IGNORED

Star Raiders more complicated then the 2600

bradhig1

I beat game 1 and it was a struggle having to switch from speed mode to control mode. Docking is a pain. Even when you get into orbit you have to wait for the robot to come and fix your ship. Feels like an over compilcated Starmaster on the 2600 then Star Raiders on the 2600.

I'm the opposite on this. I really dislike Star Raiders on the 2600 as the graphics and movement of the enemy ships is way to choppy to be playable in my opinion. It was actually the 5200 of Star Raiders that made me want to get a 5200. Sure it requires the keypad but after you learn where everything is, it really becomes a much more smoother and better game overall.

I also prefer Starmaster on the 2600 to Star Raiders. Phaser Patrol is the best of these types of games on the 2600. Although Solaris is one of my favorites on the 2600 it just isn't quite the same game.

I feel like there is no steering in the 2600 version. You just sit there and try to time your torpedos to cross paths with the ship flying around on the screen. The 5200 and A8 version feel like you are actually steering a well designed ship. Some things are more direct and less complicated on the 2600 version, but I think that is because it had to be more simple for the 2600.

There was a reason the A8 Star Raiders was the #1 computer game for about 2 years straight BITD , the game was satisfyingly complex yet still need arcade skills. But you had to keep leaning over the keyboard t play, so the 5200 keypad with its double mapped settings was a great solution, it just takes some practice.

• Like 3

There was a reason the A8 Star Raiders was the #1 computer game for about 2 years straight BITD , the game was satisfyingly complex yet still need arcade skills. But you had to keep leaning over the keyboard t play, so the 5200 keypad with its double mapped settings was a great solution, it just takes some practice.

Agreed. My friend and I played Star Raiders on his 5200 so much that we didn't even need the overlays anymore, we just knew where all the controls were. I loved the Atari 800 version, too (I think that's the first version I played), but it was harder. Either because the joystick wasn't analog or because the typewriter keyboard was harder to use, or both, but we got higher scores on the 5200 version.

I never played the 2600 version, it looked too simple and I was used to the A8 versions already. And it was a port of the original, better idea. For the 2600 I always preferred Stellar Track. I know, even more primitive graphics than Star Raiders for the 2600, but I liked the strategy and pretending like I was looking at a plotting board inside the bowels of my space battleship vs. being a pilot and looking out the cockpit of a space fighter. My friend and I would keep flipping the start switch (I think) to get the game to randomly come up with the most enemies and least star bases, make it a challenge, haahaha, or at least make the game last a while. We got pretty good at winning.

• Like 1

I quickly got tired of the keyboard back then. I hired a co-pilot to help out and paid compensation in the form of time on my consoles and computers.

• Like 1

Yeah, 2600 star raiders is not the benchmark, but the exception. Sorry you don't like the 5200 control scheme, but the 8-bit Home computer version is the original version and concept of the game. The 5200 version is even better because analog joysticks allow for proportional steering on two axis within the 3D spaceflight simulation environment. Crappy control buttons or not, this is clearly the BEST version of Star Raiders out there.

• Like 5

I beat game 1 and it was a struggle having to switch from speed mode to control mode. Docking is a pain. Even when you get into orbit you have to wait for the robot to come and fix your ship. Feels like an over compilcated Starmaster on the 2600 then Star Raiders on the 2600.

Could you please get a friend to translate this into English for you?

The 2600 homebrewers need to start making use of that Star Raiders "Video Touch Pad." There's a lot of potential in that thing.

Or someone create an ultra realistic looking control panel overlay for the Kids keypad controller to use with SR instead?! Provided SR on the 2600 is your thing. I've played the 2600 version a couple of times, but never finish a game as I just pull it out and put in Starmaster or fire up Phaser Patrol instead if I'm stuck using the 2600 at that time.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

Yeah, 2600 star raiders is not the benchmark, but the exception. Sorry you don't like the 5200 control scheme, but the 8-bit Home computer version is the original version and concept of the game. The 5200 version is even better because analog joysticks allow for proportional steering on two axis within the 3D spaceflight simulation environment. Crappy control buttons or not, this is clearly the BEST version of Star Raiders out there.

I used to ACE Star Raiders even in Level 2 ("Pilot Mission") and even mastered the art of using the 5200 keypad after memorizing the overlays to the point that I didn't need them anymore after about 8 months since first getting the cartridge.

BTW, my dream setup for Star Raiders would be more like being in command of the USS Enterprise or the Battlestar Galactica, and since I also own the Wico 5200 keypad and AtariAge/Pixels Past Redemption 5200 interfaces for both 2600 and/or 7800 controllers, I can execute this scenario of a collective team effort:

One person would be the commander, calling the shots, one other person would navigate the ship and fire the photon cannons, using the joystick and fire button, and yet another person can use the keypad, activating the functions and adjusting the speed when necessary.

Star Raiders isn't 'overly complicated', no more so than the old Trek mainframe game it's based on. It's basically a live-action take on that old game, and it improves on it in every way.

It's brilliant, still is, really. One of my top 5 for the 8-bit/5200 ever. Starmaster on the 2600 is a slog. one ship at a time, moving predictably. Star Raiders is way more intense and demanding, which (in my book) means fun.