Photo

Best Way to Increase Ram?

20 replies to this topic

#1 koolmoecraig OFFLINE  

koolmoecraig

Star Raider

• 86 posts

Posted Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:43 PM

Seems there are a ton of options but some aren't available anymore.

What's the current best way to bump up the RAM in my 800XL which is only rocking 64kb right now?

#2 Rybags OFFLINE  

Rybags

Quadrunner

• 15,712 posts

Posted Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:17 PM

Easiest by far are the likes of 320XL and it's variants.  Plug into the PBI port and ready straight up.  Though I think with 800XL you might need to supply power to a PBI pin which is normally NC.  Other advantage is it falls low/middle in the expense range.  Disadvantage is it's probably not available.

Best IMO is Ultimate 1 Meg.  Install requires some soldering.  Advantage is it covers most of the Ram expansion schemes for XL up to 1088K, has internal SpartaDosX, multiOS and a modifyable resident cartridge Rom, plus can interface/enhance stereo and VBXE upgrades as well.  Disadantage is the installation complexity though medium on the overall scale, and price which is a bit high but should be expected for the large feature set.

Others are the likes of modern day incarnations of Rambo and Compyshop 320K internal by various sellers.  Advantage is low-medium price, disadvantage is they can be medium to high on the install difficulty scale.

#3 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 9,280 posts

Posted Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:19 PM

I'd suggest the new Sys-Check 2.2 boards for sale right now, they include 512K memory, alternate external OS's and diagnostics like SALT cartridges only better. Can't beat all you get for the price and if you have an XL/XE with a PBI/ECI then there is no installation, just plug in like a cartridge.

http://atariage.com/...ck#entry4028529

Edited by Gunstar, Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:27 PM.

#4 JR> OFFLINE  

JR>

Moonsweeper

• 274 posts

Posted Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:23 PM

Sys-Check v2.2 is plug and play like 320xl.  Antonia 4MB is also a good one. Installation is completely solderless.

#5 SS ONLINE  

SS

Quadrunner

• 6,005 posts

Posted Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:31 PM

I have a SYS-CHECK card plugged full time into the PBI port of my 800XL.  It is a fantastic device that not only will run a system diagnostic for of the internal RAM/ROM of your XL to help you troubleshoot faults in your system but it also can act as a 512K external memory expansion, bringing your XL up to a full 576K.  I love the fact that this is a completely external solution so that I did not have to open up my system at all in order to use it.

http://atariage.com/...able/?p=3487750

I am also looking into picking up a second XL system soon so that I can upgrade it with a Lotharek Ultimate 1MB board.  I want a second system to try my hand at messing around with because I don't completely trust my very amateur soldering skills and don't want to put my original and beloved 800XL at any risk.  :P

https://lotharek.pl/...etail.php?id=56

#6 Faicuai OFFLINE  

Faicuai

Dragonstomper

• 803 posts

Posted Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:35 PM

The short-and-sweet would definitely be SysCheck vII or better... no brainer, plus you get a very effective and smart HW diagnostics on it, plus other bonus items.

Beyond that step, Ultimate 1 MB or Incgnito, because they are holistic on their approach and have EXCELLENT low-level support(BIOS), which allow them to integrate and handle (VERY well) fixed-storage drives (SIDE I/II), HD partition management, SIO acceleration, realtime clock, Sparta DOS-X, VBXE, Stereo sound, CPU acceleration, advanced PBI bios, direct browsing and loading from CF-card on Side, and on, and on... all with a relatively small and easy to install board inside of the Atari, leaving your Cart and PBI port free for other things...

Definitely and hardly a better time to upgrade!

#7 Nezgar OFFLINE  

Nezgar

Dragonstomper

• 904 posts

Posted Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:44 PM

Also currently available from the creator of syscheck II is a permanent internal 512KB upgrade (576K total) plugs into ANTIC socket, with only 3 wire solderpoints: http://atariage.com/...e-made-by-tfhh/ get a stereo upgrade and a 1050 mini-speedy at the same time :)

And Antonia 4MB is available too, physically replaces 6502 with a same speed 65C816 with numerous flashable OS and BASIC slots. It replaces the base 64K too allowing you to actually completelty remove the base RAM and ROM chips. http://atariage.com/...-ram-expansion/

Edited by Nezgar, Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:45 PM.

#8 Heaven/TQA OFFLINE  

Heaven/TQA

Quadrunner

• 10,818 posts

Posted Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:49 PM

Best for me dumb hardware guy was the 320xe cart... so I loved the fact its simply plug n play into port. No soldering.

Same with turbo freezer solutions.

So if the modern way is sys check 2 cart.... go that route... I prefer any plug n play solution prior soldering...

