IGNORED

Mystery Cartridge

up2knowgood

So, a friend of mine who owns a game store got this in a bundle of Atari games. He's never seen anything like it, and gave it to me wondering if I knew what it was. I have never seen anything like this, so I ask you all, anyone know what this is? I plugged it into an Atari, and I couldn't get it to do anything.

As you can see, it has these strange pegs coming out of it, and has this label on the back, but I don't know what they might do, and what the label means. The pegs are perfectly poked out of the casing, with no scratches around them, making him think that they were not made by a person, but I'm not sure. I think it looks like a regular Combat cartridge that has been modified. I have it with me if anyone wants me to upload more photos of it.

Side

Back

Thanks in advance for any help identifying this thing.

The pictures are a little blurry but it appears you have some sort of home made multi-cart. You use the switches to select which game on the cart will load when powered on.

I am guessing the label on the back has a list of games that tell you what position each switch needs to be in for that particular game to be loaded when the console is powered on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk-

Ok now that I am on my desktop pc and can see the pics clearly I retract my statement above since those are "pins" and not switches. I have NEVER seen anything like that with pins coming out of the cart shell in those locations.

Very bizarre. Kosmic may be correct about a dev cart.

I suspect it's some sort of pirate / dev cart. A couple of thoughts... You may need to jumper some of the pins together to get it to work. The internal EPROM may be either corrupt (due to age) or have been removed.

Can you open the art and provide clear pics of the circuit board? That might help us to offer some better advice.

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the size, all I have is my phone to take the pictures with. And work's been crazy so I'm sorry for not getting back here for so long. Anyway, I took a few pictures of the insides, and there's wires to the strange studs the poke through the front of the cartridge.

More wires

The Wires

The Insides

I have no idea what they could be for.

Edit: I added more photos the Album, close up of the studs on the front, let me know if there's any other photos you all want me to take.

Edited by up2knowgood
  • Like 2

Apparently, you only have half of the device: those pins installed on the case just carry the signals from the atari cart port. A daughter board was obviously meant to be plugged on those pins and, as stated by others, it was most probably an eprom board. Having it in two pieces allows to easily build different boards (for different eproms, or different game sizes for example) without having to modify another cartridge every time.

Edited by alex_79
  • Like 2

Apparently, you only have half of the device: those pins installed on the case just carry the signals from the atari cart port. A daughter board was obviously meant to be plugged on those pins and, as stated by others, it was most probably an eprom board. Having it in two pieces allows to easily build different boards (for different eproms, or different game sizes for example) without having to modify another cartridge every time.

AH! Got it, well, the other parts are missing then, and I certainly don't have the technical skills to make this work. Oh well, thanks for your help, I appreciate it.