Photo

The history of HARD

6 replies to this topic

#1 Heaven/TQA ONLINE  

Heaven/TQA

Quadrunner

• 10,886 posts

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:22 PM

I totally missed Sandors link to the history of HARD.

Very interesting read:

https://demozoo.org/groups/33628/

#2 Heaven/TQA ONLINE  

Heaven/TQA

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,886 posts

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:32 PM

Sandor kept pressing on the reset button during some sensitive parts of the Joyride development that resulted in loss of work multiple times, therefore Farkas sellotaped a flat piece of lego over the button so that Sandor couldn't accidentally press it by instinct - that worked!

#3 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• 7,133 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:49 PM

Thanks for the link.  I'll have to give this a read after work tonight.

#4 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 9,315 posts

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:35 PM

A very interesting read. Enlightening. I always assumed all the European coders/demo teams from the late 80's and 90's came from countries where the Atari 8-bit was popular, with a decade of software and books and magazines and demos available. And it seems like the HARD guys were the only Atari coders in all of Hungary and had to learn it all from trial and error is very impressive. They say necessity breeds invention and Hard are proof-of-concept with all they did to improve POKEY music and stuff like HIP software graphic mode that got the ball rolling on all the software graphic modes, and tools to use them, we have now. 

Edited by Gunstar, Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:38 PM.

#5 Stormtrooper of Death OFFLINE  

Stormtrooper of Death

Moonsweeper

• 420 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:34 PM

Great story.

#6 lotek_style OFFLINE  

lotek_style

Moonsweeper

• 265 posts

Posted Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:33 AM

All groups/coders can send in their stories to me and will post them on demozoo :)

#7 Mclaneinc ONLINE  

Mclaneinc

Quadrunner

• 5,879 posts

Posted Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:03 AM

Scene stories are always great to hear as are 99% of dev stories of games etc...There's a great wealth of knowledge that may or may not be on your level but the understanding of how these things happen and the inter stories about how individuals work is really interesting and probably as much to other devs. You don't have to be a dev or super brainy to appreciate the stories but they will give a nice introduction into the world of computer software creation that is fun, well that is unless its a blog where its like this:

Dev: Today I had some egg on toast and wrote LDA #$00

Dev: Ah, wasted on beer after that, this morning I had a huge brainwave and wrote STA $6000.

Yeah, those blogs are not so fun :) (and based on a certain game programmer :)  from the day on one of my fave computers...

The HARD story is great and others with others like that it would be wonderful for them to be hosted on Demozoo as a hub to read all these crazy things :)

Good luck with that Lotek_S, appreciated...

Edited by Mclaneinc, Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:06 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users