Photo

Controller adapters to use Jaguar or Genesis controller on Intellivision

30 replies to this topic

#26 tripletopper OFFLINE  

tripletopper

Moonsweeper

• 264 posts

Posted Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:32 AM

As for the INTV FB<-> INTV 2 converters, if you don't want to add that functionality, may I refer you to intelliviisonaries.com the INTV podcast, and Nurmix uses it as a store for his INTV FB-> INTV 1 and INTV FB-> INTV 2 passive  controller adapters.  I own a pair of INTV FB-> INTV 1  adapters, even installed them myself, and bought 3 Flashback pads, 2 for the new console, and one to pad hack or a fight stick.  If you don't want to add the feature, consider it taken care of.

Unfortunately, I understand pad hacking enough to know in most consoles (North=1 AND East = 1) electronically equals NE. The 2 toughest system to deal with that problem are the 5200 and Intelllivision.  With the 5200, 100% N + 100 % E = 141% NE.  Only a couple games go into error when that happens, and that can be prevented with a mechanical 4/8-way switchable gate which prevents diagonals.

Intellivision requires actual processing brains because one pin does not equal one direction.  Northeast is a separate actuator and not just the electronic sum of the North plus East.   It would require some sort of circuit somewhere which either on the joystick, actuate another switch when the 2 cardinals are combined, or what you're doing on the Inteliivision.  Since it's stupid to re-invent the wheel, I'll wait until this comes out.  I may get either one Genesis and One Jaguar or 2 Genesis ones, depending on how "keypad heavy" certain Intelliivison games are.  I guess it depends on what my main 2up, either my firends or my brother, want for intellivision, either a Genesis or a Jaguar.

#27 SiLic0ne t0aD OFFLINE  

SiLic0ne t0aD

River Patroller

• 2,258 posts
  • Rock 'N Roller, Space Patroller

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:15 PM

If these ever become available, I'd like to order 2 please! I'll have to buy a Jag controller now. :)

#28 tripletopper OFFLINE  

tripletopper

Moonsweeper

• 264 posts

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:19 PM

I know it takes electronic brains to make this work.  You just can't pad-hack an intellivision controller and make it work.    You're going to need CPU brains somewhere.   I'd like one Genesis one and one Jaguar one.

#29 tripletopper OFFLINE  

tripletopper

Moonsweeper

• 264 posts

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:28 PM

As for the INTV FB<-> INTV 2 converters, if you don't want to add that functionality, may I refer you to intelliviisonaries.com the INTV podcast, and Nurmix uses it as a store for his INTV FB-> INTV 1 and INTV FB-> INTV 2 passive  controller adapters.  I own a pair of INTV FB-> INTV 1  adapters, even installed them myself, and bought 3 Flashback pads, 2 for the new console, and one to pad hack or a fight stick.  If you don't want to add the feature, consider it taken care of.

Unfortunately, I understand pad hacking enough to know in most consoles (North=1 AND East = 1) electronically equals NE. The 2 toughest system to deal with that problem are the 5200 and Intelllivision.  With the 5200, 100% N + 100 % E = 141% NE.  Only a couple games go into error when that happens, and that can be prevented with a mechanical 4/8-way switchable gate which prevents diagonals.

Intellivision requires actual processing brains because one pin does not equal one direction.  Northeast is a separate actuator and not just the electronic sum of the North plus East.   It would require some sort of circuit somewhere which either on the joystick, actuate another switch when the 2 cardinals are combined, or what you're doing on the Inteliivision.  Since it's stupid to re-invent the wheel, I'll wait until this comes out.  I may get either one Genesis and One Jaguar or 2 Genesis ones, depending on how "keypad heavy" certain Intelliivison games are.  I guess it depends on what my main 2up, either my firends or my brother, want for intellivision, either a Genesis or a Jaguar.

I just confirmed he can do reverse Flashback adapters and INTV 2 controller-> INTV 1 console adapters too.  But not now, his "blank" db9 heads have to come in.  But they shouid be ready by the time the INTV Genesis and Jaguar adapters are ready.

I asked if he could do Atari joystick -> Astrocade console adapters, he said he COULD do it, but with no guarantee, because he has no Astrocade machine or Atari controller to test it with.

#30 tripletopper OFFLINE  

tripletopper

Moonsweeper

• 264 posts

Posted Mon Nov 5, 2018 8:40 PM

Also a Playstation to INTV adapter can work with the analog controller if it was divided into 16 regions and a neutral center.  Plus a d-pad can be used for 4-way/8way. Just add a female for the INTV 2 keypad.

If you decide to make Playstation ones, I'd like two for Playstation-> INTV. Otherwise I'll take one Genesis and One Jaguar and HOPE a double conversion of PS2-> Jaguar->INTV or PS2->Genesis-> INTV works.  OR hore someone to dismantle a Genesis (3 button/6-button? I assume it doesn't matter)

Also I'm not familiar with the Intellivision enough to go off childhood memories. I believe both top buttons are equal and are the actuated by your index trigger finger.   And the 2 bottom buttons are independent, there is a bottom left and bottom right.

Also are there any games where "Left action button" and "Right Action button" are more import than the concept of primary, secondary, tertiary?  And in game where there there is a primary, secondary, and tertiary, is the left the secondary and the right the tertiary, or vice versa. (The primary would be ambidextrous as Top.)

With a left handed Genesis and Jaguar joystick, what is the mapping? Gen ABC=Jag CBA = INTV TLR   If reversed for right handed play, what would be the primary setup: Gen CBA=Jag ABC= INTV RLT?  Are there any games where you want INTV LRT.

As I said, I may get a Genesis 3 button pad-hacked anyway, and MAY get a Jag pad hacked if the PS2->Jaguar device doesn't come to fruition.  So if you decide not to make PS2-> INTV adapters, I'll take one Genesis and One Jaguar rom you.   And once I do, I need 2 INTV2-> INTV 1 adapters, and 2 INTV FB-> INTV 2 adapters from Nurmix to get these to work with an INTV 1 console and 2 INTV FB controllers.

#31 grips03 OFFLINE  

grips03

River Patroller

• 3,698 posts

Posted Mon Nov 5, 2018 9:33 PM

delete

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users