalker

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 155 posts

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:05 PM

Ok, so I may have found some possible candidates on disks that HOLMES from his Atari page did for me ages ago. Trying to remember the run command for files that have a space in the name...  For example, I can do:   RUN"D:ROCK"  just fine but what is the command for a file on a multi-program .atr that is called "CHICKEN OUT 001" that would prevent an "ERROR-    170".  I think a family member used part of Chicken Out as a basis for creating multi-disks from some built in DOS function if I can remember from 30+ years ago. If I can nab the game I will upload it for all! 

P.S.  Are there any noteworthy archivists PRESENTLY that can extract and make executables from individual files, etc?  Some may be private files so I would need someone who'd honor the code of conduct for such matters. I'm happy to do it myself with proper instruction. I have PC2SIO capability and emulators and RESPEQT software, etc.

Edited by seastalker, Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:06 PM.

#10 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 4,462 posts

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:44 AM

RUN "D1:CHICKEN.OUT"

or try

ENTER "D1:CHICKEN.OUT"
RUN

https://publicrecord...n.13577244.html

I might have posted something I should not have earlier but you can track him down probably with the records search link

Edited by _The Doctor__, Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:23 AM.

#11 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

Quadrunner

• 5,764 posts

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:03 AM

Ok, so I may have found some possible candidates on disks that HOLMES from his Atari page did for me ages ago. Trying to remember the run command for files that have a space in the name...  For example, I can do:   RUN"D:ROCK"  just fine but what is the command for a file on a multi-program .atr that is called "CHICKEN OUT 001" that would prevent an "ERROR-    170".  I think a family member used part of Chicken Out as a basis for creating multi-disks from some built in DOS function if I can remember from 30+ years ago. If I can nab the game I will upload it for all! 

P.S.  Are there any noteworthy archivists PRESENTLY that can extract and make executables from individual files, etc?  Some may be private files so I would need someone who'd honor the code of conduct for such matters. I'm happy to do it myself with proper instruction. I have PC2SIO capability and emulators and RESPEQT software, etc.

What is the disk called that you found it on, I'd like to have a look at this program, as the Doc has told you how to run it...

#12 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 4,462 posts

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:50 PM

another one to look for is outhouse, ported to the Atari, but started on the CoCo..... it's a weird game nobody will remember but it was fun....

in a reversal of roles, your a space ship blasting all sorts of baddies and people who are trying to use an outhouse in the countryside...   MIchtron? Microshack? something like that...

#13 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

Quadrunner

• 5,764 posts

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:41 PM

Just trying to get all the stuff off my Holmes CD's, ack, serious metal rot...LOST LOADS...

Went and got 1,2 and 3 from Pigwa but I had 4 of them, got what I could..

Edit: found a previous slightly more successful attempt to read the data off from a few years back, I wonder just how many disks Aaron sent out to people individually, I got 4 because I was sending him stuff to archive as well...

Is there a Win util to read off the directories off collections of most / all the usual DOS variations, would make searching so much easier...

Edited by Mclaneinc, Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:55 PM.

#14 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

Quadrunner

• 5,764 posts

Posted Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:49 AM

Seastalker, please let me know what disk you found your game one please...

I'll try and go through them and see if there's other stuff on there...

#15 seastalker ONLINE  

seastalker

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 155 posts

Posted Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:34 AM

Got busy with life stuff this week but will continue on in PM with you.

@_The Doctor__   I will try the enter command as well as I like sorting things out on my own and not bothering others to do what I can.  

EDIT: I now realized the name you linked is the author of Chicken Out.  I guess I need coffee.

Edited by seastalker, Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:48 AM.

#16 seastalker ONLINE  

seastalker

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 155 posts

Posted Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:49 PM

So- what was the most common mid-1980s magazines for Atari fans that had TYPE-IN games like 'Biker Dave' and 'Chicken Out'?  Compute! or Antic maybe? If I had to narrow a guess, I'd say 'Chicken Out' was somewhere in an issue between 84-88 and more likely 85-87.  I may start digging around for this title.

