Photo

Your favorite Pong console design?

10 replies to this topic

#1 FOX2600 OFFLINE  

FOX2600

Chopper Commander

• 219 posts

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:28 AM

A few years ago after stumbling upon David Winters PONG STORY website (highly recommended!) and browsing thru his rarity guide Ive discovered sooo many Pong units I never knew existed. Even though its generally the same game, what makes Home Pong consoles so fun to me is the endless variety of looks and astetics they had!

Some of my personal favorites are the Wonder Wizard (which has an interesting history) for that lovely wood grain, the Ricochet, and the Unisonic tournament 1000.

What are some of your favorites?

#2 rennervision OFFLINE  

rennervision

Space Invader

• 12 posts

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:02 AM

I'm going to have to go with the 2018 model...

Edited by rennervision, Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:02 AM.

#3 Hwlngmad OFFLINE  

Hwlngmad

Moonsweeper

• 437 posts

Posted Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:08 PM

I'll go with (in no particular order) the Magnavox Odyssey, APF TV Fun - Model 401, Radio Shack Electronic TV Scoreboard (6 game version), and original Tele-Games Pong.

#4 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Glorified Toaster

• 6,954 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:25 PM

I'm most partial to the Odyssey 100-2000 systems and the Atari Super Pong Pro-Am units.

The original pedestal Pong is classic, as well (mine's a Sears), although the Sears Super Pongs with the woodgrain grilles are a little fugly IMO.

The APF TV Fun is a nice, deluxe-looking system, with its brushed aluminum and chrome appointments.

I'm not normally a fan of the Coleco Telstar systems because they're about as cheap and janky as a videogame can possibly be, but a Telstar Classic in good condition is something to behold. Sooo much '70s in one wooden box right there. :-D

The original Odyssey is a trip and looks like something out of 2001.

I own quite a few Pong systems, and picking one out to play is like picking out clothes for a night out. What looks good to me today? :-D

#5 fdr4prez OFFLINE  

fdr4prez

Stargunner

• 1,872 posts

Posted Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:08 PM

I've been wanting to get a few Pong consoles, but I've got higher things on my list at the moment.

Does this one count?

:grin:

nationalvideogame.jpg

#6 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 18,383 posts

Posted Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:14 AM

I'm going to have to go with the 2018 model...

https://youtu.be/HCLdnSABfto

This gets my vote. If you're going to invest in a Pong unit, get the best one there is! :grin:

Aside, what's the best version of Pong? Video Olympics / Pong Sports for the VCS gets my vote. Some variation modes have so many sets of paddles onscreen it's like playing virtual fooseball. :grin:

#7 Magmavision2000 OFFLINE  

Magmavision2000

Space Invader

• 21 posts

Posted Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:23 PM

I really like the design of my Coleco Telstar 6040 it's simple and "classy"

#8 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Glorified Toaster

• 6,954 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:16 PM

Aside, what's the best version of Pong? Video Olympics / Pong Sports for the VCS gets my vote. Some variation modes have so many sets of paddles onscreen it's like playing virtual fooseball. :grin:

Hard to dispute that. :) 

FYI, those "foosball" variations are literally called Foozpong--so yeah, foosball is in fact what they were going for. :-D I actually got a 4-player game of that going at Midwest Gaming Classic on my Sears Heavy Sixer.  :lol: 

#9 GoldLeader OFFLINE  

GoldLeader

River Patroller

• 2,435 posts

Posted Sun Jul 1, 2018 3:16 PM

I have this one in a closet at my Dad's house (Boxed from when I was about 11 or so)....I grew up with it, so for nostalgia's sake it's my favorite.

Z0023907.jpg

#10 80s_Atari_Guy OFFLINE  

80s_Atari_Guy

Chopper Commander

• 228 posts

Posted Sun Jul 1, 2018 5:52 PM

My favourite was the "Grandstand TV 6000 Colour", the premium of UK pong machines, lol.

It even had joysticks, not paddles.

The Rolls Royce of Pong Machines.

#11 Zonie OFFLINE  

Zonie

River Patroller

• 2,136 posts

Posted Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Sears Super Pong IV. I have a boxed one

.IMG_0120.JPG

Edited by Zonie, Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:26 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users