Photo

P-Box Owners: FULL BOX?

15 replies to this topic

Poll: P-Box owners poll (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Is your P-Box full?

1. Yes (6 votes [27.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

2. No (16 votes [72.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

Would you be willing to replace your "Flex Cable" if it added new features too?

1. Yes (7 votes [31.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.82%

2. Depends on the Features/Price (13 votes [59.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 59.09%

3. No (2 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

Regardless of features, all bets are off if the price with cables is over:

1. $100 (11 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. $125 (2 votes [9.09%] - View)

3. $150 (4 votes [18.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

4. $200 (3 votes [13.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

5. $250 (2 votes [9.09%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• 12,690 posts

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:47 AM

Some lucky TI'ers have FULL P-Boxes, what do you guys do when you find you need another slot?  Sure, you could remove a card, but what about guys who need and use everything?  How many of you are really out there?  Is there a large enough market for a new item, a "DOUBLING UP" with a new P-Box solution?

What do I mean by a doubling up?  Well, every P-Box needs a FIRE HOSE, some have started to fail, albeit very few, but why not kill three birds with one stone?  (1)Replace that blasted huge & unsightly cable, thus having a new item (2)eliminating worries of failure and (3)ADD and extra function or two getting the most out of a single slot.

The P-Box can be a sizable investment over time, so getting the most out of it seems like a no-brainer, but what, within the realm of reality, would you add to a new and possibly improved flex card replacement?

#2 atrax27407 ONLINE  

atrax27407

Stargunner

• 1,054 posts

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:08 AM

Get one of Jim Fetzners side port splitter cards and add a second P=Box. 

#3 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• Topic Starter
  • 12,690 posts

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:24 AM

220px-Herve_Villechaize_1977.jpg  Da room! Da room!  No room for another P-Box!

#4 RickyDean OFFLINE  

RickyDean

Dragonstomper

• 923 posts

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:13 AM

I posted, a couple of years ago, a picture of a board bridge using a cable and cobbled together adapters, to bridge two PEB boards together. Can't find it right now and lunchtime is almost over.

#5 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,586 posts

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:31 PM

if I added a 2nd pbox I'd need to put it "above" the monitor! or I'd have to stand to see the display!

#6 jstimson OFFLINE  

jstimson

Star Raider

• 77 posts

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:37 PM

Sooooo, a wireless "fire hose"?  That would be awesome.  A tx/rx unit plugged into the side of the TI, and a tx/rx card in the box with some "extra features".

#7 marc.hull OFFLINE  

marc.hull

Stargunner

• 1,297 posts

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:08 PM

Did, done & liken it. Not only do you double your slots but also your drive bays. PEB 2 has two external CF bays for my scuzzy card. Makes back ups a breeze and looks big and imposing which is always cool.

Very worth the extra 3 cubic feet of room it takes and the effort & cost incured to make it happen.

#8 Vorticon OFFLINE  

Vorticon

River Patroller

• 3,245 posts

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:06 AM

Sooooo, a wireless "fire hose"?  That would be awesome.  A tx/rx unit plugged into the side of the TI, and a tx/rx card in the box with some "extra features".

I don't think this would work because the signals are parallel and require specific timings, something that would not be possible to achieve with a serial connection...

#9 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• Topic Starter
  • 12,690 posts

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:07 AM

So far the majority would either go for it or be open to the idea, but then that brings up the $64,000 question... what extra(s) would YOU actually want on the card?

If the point is to eliminate a pre-existing card, what would you want it to be? 

If you wanted to add new options, they skies the limit, but what would you choose?  Putting the speech in the box too?  Adding a CorComp compatible real time clock?  Maybe something new like a USB port?  Something only YOU have thought about?

#10 RickyDean OFFLINE  

RickyDean

Dragonstomper

• 923 posts

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:34 AM

I've, got enough to fill Schmitzi's , 12+ boxes with goodies, But a better designed flex cable/extras, would be nice.

#11 jmazzy OFFLINE  

jmazzy

Space Invader

• 17 posts

Posted Fri Jul 6, 2018 9:06 PM

So far the majority would either go for it or be open to the idea, but then that brings up the $64,000 question... what extra(s) would YOU actually want on the card?

If the point is to eliminate a pre-existing card, what would you want it to be? 

If you wanted to add new options, they skies the limit, but what would you choose?  Putting the speech in the box too?  Adding a CorComp compatible real time clock?  Maybe something new like a USB port?  Something only YOU have thought about?

I'd simply be happy to see that behemoth ribbon cable reduced in size and length.  It's the one part of the system I've always found to be in the way, no matter how I orient the PEB.

That said, I like your ideas:  adding a USB port (or, more specifically, a USB port for a keyboard) and real time clock sound great. 

I imagine cost (ideally, under $100, based on the poll results) would be the key factor here in determining how much goes into it.

#12 atrax27407 ONLINE  

atrax27407

Stargunner

• 1,054 posts

Posted Sat Jul 7, 2018 6:35 AM

You could always use multi-function cards (ex. BWG DSDD FDC with a clock, SAMS which eliminates the need for a 32K card, or a  TripleTech which has a PIO, print spooler and clock). If you still run out of card slots, get one of the Fetzner side-port splitters and add a second box.

#13 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• Topic Starter
  • 12,690 posts

Posted Sat Jul 7, 2018 7:27 PM

...  adding a USB port (or, more specifically, a USB port for a keyboard) 

I dunno about a keyboard USB keyboard for the TI in a P-Box card.  I have my doubts that that is even possible.

#14 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,488 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Sun Jul 8, 2018 2:33 PM

One short and nothing to put in it.

1. Flex Cable Interface
  2. 32k Memory Expansion
  3. RS-232 Interface
  4. SID Master 99
  5. EMPTY
  6. SNUG BwG Floppy Controller
  7. WHT SCSI
  8. Rave99

Attached File  DSC00010.JPG   2.23MB   2 downloads

All cards blue LEDs, except for the BwG which has a dual-color blue/red.

#15 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• Topic Starter
  • 12,690 posts

Posted Sun Jul 8, 2018 4:11 PM

Well now... you just might have to stuff a TIPI in there once the P-Box version is released.

#16 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

Stargunner

• 1,670 posts

Posted Mon Jul 9, 2018 6:59 AM

i always thought the idea of the P-Box cards was a really cool one (with the shell and stuff)- I don't know a lot about that time period of computing but it seems like a pretty forward-thinking thing on TI's part.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users