Photo

OT : 3D Printer owners, I need some information please

6 replies to this topic

#1 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• 12,974 posts

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:19 AM

For 3D printers, I've seen "TRANSLUCENT" material advertised for sale, some material even called "TRANSPARENT".  I'm skeptical though, that a truly transparent object can actually be printed.  Is this just a miss-translation of the two terms?

I can believe that a somewhat 'cloudy' or blurry item could be printed off, but nothing clear like glass or acrylic that we've all come to refer to as transparent.

Since we have a few people here with 3D printers, I figured this was the place to ask and to be set straight or educated.   - Thanks

#2 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,813 posts

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:21 AM

Yeah it's not clear

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

#3 JBerel OFFLINE  

JBerel

Stargunner

• 1,149 posts

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:24 AM

To my knowledge, a clear glass kind of output is not possible as yet. The printing process introduces occlusions (think imperfections in diamonds and crystals) or small surface irregularities that refract light resulting in a diffused or translucent effect. Best approach might be to 3d print a mold and brush or fill with a liquid polymer. 

#4 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• Topic Starter
  • 12,974 posts

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:30 AM

Yeah it's not clear

To my knowledge, a clear glass kind of output is not possible as yet. The printing process introduces occlusions (think imperfections in diamonds and crystals) or small surface irregularities that refract light resulting in a diffused or translucent effect. Best approach might be to 3d print a mold and brush or fill with a liquid polymer. 

Thanks guys!  I appreciate your answers.  I thought as much, but had to ask to be certain because I don't like making assumptions with little to no facts and then finding out I've been wrong afterwards.

#5 towmater OFFLINE  

towmater

Dragonstomper

• 537 posts

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:06 AM

Yeah, it's totally possible, and has been since 1990.

https://formlabs.com...reolithography/

I wish you didn't have to buy a new tray when you switch materials.

#6 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• Topic Starter
  • 12,974 posts

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:13 AM

Wow... there is a ton of work involved, for a simple shape like a lens, that's cool, but on more complicated shapes it appears problematic at best.  But thanks for posting that article, it was VERY informative and good enough to print off for future reference.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

#7 jonecool OFFLINE  

jonecool

Chopper Commander

• 130 posts

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:04 PM

I purchased some semi-transparent ABS material sometime back to create LED covers for a Power Droid (Star Wars) costume for my 11yr old son (at the time).  They turned out acceptable for what I needed it for, but they aren't totally clear like one might expect. 

Here's a video (that jumps directly to the spot where I demonstrate what it looks like), if you want to see it: https://youtu.be/5vy401k2Atc?t=114

Perhaps if I had used a solid infill and thinner layer, used acetone smoothing, etc. it could have looked more transparent.  But, it was ok for me and my son liked it.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users