IGNORED

I'm back and other stuff...

DavidMil

I hear groans...

This has been a bad year for my wife and I. She is still having problems with her heart but not enough to allow them to open her up. Later this year she may not have a choice.

The last week of April I came down with shingles. I didn't know that it lasted about two months. I'm just now starting to feel like doing something. So much for my whining....

Most of you will be glad to know that I opened the last box in the attic and besides a bunch of 800 mother boards there were a couple of 400's (one complete and one in pieces).

I also found a good way to remove light scratch's and scuff marks on the clear plastic parts.

Well, it's good to be back!

David

• Like 8

Welcome back - very sorry to hear of your (and your wife's) health issues. Good friend of mine had open heart surgery several years back, and he's been having lots of complications from it.

Thank you. We went to her cardiologist today, and he wants to try one other medicine before he recommends doing open heart surgery. We will see if this does any

good.

David

Welcome back David, I really really hope things improve for you and your wife, especially your wife, pass on all our love from us lot in my house and the group...

As for that attic, sure its not an entrance to Narnia???

Thank you Paul. I'll pass on you wish. I home thinks are ok with you all too?

I don't think that Narnia was so hot or so filled with mud daubers as my attic seems to be!

David

I'd be interested to know what you did... I have a few turntable covers I'd like to get rid of scratches on...

I can help with this. How deep are the scratches? If a fingernail can catch them, you'll unfortunately need several grades of sandpaper. 320-grit for the crazy deep stuff, 400 to 600 for the more visible. Don't use your fingers when sanding, you can put deep "valleys" into the plastic. Once you can get to the point that a wet 800 to 1000 grit sanding removes all traces of scratches, and just leaves behind a cloudy surface, you need to move onto the paste. An automotive body "glazing putty" will be the first step. This can be applied by hand of via a random orbital sander. By this stage, you'll have semi-translucent plastic. Move onto a wax as a final stage. This usually requires a power tool to apply. Be very careful of creating any heat with buffing wheels. If you melt a tiny section, the cover is pretty much ruined.

I was able to do this process over a 5 or 6 hour period and remove some incredibly deep scratches from the cover of my Pioneer PL-520 turntable. Sorry I don't have before photos. Just imagine some asshat slid the turntable upside down across a gravel driveway. Excuse the glorious wood paneling.

42960791722_b019c2b233_k.jpg

42108637085_953c46854c_k.jpg

Edited by Stephen
  • Like 3

Here's what DavidMil's attic looks like...

Hey, you sure that's not Bob Woolley's attic? I've been there. Never got to see it all, but it looks familiar.

post-27335-0-93265200-1530021611.jpg

All kidding aside, welcome back!

Edited by ACML
  • Like 1

All my best hopes for your wife, David.

My uncle was going to fly out to my wedding, and the day before he was taken to hospital for heart surgery... He's still going strong 10 years later, so although it's scary at the time, it *can* be ok. Obviously it's better *without* the surgery though, so hopefully the new medication will help :)

Simon.

• Like 1

I'd be interested to know what you did... I have a few turntable covers I'd like to get rid of scratches on...

Oh, about removing scuff marks and little scratches:

A good shammy cloth and some non whiting toothpaste. Be careful about getting the toothpaste on any aluminum parts though. I learned the hard way (as usual)

about the effects of fluoride on aluminum. I ended up taking my 800XL apart to get the smoky plastic piece out. It made it a lot easier to sit in from of the TV and mindlessly

rub (gently) on it for several hours. It looks brand new now! This won't work very well for deep scratches though.

David

This has been a bad year for my wife and I. She is still having problems with her heart but not enough to allow them to open her up. Later this year she may not have a choice.

The last week of April I came down with shingles. \

I'm sorry to hear that. My mom had serious heart issues over the last 20 years of her life, and my wife has had a bout with shingles. Double-ungood on both counts.

Glad you're back - your attic finds have always been interesting. And I'm sure it's good for you to be able to spend a little time nerding-out with Atari fanatics to help from dwelling too much on the negative.

Thank you Paul. I'll pass on you wish. I home thinks are ok with you all too?

I don't think that Narnia was so hot or so filled with mud daubers as my attic seems to be!

David

My lot are ok, you concentrate of the wife and all that side, kind of you to ask......Make sure you get her a lovely treat...

As for Nezgars pic, lol.....Its how it seems David...