Controller adapters to use Jaguar or Genesis controller on Intellivision

11 replies to this topic

#1 7800fan OFFLINE  

7800fan

Quadrunner

• 5,555 posts

Posted Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:22 PM

0jESkn2.jpg

Yep, lots of PCBs. I already designed, tested it, and ordered 100 total.

Ej6A4H5.jpg

Various stages of Genesis controller adapters  I only had a few of the 9 pin plug and China ship is being slow with 50 more.  I also need to order 50 of HD-15 ports for Jaguar controllers but that's a bit later (before that d umb 25% tax hits)

oAP945I.jpg

External case for adapter for use on Intellivision II system

toxdsen.jpg

Another view of external adapter as an example.

The adapter boards are also usable internally in all "fat" Intellivision systems. It has connectors so you can use original Intellivision controller, both original controller and the Genesis or Jaguar controllers can be used at the same time.  The Genesis adapter also has a spot to plug in a standard 4x3 keypad if you choose to make a custom box or to hack your favorite Genesis controller to have built in keypad.  Jaguar does not need keypad since it has one already.

The controller and 3 buttons replaces the discs and the side buttons but few games like Vectron would be hard to play with 8 direction controller.  Keypad (if used) are same as original.    Pause button on Jaguar and Start button on Genesis controller are functionally the same as pressing 1 + 9 on keypad, which will pause games that uses this method.

I have not tested every Genesis controller but the standard Sega brand 3 button and the 6 buttons both worked without any issues (X, Y, Z, and Mode button aren't used)

I'm still piecing them all together, the codes are 100% done so that's that.  Right now I have the PCB, 100 of programmable chips, and such but not enough plugs to complete any.

These adapter will require mod.  Specifically it needs 5v to run and 5v is not present on the controller port so you will need to tap it inside the console.  Also a little hole to run the wire and plug for external adapter module.

The basic adapter board is probably going to be about $10 each for DIY internal mod and probably $20 for external mod.  I am not taking order yet, I want to finish assembling what I got and test them to verify they work before collecting money and mailing them out.

Why did I make them?  I loved Intellivision games but hated the non-ergonomic controllers.  Jaguar controller are pretty comfortable to use. Sega Genesis are also nice but without keypad.

Why white PCB?  I am tired of plain old green PCB and PCBWay offers many colored PCB at no additional extra cost.

Edited by 7800fan, Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:24 PM.

#2 eebuckeye OFFLINE  

eebuckeye

Stargunner

• 1,106 posts

Posted Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:39 PM

Want!!

#3 the1hatman OFFLINE  

the1hatman

Dragonstomper

• 972 posts

Posted Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:24 PM

That is amazing. I'd buy one but would have no idea how to perform the necessary mod to install it. Still, I'm sure this will sell very well. Nice work!

#4 vazquezrick OFFLINE  

vazquezrick

Chopper Commander

• 193 posts

Posted Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:01 AM

I’ll take one when you’re ready

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 7800fan OFFLINE  

7800fan

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,555 posts

Posted Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:02 PM

One package received, some more to go:

XVeICx7.jpg

question, any nice name for these adapters?   I thought of playing on the famous gold droid from 40-years old sci-fi film and naming these adapters G-328PO and J-328PO since I originally used ATMega328P to do the controller translation because Intellivision used peculiar protocol for controller.

#6 BBWW OFFLINE  

BBWW

River Patroller

• 3,055 posts
  • If it is not fun move away slowly.

Posted Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:42 PM

want

#7 Blimpers OFFLINE  

Blimpers

Space Invader

• 20 posts

Posted Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:36 PM

Could it take three 1.5 V batteries? I don't want to mod or solder anything.

#8 AtariBrian OFFLINE  

AtariBrian

River Patroller

• 3,472 posts

Posted Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:10 PM

I would love some kind of adaptor that doesn't involve soldering.

#9 Rev OFFLINE  

Rev

A.K.A. Revolutionika

• 16,050 posts

Posted Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:25 PM

JagVision

#10 7800fan OFFLINE  

7800fan

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,555 posts

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:03 PM

They **could** run off batteries.  ATMega chip I am using are designed to work from low voltage up to 5v. I went with 5v mainly because it's available and I can't use 12v that's also available on Intellivision consoles. It runs at 8MHz and will work down to 3.3v without an issue so 3 battery packs should be fine. You'd want to wire in a switch to cut battery off when not using it.

The only issue I see is controllers.  Genesis pad and Jaguar pad were designed for 5v and may not want to work at lower voltage.  I'd need to check to be sure it'd still work at 4.5v from 3x batteries.

#11 vtadave OFFLINE  

vtadave

Space Invader

• 22 posts

Posted Mon Jul 2, 2018 12:15 AM

Will this require soldering? Either way, very interested!

#12 7800fan OFFLINE  

7800fan

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,555 posts

Posted Sat Jul 7, 2018 2:29 AM

Will this require soldering? Either way, very interested!

I'm going to add spring loaded clips so you can attach the adapter to 5v without any soldering.  Thus only cosmetic mod would be needed if you wanted to mount the port for easy access.  Intellivision II would still require soldering.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users