IGNORED

HSC15 Round 11: Pad v1.84 + Minotaur 16K

Pad v1.84

NRV's superb bat n baller has been updated and we're playing it. Pad supports various controllers and has some excellent paddle control settings, NTSC and PAL versions available :thumbsup:

Settings

Play on the following game modes using paddles if you can.

EXTRA (as the main game)

CASUAL (bonus)

ARCADE (bonus)

if the game is too hard for anyone play on easy instead.

Start on 1A ? (You have a choice of screens, I can't remember how the start point effects things)

Info and Download XEX

Post #70 has info on the power-ups and scoring :)

Feedback The previous version had a couple of levels that were too hard and spoiled the enjoyment due to almost indestructable bricks / not being easy to clear so I'm hoping this is improved too. Please post feedback I'm sure NRV will be watching :)

Bonus game Let's take a look at the new [updated version/link]: Minotaur 16K

trbb: "you get to the Minotaur somewhere on the right edge and the screen turns blue then you hold fire in until you go back to the start, the tune and maze shown in full then the titles screen shows your time"

Round ends Sunday in two weeks from now :P 1st July at 10am uk time

Edited by therealbountybob

First go at Pad in EXTRA mode 35700:

post-4219-0-49184000-1529264172_thumb.jpeg

PAL mode in Altirra using a touchpad for a mouse. Need to hook up my Stell-a-daptor!

Gave Minotaur a try but don't quite get it: I go through the maze until hitting an exit, then the maze colour changes and I retrace. But what then and what's the score?

Edited by slx
  • Like 1

I only briefly tested Pad. It is worth mentioning that you need some form of analog controller to play this game. Besides paddles, it supports Atari (ST?) and Amiga mice. I barely managed to insert my Amiga 1200 mouse into my Atari 130XE (connector very deep inside the Atari) but it seems to work if I'm careful. For those of you playing in emulation, that is less of an issue.

Extra: 3230 pts (yes, only a 1 minute test)

Updated scores:

Extra: 32360 pts

Casual: 27020 pts

Arcade: 12240 pts

post-5454-0-70891400-1529330731.jpg

Edited by carlsson

I think you need to set Altirra to use original OS ROMs, not Altirra's legal replacement ROMs. The same issue as we had with Circo Bianco earlier this year in the winter games.

By the way, these are my initial Minotaur times. Note that the maze dimensions are slightly different from Deteacher's numbers, perhaps because he plays on NTSC and I play on PAL?

Mode 3 24x14: 15 seconds

Mode 3 40x22: 28 seconds

Mode 5 60x36: 2 minutes 52 seconds

Mode 5 80x44: 5 minutes 42 seconds

Mode 7 136x68: not yet solved

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 2

Gave Minotaur a try but don't quite get it: I go through the maze until hitting an exit, then the maze colour changes and I retrace. But what then and what's the score?

I should have read that! Now it makes more sense as I didn't figure it out. I guess we use the times shown at the end: "Hi Score Cafe" :twisted: :P

PAD

C 42,500 (3a)

A 41,160 (1a)

X 78,610 (e2)

Is the music is new?... [yes] I love the fact you can stick in paddles in either port and use either one in the set, plus the sensitivity adjustment is neat. Is the B power up bad - small bat but you still get points, I thought the F was firing but perhaps it's "faster" will need to read up on this last time we played it ;-)

The story far...
PAD
Extra. 38,040

Easy, 100,440

Casual. 24,650

Arcade, 7,770

MINOTAUR

Mode 3, 24x14, 00:13
Mode 3, 40x22, 00:32

Mode 5, 60x36, 1:21

Mode 5, 80x44, 3:48

Mode 7, 136x68, 6:20

Hidden level found, screen grab below ....

Great Game :-) But then again with an avatar like mine, who wouldn't like a Minotaur type theme :-)

Minotaur Maze at Kielder Forest [Art Installation]

post-48102-0-18053700-1529604146_thumb.jpg

http://www.visitkielder.com/garden/minotaur-nick-coombe-shona-kitchen-2003

Edited by RedThunder
  • Like 2

Minotaur

think I've got it - you get to the Minotaur somewhere on the right edge and the screen turns blue then you hold fire in until you go back to the start, the tune and maze shown in full then the titles screen shows your time - can someone confirm this is right and I'll add it to the first post thanks :)

3 24x14 0:16

3 40x22 0:17

5 60x36 2:29

5 80x44 2:21

PAD

Paddles users will probably find the 2nd paddle in a set is better as it's less used ;)

C 42,500 (3a) 80,040 (6f)

A 41,160 (1a)

X 78,610 (e2)

• Like 1

trbb - Yes, that is how I played Minotaur and I believe that is how Detecher got his times seen in the screenshots.

I saw that an updated version was just posted, due to a bug discovered in another HSC going on. We might want to play the latest version if it has bugs removed.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 2

Pad

Mode: Extra | Starting level: A1 | Controller: Atari paddle

This is a fun game - much more enjoyable than the official port of Arkanoid to the 8 bit Atari. The only thing that's missing is the laser powerup - or is it available in another game mode?

post-6856-0-16819100-1529592141_thumb.jpg

Edited by graywest
  • Like 1

Minor improvement:

Arcade - 25030 pts

post-5454-0-73068000-1529596223.jpg

The fact that you don't see your score until game over makes it more of a surprise how well you have played. Sometimes I believe one passes a level for an extra ball, but often I think I've done rather well but got nearly no points, and sometimes I think it was a total fiasco but got a good score.