#17 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 4,462 posts

Posted Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:21 PM

Some of the early magazines have basic listings for Atari that were actually Atari Microsoft Basic listings which was an official language. They just refer to it as Atari Basic listing etc... but you really need to have A M B 1 or A M B 2 to type them in and have them run.... the magazines got a great deal of complainers who didn't realize this, so the magazines put a disclaimer further modification may be necessary etc. and eventually dropped support....If they had figured it out it all would have made sense as some had atari microsoft basic for their their 800 and others had Atari's basic on cart for their 800. Neither side had a clue because they had BASIC dang it...!

https://archive.org/...&sin=TXT&page=2

and similar searches for the older non Atari specific Magazines... I think there were 4 or 5 different magazines / leaflet / letters that had listings for almost all the 6502 machines... and I sure don't see most of the type ins at the usual download sites...

Edited by _The Doctor__, Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:28 PM.

#18 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 9,276 posts

Posted Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:05 PM

So- what was the most common mid-1980s magazines for Atari fans that had TYPE-IN games like 'Biker Dave' and 'Chicken Out'?  Compute! or Antic maybe? If I had to narrow a guess, I'd say 'Chicken Out' was somewhere in an issue between 84-88 and more likely 85-87.  I may start digging around for this title.

The most prolific Atari-only magazines in the U.S. with type-in listings were ANTIC and ANALOG, and both had programs to help one enter the listings without mistakes, ANTIC's was called Typo/Typo-2 and had letters that would show up in the left column and if they didn't match what was shown in the magazine, then you entered something wrong in that line of code. Analog had a 'Checksum data' program to help with typing errors.

I don't think ANTIC or ANALOG ever had any listings that weren't Atari BASIC, if a BASIC program was submitted that wasn't Atari BASIC, it would be made a bonus program on the monthly disk.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180621_150023.jpg
  • 20180621_145902.jpg

Edited by Gunstar, Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:06 PM.

#19 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 4,462 posts

Posted Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:10 PM

https://archive.org/...up/search/atari

Credit register program.... all kinds of utilities and games may or may not be typed in. You may have to go back a few years to find some golden oldies, and they sure don't appear to be ready for download at our favorite sites...

#20 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 4,462 posts

Posted Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:38 PM

the full commercial version of Destiny: The Cruiser  appears missing as well just a prototype is listed...sad very sad...

Starfighter, written by Sparky Starks, falls somewhere between an arcade game and a simulation. Far more than a shoot-em-up game, the incredibly detailed scenario in Starfighter lends itself to a game that can be played for hours.  Sparky Starks later wrote a version of Starfighter for the Atari 400/800 using the name Destiny: The Cruiser.       SSS probably did a release of it but AI was in on this one

Edited by _The Doctor__, Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:41 PM.

#21 seastalker ONLINE  

seastalker

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 155 posts

Posted Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:27 PM

I'm leaning towards ANTIC or COMPUTE! because:

- I remember skimming through them and not other magazines featuring Atari.

- One youtube video says he got BIKER DAVE from ANTIC (and my bro and I typed that one in)  and another specified it's in Compute! NOVEMBER 1986.

- I remember WHERE we lived when typing in CHICKEN OUT which would be probably 85/86 not considering if we typed from a back issue.

There is interesting back history in the comments on: 

Question about .atr files. I'm still going through some backups. Using RespeQt software, why do some of my disks boot with the beep-beep beepety beeps and get a READY prompt? I can type LOAD or RUN and nothing happens.  On SOME of them, if I hold OPTION before power on I get a DOS menu the disk had, but option A for directory comes up empty.  How do I ensure or not that my backup atrs have data on them or not? Is there a foolproof method?

#22 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 4,462 posts

Posted Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:05 PM

because he was looking for chicken out... I took him back to that era....

#23 seastalker ONLINE  

seastalker

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 155 posts

Posted Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:32 PM

For the record, I just went through the entire "COMPUTE!" magazine 'archive.org' archives which are scan-able and searched by "chicken" and ruled out 1982-1990 for having Chicken Out as a type in game.Antic is next.

#24 seastalker ONLINE  

seastalker

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 155 posts

Posted Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:00 PM

Incidentally,  I do have the game 'Chain Reaction' from from Jan 1987 of Compute! as well as 'Marbles' from October 1987.  Magazines linked here:

https://archive.org/.../search/chicken

https://archive.org/.../search/chicken

#25 lbaeza OFFLINE  

lbaeza

Moonsweeper

• 492 posts
  • Former NRXA8-staff

Posted Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:35 PM

I recommend to browse the titles under the "Arcade - Tron" category on Atarimania, you may be looking for a game with a different name.

Looking at the games screenshots will help you with your search:

http://www.atarimani...nre_40_8_G.html

Kind regards,

Louis BQ

Edited by lbaeza, Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:36 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users