IGNORED

Do you call it "Atari 2600" or "Atari VCS"

Flojomojo

2600 or VCS?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call the popular cartridge system from Atari, 1977

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I'm guessing its because I'm "younger" (born in 84). Like I mentioned when growing up with the JR the majority of the carts and their boxes seemed to have 2600 way more prominent.

To me I look at it as it is a Video Computer System and the name is 2600. Granted it only had VCS on the original box but later on they changed that to distinguish it because the 7800 would also be a Video Computer System.

Depends which version of the console. It wasn't called "2600" until the Vader. ;)

All woodgrain Atari systems are "Video Computer System" to me. If the context is in that era of the system's life, I'll use "VCS" or just "The Atari." If we're talking about games and systems from ~1983 onward, I'll usually use "2600."

• Like 1

I'm guessing its because I'm "younger" (born in 84). Like I mentioned when growing up with the JR the majority of the carts and their boxes seemed to have 2600 way more prominent.

To me I look at it as it is a Video Computer System and the name is 2600. Granted it only had VCS on the original box but later on they changed that to distinguish it because the 7800 would also be a Video Computer System.

"Video Computer System" was actually the system's name. It wasn't some generic marketing descriptor. I mean, it was kind of that, as well, but it was still the console's actual name. :)

Not sure what you're talking about on the last thing, though. Dropping "Video Computer System" from 2600 packaging had nothing to do with the 7800 (the "ProSystem").

• Like 1

I call it Atari, in the same way that NES is just Nintendo and the Genesis is Sega. It's the most recognizable console from that company.

Calling the Atacobox an AtariVCS is equally offensive for calling itself VCS, and for calling it Atari.

Edited by toiletunes
  • Like 6

I used to call it the VCS, but over the past few decades the trend has been towards 2600, so I've similarly transitioned. Sort of like my use of the Oxford Comma and single spacing after a period. When writing something formal, I usually write out the whole original name and reference VCS, but refer to 2600 for the most part otherwise.

• Like 1

"Video Computer System" was actually the system's name. It wasn't some generic marketing descriptor. I mean, it was kind of that, as well, but it was still the console's actual name. :)

Not sure what you're talking about on the last thing, though. Dropping "Video Computer System" from 2600 packaging had nothing to do with the 7800 (the "ProSystem").

I don't know for sure. Its just the 7800 was also out when I was playing the 2600. So I was thinking giving it a more distinct name would help distinguish it. I don't know when the name changed or why. I was just speculating.

I never remember seeing anything that strictly referred to it as the VCS. So why did they change the name?

I call it Atari, in the same way that NES is just Nintendo and the Genesis is Sega. It's the most recognizable console from that company.

Calling the Atacobox an AtariVCS is equally offensive for calling itself VCS, and for calling it Atari.

Never heard anyone refer to the Genesis as the SEGA.

And while I am thinking about it people need to stop referring to the original Nintendo as Ness. It is N,E,S, just like my initials are lam not lamb. People sound so stupid when they say Ness or Snezz. It would be like saying the VCS is the Atari Vics.

The N64 is not the NeSixteeFour and the Gamecube is not NinGiC.

While I am ranting the walkers in Star Wars are A,T, A,T, not at at. They are initials. That would mean the dummies would say the AT-ST are at steh.... dumb just dumb.

Come on people!

Edit* if you pronounce it Ness or the SNES Snezz you sound dumb. I am sure you are a nice person but don't worry there is hope, and you can change. Just remember they are initials.

• Like 1

Before the 5200 & 7800 arrived, the system was always just "Atari". Eventually, I would call it the "Atari 2600". I don't think I ever referred to it as the VCS.

Same here. As an old fart who got a heavy sixer as a kid, all we ever called the system was "Atari" until the 5200 and 7800 came out. I can't remember anyone ever calling it the VCS or Video Computer System in conversation.

• Like 5

I used to call it the VCS, but over the past few decades the trend has been towards 2600, so I've similarly transitioned. Sort of like my use of the Oxford Comma and single spacing after a period. When writing something formal, I usually write out the whole original name and reference VCS, but refer to 2600 for the most part otherwise.

That's a good way of putting it, you have persuaded me to change my ways. I can adapt and try to fit into society. I will vote "2600" in my little poll now.

Never heard anyone refer to the Genesis as the SEGA.

That might be a function of your age group as well. I know people who used "Sega" generically, as any video game machine, to the point where they looked forward to "the new Sega" which was Nintendo 64.

I know, right?

• Like 3

That might be a function of your age group as well. I know people who used "Sega" generically, as any video game machine, to the point where they looked forward to "the new Sega" which was Nintendo 64.

I know, right?

That is just people not knowing the branding. Like in Clerks cartoon referring to any Adhesive Strip as a Band-Aid, when all Band-Aid is a brand who sells Adhesive strips. Reminds me of my ex girlfriend who referred to any soda as Coke. She wants a Dr. Pepper, 7Up, Root Beer, or whatever, "Could you hand me the Coke." Coke is a brand of soda or something you snort to get high....a 7Up is neither of those.

I don't think I've called the 2600 the "VCS" ever once.

And I agree with Mr Beefy re the NES, altho' I think the "Ness" thing might be a European thing that somehow got entrenched over here when YouTube became a thing.

Well then there's a reason I'm glad my country fought the redcoats. They don't know how to read initials properly....
  • Like 1

I call it "Atari". Even the Sears Video Arcade is "Atari".

"Come on over and play Atari!"

"Did you get an Atari?"

"I have 25 games for my Atari."

And the SNES is the "Super Nintendo". ;-)

Edited by xucaen