IGNORED

Mac/65 - Disk Version

MrFish

Does anyone have an original OSS, ICD, or FTe copy of any Mac/65 disk version that they can image to file,

or that they'd be willing to mail to someone who could image the disk to file for them? Apparently one hasn't

been made yet (or hasn't been verified to be so).

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

Thanks, but as you can see in this thread those aren't the goods.

The emphasis here is on an "original" copy, of the disk's full contents (possibly double-sided). We may have it all in the various copies combined,

but without an original copy for comparison, there's no way of knowing for sure.

Edited by MrFish

No problem. I have one such copy on my site already: Mac/65 - Disk.

Most likely the disk that was sold just had those contents minus DOS 2.5 and add OS/A+ or DOS XL (for the later distributions)

But it'd be good to have the original for historical preservation and to answer some questions. Most of it's pretty obvious, but

an original image will settle things.

The copy I have I'm fairly sure was on an OS/A+ floppy. As luck would have it, I've not got an imported ATR handy or the means to quickly check the disk.
Pretty sure the contents were fairly minimal. I do have a file copy though of MAC65 itself from the disk, it IDs as:

OSS MAC/65   MACRO ASSEMBLER 2.00
(c) 1982 Stephen D. Lawrow

I can't remember if the disk also came with DDT - I can remember only assembling to disk with it and just debugging by the run and see method.

As to the origin of mine - probably a multi generational copy so not necessarily reflecting what came on the original.

Running it under Dos 2.5 - I remember it being problematic in that it doesn't rerun when you press Reset, and has no means to return from DOS.

I wrote a quick program called "RUNMAC" which just jumps to the proper vector.

But just tried it out, a bit of test source code I type in gets corrupted.

Does anyone have an original OSS, ICD, or FTe copy of any Mac/65 disk version that they can image to file,

or that they'd be willing to mail to someone who could image the disk to file for them? Apparently one hasn't

been made yet (or hasn't been verified to be so).

Hmm, I think we have at Farb's preservation torrent, don't we?

• Like 1

Running it under Dos 2.5 - I remember it being problematic in that it doesn't rerun when you press Reset, and has no means to return from DOS.

I wrote a quick program called "RUNMAC" which just jumps to the proper vector.

But just tried it out, a bit of test source code I type in gets corrupted.

Interesting, but not surprising -- their catering to their own DOS.

All the more reason to fix up the version on my site until a genuine copy shows up (it has DOS 2.5 on it). I'll probably just reconstruct

a likely candidate...

Edited by MrFish

I only ever used the cart version. So, I'm not familiar with any particulars of the disk version at all.

Here's the contents of the disks on my site. I'm gonna go through the documentation, see what's in there.

I might even consolidate it all and make a PDF doc for the disk version, in lieu of the original paper copy.

Those WTR files are documentation too.

post-6369-0-80981800-1529126292.png

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

The copy I have is from FTE (non-original) and includes a small blurb, that this is a shareware diskversion of Mac65 (version 4.20) to be exclusively used with PC Xformer and one should support shareware authors. It originally contained SpartaDOS 3.2 (most likely 3.2f) and a Startup.BAT that loaded the Readme.TXT; however, I replaced SpartaDOS with TurboDOS XL/XE, so the Startup.Bat is not executed anymore (use TYP *.TXT to read the text with Turbo-DOS)...

The Mac65 file on the disk is 121 sectors in length, contains several data-segments, but no RUN adress (which is no problem for SpartaDOS, since it will use the first data-segment $8000-xxxx as a run adress, however most DOS 2.x versions including Turbo-DOS XL/XE will not run the file)...

As far as I can see, it is already in the Atariwiki and you also linked to it, so no need to upload it again.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

No rush; I now have an original copy of v4.20 with DOS XL -- which will soon go up on my website. But, it will be nice to

have your version too, as it looks like (by the size of the file) it's version 2.0, and you've got it with OS/A+ there too. Do

you, by any chance, still have a copy of the printed manual that came with it?

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

Alright, great. Now all we need is a copy of the printed manual.

Thanks for helping out.

Back in the day we would tear the manual apart to put in binders . It's 96 pages, I will take to a friend to scan in a few weeks if still needed, however if atarigeezer also had original disk he must have the manual also ?

Edited by bandit
  • Like 2

Back in the day we would tear the manual apart to put in binders . It's 96 pages, I will take to a friend to scan in a few weeks if still needed, however if atarigeezer also had original disk he must have the manual also ?

Good to hear you've got a copy. I guess we'll see what Geezer replies about having a copy or not.