IGNORED

Good fantasy role-playing games for Atari 800XL

Keneg

So we have a separate thread for creating a new engine for these things

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/280196-creating-a-new-advance-dungeons-and-dragons-type-role-playing-game/

Since Secretum Labyrinth Dark Castles development is well into progress and has more RPG + AD&D like features. What other features would help make it a Good fantasy role-playing game?

Good puzzles. The tricky part is mak8ng them solvable, but not too easy. Things like needing to get a set of switches set right or answering a riddle.

I did some similar puzzles already inside Secretum Labyrinth King's Gold and Secretum Labyrinth The Legend. I am upping it for Dark Castles. There is a room with the squares you can push in a row, and need to push them down one by one in the correct sequence that act like a set of switches. I cannot state the sequence here. However a few players go confused believing you needed to push the amount of squares in sequence, then snap back. Maybe have to describe such stuff better in scrolls.

Riddles is something I am also working on for the new game.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking into ways of making these Fantasy Role Playing Games "REPLAYABLE" where as it can include different quests with items re-arranged along and experimenting with the ability to rearrange where "Walls" and impassible barriers are on the different screens so you need to go a different path to get to stuff. Some in game puzzles can have an altered solution, location, and reward also. A major complaint I had been hearing over the years about NES, SNES, and Sega Genesis titles is once you solve and beaten the game, there is no point to go back and play them again. What can we do about that?

"Secretum Labyrinth Dark Castles" has been submitted for beta testing and the people testing it will be keeping the solutions a secret so everyone can enjoy the challenge of solving the mystery when they play the game. It has 4 different quests and a random quest option. The randomize routine randomizes the locations of items inside the game, sorta like 2600 Adventure did it with SELECT "3" on the screen and pressing start.

"Secretum Labyrinth Dark Castles" was pretty far into development before I seen this thread and I search and posted on AtariAge for discussions about Adventure and RPG games. I was not looking to do turn based, but want to keep it action oriented like Zelda games, and these popular modern PC DOS+Windows RPGS & MMORPGs. Of course I cannot do it as good as a 3D accelerator card, but kept with the top-down screen by screen view like 2600 Adventure and NES Legend of Zelda with many of my own original elements thrown into it.

I would like to develop something more Advance Dungeons & Dragons (AD&D) related in the future. However, people need to show interest and I would need some help. Many of those titles are developed by a team of people and it will take over a year for me to do all the work myself and sell a limited number of copies.

Edited by peteym5

I am looking into ways of making these Fantasy Role Playing Games "REPLAYABLE" where as it can include different quests with items re-arranged along and experimenting with the ability to rearrange where "Walls" and impassible barriers are on the different screens so you need to go a different path to get to stuff. Some in game puzzles can have an altered solution, location, and reward also. A major complaint I had been hearing over the years about NES, SNES, and Sega Genesis titles is once you solve and beaten the game, there is no point to go back and play them again. What can we do about that?

"Secretum Labyrinth Dark Castles" has been submitted for beta testing and the people testing it will be keeping the solutions a secret so everyone can enjoy the challenge of solving the mystery when they play the game. It has 4 different quests and a random quest option. The randomize routine randomizes the locations of items inside the game, sorta like 2600 Adventure did it with SELECT "3" on the screen and pressing start.

"Secretum Labyrinth Dark Castles" was pretty far into development before I seen this thread and I search and posted on AtariAge for discussions about Adventure and RPG games. I was not looking to do turn based, but want to keep it action oriented like Zelda games, and these popular modern PC DOS+Windows RPGS & MMORPGs. Of course I cannot do it as good as a 3D accelerator card, but kept with the top-down screen by screen view like 2600 Adventure and NES Legend of Zelda with many of my own original elements thrown into it.

I would like to develop something more Advance Dungeons & Dragons (AD&D) related in the future. However, people need to show interest and I would need some help. Many of those titles are developed by a team of people and it will take over a year for me to do all the work myself and sell a limited number of copies.

Short answer (and I know we've discussed this before) is to make a roguelike game. Procedural generation, if done right, adds incredible replayability. I've probably put 1000+ hours into dungeon crawl stone soup or the binding of issac, over the years.

Depending on what you are wanting to do, I might be able to assist. Roguelikes are my favorite genre, would be fund to make one on the Atari. You could easily do something along the lines of any of the Intellivision AD&D games on the Atari, and do them much better. And all of those are still quite fun due to the random level generation.

I thought about random level / maze / dungeon generation. However, one thing that will be tough to have is adding keys and locked doors because you need logic to make sure it does not place a key beyond a locked door, or else the game becomes unsolvable because there will not be a way to unlock the door. Something that will be need to be worked out with random generation. Maybe randomly place keys from a table of possible positions that are always before a door. We can always make it without locked doors.

You might also be able to do the generation in two steps. Generate half of the dungeon with the key location and let that fix in place doors or corridors to th3 second half that has the locked door with the treasure or whatever behind it.

• 2 years later...