#9 Level42 OFFLINE  

Level42

River Patroller

• 2,225 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:35 AM

So people seriously have a SYScheck plugged in constantly .....mmm....not my cup of tea to see bare boards dangling out of my system all the time, but tastes differ :)

I prefer my machines to look as original as possible on the outside....so...

I'd go with an internal U1MB. Not only does it offer a lot of RAM, but the other features are great too. Having 4 soft swtichable OSes is brilliant f.i.

Soldering is just a few wires...

It will also allow you to control Stereo Pokey without an external switch f.i.

Edited by Level42, Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:52 AM.

#10 SS ONLINE  

SS

Quadrunner

• 6,005 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:53 AM

So people seriously have a SYScheck plugged in constantly .....mmm....not my cup of tea to see bare boards dangling out of my system all the time, but tastes differ :)

I do wish that I had been paying more attention when the RAM 320XL was available. I like the sleek, attractive case on that one. The bare SYS-CHECK board isn't nearly as nice looking of a solution but I went for it because of the super simple plug-and-play.

Hopefully I'll get a second XL soon so that I can play around with adding an Ultimate 1MB for a completely interior upgrade.

#11 slx OFFLINE  

slx

Stargunner

• 1,461 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:34 AM

Maybe someone can come up with a 3D printed enclosure for SysCheck?

I can vouch for the ease of installation of Antonia, have it in a 600XL. It uses a 65C816, however, so a few games using illegal opcodes might cough. The setup of the various ROMS is not as easy as on Ultimate1MB as you need to run a separate program to switch between them and note/memorize what is stored in each slot, it's not automatically called/shown on boot. 

#12 SS ONLINE  

SS

Quadrunner

• 6,005 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:41 AM

Maybe someone can come up with a 3D printed enclosure for SysCheck?

I'd get one if it were available. Right now I have mine enclosed in a bit of anti-static wrap just so dust and dog hair don't collect on it. It doesn't look too pretty but the amount of hair that this dog generates can be a little overwhelming so I've got to do *something*!

#13 Level42 OFFLINE  

Level42

River Patroller

• 2,225 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:20 AM

Yo SS..... did you ever really think about that avatar name ? It's not really popular over here in Europe....

#14 SS ONLINE  

SS

Quadrunner

• 6,005 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:48 AM

SS is my initials - Shawn Smith. A girlfriend started using SS as my nickname in my late teens and it stuck. All of my oldest friends call me SS. I am passionately anti-facist, so rest assured that the name has no connection to that sort of idea at all.

#15 mellis OFFLINE  

mellis

Moonsweeper

• 267 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:11 AM

Yo SS..... did you ever really think about that avatar name ? It's not really popular over here in Europe....

It also stands for "Super Sport" on a variety of performance Chevrolets, and it is the name of one specific mode: https://www.caranddr...om/chevrolet/ss.

@SS, there's nothing wrong with your username. 

#16 256 colors OFFLINE  

256 colors

Star Raider

• 64 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:16 AM

SS is my initials - Shawn Smith. A girlfriend started using SS as my nickname in my late teens and it stuck. All of my oldest friends call me SS. I am passionately anti-facist, so rest assured that the name has no connection to that sort of idea at all.

So we wouldn't catch you playing Eastern Front 1942?

#17 VladR OFFLINE  

VladR

Stargunner

• 1,417 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:42 AM

Best for me dumb hardware guy was the 320xe cart... so I loved the fact its simply plug n play into port. No soldering.

Wait, what ? There was a cart-based RAM expansion ? Damn, I wish I knew that before!!!

#18 Nezgar OFFLINE  

Nezgar

Dragonstomper

• 904 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:49 AM

Wait, what ? There was a cart-based RAM expansion ? Damn, I wish I knew that before!!!

Not a cart that goes in the Cart port, but a PBI expansion that plugs into the back of XL or XE.

#19 Heaven/TQA OFFLINE  

Heaven/TQA

Quadrunner

• 10,818 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:45 AM

https://goo.gl/images/g82hTH

#20 VladR OFFLINE  

VladR

Stargunner

• 1,417 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:41 PM

Cool, thanks ! I now have U1MB, but was always under [wrong] impression that soldering is required (well, that's the expansion I researched previously). Had I known there's such an easy upgrade way, I'd have bought A800 a decade ago, not last October...

#21 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 9,280 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:41 PM

I'd get one if it were available. Right now I have mine enclosed in a bit of anti-static wrap just so dust and dog hair don't collect on it. It doesn't look too pretty but the amount of hair that this dog generates can be a little overwhelming so I've got to do *something*!

I have the earlier Sys-check that sticks up vertically, but I've been intending to change out the PBI connector to a right-angle one so it can lay horizontal like the newer version I wish I'd waited for (but didn't know was coming). But I have it so I'm modding myself, and I intend to use a modified 1030 modem case for it (down-sized a bit).

Edited by Gunstar, Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:42 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users