IGNORED

"Private" PM based TI swap meet week?

Omega-TI

Would anyone here be interested in a private TI swap meet week?

I'm thinking just for active/trusted members of our little community, carried out in the "Private Message" area. Those active members wanting to participate could message the person (still unknown) hosting, to be included in the participants list, so by the dates of the 'swap meet' they could come in and list things at fair prices or to request certain items.

This would give some of us the chance to clean house, while being assured the more valuable and rare items (if any) go to a good homes, while not risking them landing in the hands of unscrupulous profiteers

Good/Bad idea?

I'm in. I have some stuff I'd like to move and some stuff I'd like to get.

I'd be happy to facilitate if there are no other takers. Just need names of folks wanting to take part so I can add them to the list for the large group PM.

Again, if someone else wants to facilitate, I'd happily yield. :)

• Like 1

Alright... anyone wanting to participate, shoot me a PM before July 1st. The group message will go out on Saturday, June 31st. If you're interested in moving some of your items, try to have pictures ready by that time so other participants can see your wares and be prepared to offer deals based on the condition of your items.

As far as rules, there really won't be much... If you've ever participated in a swap meet before, you know that sometimes if you wait to hear multiple offers, you'll get a better swap or price.

We'll run it until the following Sunday (the 8th) at which point we'll shut it down.

Please try to conduct business within the group Swap message... the goal is to have a "community" swap meet. Obviously addresses and such should be shared privately, but if deals are being conducted outside the group, it takes away from the goal.

That's about it. If anyone has additional guidelines they'd like to suggest, please throw em out there.

Hopefully this will be fun. :)

• Like 1

Ok, maybe I'm a bit dense tonight, but if anyone from the AA community can join this 'swap meet' then why not just post everything here publicly? A private thread doesn't prohibit someone from obtaining goods for future sale.

Dunno about others, but I have an item that I'm not looking to make any profit on, my main concern is finding it a good home with a real TI hobbyist or collector that can appreciate it for it's place in contemporary TI evolution. In a private sale I believe I can avoid it ending up in the hands of someone that would just re-sell it to any Tim, Dick or Harry.

I'd be interested in participating, but probably only as a buyer. If I see someone looking for something specific I might be able to help out, but my schedule won't allow me time to get stuff tested, photographed, and priced before the deadline.

Suggestion: all participants should list their home country/state/city to head off any shipping surprises.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think this is really mostly about doing some hobby business with friends and colleagues... I've had one or two PMs from folks I wasn't 100% sure about... a brief chat, "Hey, what's your interest", etc... If someone wants to join who has no history with the group or hasn't expressed any interest in the TI prior to this swap meet, I may not invite them to the group. So far, there have been a couple folks who aren't regulars here, but seem to be the right kind of people.

There are a few really heavy scalper/re-seller types on AA.... if they request an invite, I don't know that I will extend them one.

When I was a kid I used to love the neighborhood yard sales because half of what we sold went to neighbors, and we bought as much as we sold. :) I got an Atari Jr this way with 30 or so games when I was 12 or 13. Belonged to a guy a block up the road. $15 and I was in heaven for months. :)

I'm still pretty new here. Not sure if I'm "trusted" yet, but I'm interested. I'm really only interested in one thing... A "Demonstration" cartridge. I have the image for my FG99, but I'd like the real thing. In another post, I talked about how my Dad was involved in the multi-level marketing sales with Tronics. I remember he had this cartridge to demo the TI's capabilities.

Ok, maybe I'm a bit dense tonight, but if anyone from the AA community can join this 'swap meet' then why not just post everything here publicly? A private thread doesn't prohibit someone from obtaining goods for future sale.

Not dense at all. I wondered the same thing.

Dunno about others, but I have an item that I'm not looking to make any profit on, my main concern is finding it a good home with a real TI hobbyist or collector that can appreciate it for it's place in contemporary TI evolution. In a private sale I believe I can avoid it ending up in the hands of someone that would just re-sell it to any Tim, Dick or Harry.

I thought you were all about bringing new people in to your fold. Even harry, dick and Tom (you wrote Tim for some reason so I mixed it up as well.) Seems this is a secret transaction club ? Hope it doesn't leave a bad taste when it's said and done.

Edited by marc.hull

It's just a swap shop... Like what we would do at a TI event.

Put your stuff out on a table and see who wants what and what they'd like to trade for it. I'll probably put up a spare 32k card and maybe a cartridge expander.... I have duplicates of some cartridges, etc. I even have an empty PBox in pretty good shape I might put up for trade.

I guess you're asking "why in a PM vs. on the main forum?"

There's nothing secret... I think the concept appeals to me because I know the folks in the group will all be enthusiasts with genuine intentions.

If I wanted to sell my stuff without regard for where it went, I'd sell it on eBay. I'd rather take less money or lower trade value and sell or trade with someone who has a genuine need for the item than monetize my collection.

Years of friendship and fellowship with folks like yourself and many others in our community has taught me that the real value of an item isn't always "what it can get on the open market." I'd rather NOT move my stuff on the "open market," because I'm much more interested in enriching the experience of our community members than I am in "getting the best dollar value" out of stuff. I could just keep it in my collection, for all that matters.... I don't need the money.

I don't know if any of that makes sense. It's late and I'm tired.

• Like 1

It is actually more of a way to formalize the back-channel trades that take place among members on a regular basis--and to expand upon them. There are a lot of things that get traded back and forth between long-time members that go for little more than the cost of postage, even when their open market value may be quite a bit more than that--but they move this way because one of us has a spare and the other one desires to have one of them but may not have the funds to pay that open market price. I have sent stuff to a lot of people that way over the years. It helps keep the community fun factor up. :)

• Like 2

if it's not too late, throw me on the list. i all the time have stuff that really i just want to see the hands of folks that will use them. i'll be out of pocket 7-10 through 7-12 but otherwise i should be alright.

ive got several things in mind software and hardware-wise.