Photo

Nintendo and Hamster release Arcade Archives Donkey Kong for Switch

36 replies to this topic

#26 Mockduck OFFLINE  

Mockduck

Chopper Commander

• 223 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:37 AM

OMG, a day I thought would never come has happened. Where are the flying pigs!?!?!?

#27 Flojomojo ONLINE  

Flojomojo

ANGRY TACO

• 12,602 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:23 AM

OMG, a day I thought would never come has happened. Where are the flying pigs!?!?!?

https://www.mariowiki.com/Hogwash

400px-Hogwash_the_flying_pig.png

#28 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 17,007 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:44 AM

There's some debate about Crazy Kong. I've seen some claims that it was an officially licensed clone. According to this, the arrangement only lasted a few months:

https://scholar.goog...l=en&as_sdt=2,5

Is there a synopsis of the lawsuit in plain English? I don't speak legalese, nor do I feel like taking the time to skim through all the excess verbiage. Suffice to say there was probably just cause for Nintendo to sue.

#29 davidbrit2 OFFLINE  

davidbrit2

Dragonstomper

• 510 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:50 AM

Is there a synopsis of the lawsuit in plain English? I don't speak legalese, nor do I feel like taking the time to skim through all the excess verbiage. Suffice to say there was probably just cause for Nintendo to sue.

If you Ctrl-F and search for "Crazy Kong", you'll see the relevant paragraph. I haven't read the entirety of that document, so I can't say I'm an expert on the subject.

#30 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

River Patroller

• 4,286 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:35 PM

I thing the legal issue is just internet myth bs taken as fact. Back around 1990 whatever issue existed was settled in a locked up settlement deal between both parties. I bet it just was typical Nintendo behavior just like their long reluctance to rerelease old games people wanted for years like the gba nes carts or the recent classic edition systems. Nintendo just drags stuff out and explains nothing

#31 NE146 OFFLINE  

NE146

Dumbass Atari Fan

• 15,352 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:58 PM

Man.. Crazy Kong aint nothing but a bootleg from-scratch remake. Right up there with friggin Zig Zag :lol:

Edited by NE146, Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:59 PM.

#32 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 17,007 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:05 PM

Man.. Crazy Kong aint nothing but a bootleg from-scratch remake. Right up there with friggin Zig Zag :lol:

Bingo. I guess People couldn't get enough Donkey Kong so some no-name company booted it. Tons of bootleg Pacman cabs existed too.

Just like every multi-arcade cab in existence that has Donkey Kong on it is also a bootleg.

#33 travistouchdown OFFLINE  

travistouchdown

River Patroller

• 4,123 posts
  • Do the math!

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:15 PM

NE146 what is that stand you are using for your Switch?

#34 NE146 OFFLINE  

NE146

Dumbass Atari Fan

• 15,352 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:20 PM

NE146 what is that stand you are using for your Switch?

It's just a silicon stand we got off Amazon and keep a few around the house. Flexible, dishwasher safe, and works well enough for tablets and whatever :P

https://www.amazon.c...29093946&sr=1-1

#35 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

River Patroller

• 4,286 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:45 PM

I've played on (if you can call it that) legit Crazy Kong machine before which was pretty amusing, a former friend who had a shop long ago had one in there off display.  Donkey Kong really was something special so a boot was no surprise.  It was like the IT game back in that year along with Pac-Man and a few others. DK was very popular and sold through a lot of hardware in that year.

That's not a bad stand for the Switch, reminds me I have this screwball fold up kind of a tripod type tablet stand I've had about a year I have stored away I could find no use for, that would work great for the Switch and if I had a USB-C device it's open in the bottom so that would slot in there too without obstruction.

#36 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 17,007 posts

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:44 PM

I played more Donkey Kong last night. Got a new high score of 47500 playing on the "later" version (Japanese stage order). 85th overall on the leaderboards, so either I'm really good or a lot of people haven't played it yet. Probably the latter. And I realized for the first time how bad the Switch Pro Dpad is. Mario would not cooperate so I synced my 8bitdo SF30 Pro SNES controller (NA purple color scheme) and it worked beautifully.

#37 NE146 OFFLINE  

NE146

Dumbass Atari Fan

• 15,352 posts

Posted Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:28 PM

I played more Donkey Kong last night. Got a new high score of 47500 playing on the "later" version (Japanese stage order). 85th overall on the leaderboards, so either I'm really good or a lot of people haven't played it yet. Probably the latter. And I realized for the first time how bad the Switch Pro Dpad is. Mario would not cooperate so I synced my 8bitdo SF30 Pro SNES controller (NA purple color scheme) and it worked beautifully.

Glad you mentioned that.. I never even thought to check that out. Turns out last night I accepted "yes" to it uploading my score (99,000) and it turns out I was #10 for the game.  King of Kongs we aren't :lol: 

I guess it has different scoreboards for each version eh..cool.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users