IGNORED

Question regarding joystick compatibility with Atari computers

Wyluli Wolf

Simple question for all you guru's out there. If I build a joystick according to the attached schematics (Atari 7800 controller), what computer systems would it be compatible/safe to use with?

It seems it would work with Atari 8-bit computers (400, 800, 1200, XL, XE) and the Atari ST line.

Commodore 64

Would it be safe to use on an Atari XE game system?

I just want confirmation that it's not going to cause any damage to the systems.

Thanks.

post-38599-0-93602900-1528999052_thumb.jpg

I made a cable to reroute the pin outs from a Bally Astrocade joystick (except for the analog pot on the joystick, since the Ataris only use switches). I've got a pair of them working with Atari 400 and 130XE. I'm not sure about the 520ST I have, as I forgot I could use joysticks on it as well.

>except analog pot

The Atari uses the analog pots as well (paddles)

The issue is the Bally Astrocade controller only has a single pot. It's a handle with a trigger, and joystick that extends a bit above the top of the handle with a knob on top. So 5 switches (no "right" side button equivalent), and 1 pot. It was used for a games like gunfight (or a football game). Joystick used to move characters, the pot to aim the characters arm. The nice part is the full throw on the joystick is about 1/2 inch, and not much centering spring force for a light touch.

Edited by rcgldr

You can still make the pot usable but mainly for your own purposes as there's (almost?) no software that supports it.

Even if the value of the pot is way off compared to the one in a paddle it still does something. If it's worth the effort to do the mod is a second.

I don't know how the fire buttons would work on an Atari 8-bit or C64, as pins 5 and 9 are connected to pots. Here you wire those to the fire button with a resistor inbetween, which I suppose is a 7800 design?

If you stick to pins 1-4 for the directions, 6 for a single fire button and 8 for ground, it should work with just about all systems taking an Atari style joystick, including MSX which has a slightly different design and perhaps even Genesis which has yet another different design. The majority of the older systems only support 1 button anyway.

I don't know how the fire buttons would work on an Atari 8-bit or C64, as pins 5 and 9 are connected to pots. Here you wire those to the fire button with a resistor inbetween, which I suppose is a 7800 design?

If you stick to pins 1-4 for the directions, 6 for a single fire button and 8 for ground, it should work with just about all systems taking an Atari style joystick, including MSX which has a slightly different design and perhaps even Genesis which has yet another different design. The majority of the older systems only support 1 button anyway.

Correct, the resistors allow it to work with both the 7800 and the 2600. I guess I could build a single button controller for the 8 bit systems but it would be nice if I could just use the ones I already have. I just wasn't sure if those extra wires/resistors would cause an issue that could possibly damage an 8-bit machine.