IGNORED

OT : 3D Printer owners, I need some information please

Omega-TI

For 3D printers, I've seen "TRANSLUCENT" material advertised for sale, some material even called "TRANSPARENT". I'm skeptical though, that a truly transparent object can actually be printed. Is this just a miss-translation of the two terms?

I can believe that a somewhat 'cloudy' or blurry item could be printed off, but nothing clear like glass or acrylic that we've all come to refer to as transparent.

Since we have a few people here with 3D printers, I figured this was the place to ask and to be set straight or educated. - Thanks

To my knowledge, a clear glass kind of output is not possible as yet. The printing process introduces occlusions (think imperfections in diamonds and crystals) or small surface irregularities that refract light resulting in a diffused or translucent effect. Best approach might be to 3d print a mold and brush or fill with a liquid polymer.

• Like 1

Yeah it's not clear

To my knowledge, a clear glass kind of output is not possible as yet. The printing process introduces occlusions (think imperfections in diamonds and crystals) or small surface irregularities that refract light resulting in a diffused or translucent effect. Best approach might be to 3d print a mold and brush or fill with a liquid polymer.

Thanks guys! I appreciate your answers. I thought as much, but had to ask to be certain because I don't like making assumptions with little to no facts and then finding out I've been wrong afterwards.

I purchased some semi-transparent ABS material sometime back to create LED covers for a Power Droid (Star Wars) costume for my 11yr old son (at the time). They turned out acceptable for what I needed it for, but they aren't totally clear like one might expect.

Here's a video (that jumps directly to the spot where I demonstrate what it looks like), if you want to see it: https://youtu.be/5vy401k2Atc?t=114

Perhaps if I had used a solid infill and thinner layer, used acetone smoothing, etc. it could have looked more transparent. But, it was ok for me and my son liked it.

• Like 1