Photo

Atari ST(e) and OSSC

7 replies to this topic

#1 pixelmischief OFFLINE  

pixelmischief

Stargunner

• 1,125 posts

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:22 PM

Is anyone using the OSSC with an Atari ST or STe?  What is the experience?  Plug & Play?  HD15 or SCART cable?

#2 Sowden OFFLINE  

Sowden

Star Raider

• 92 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:45 AM

Hey there.  I own a OSSC and I have to say it is the best option to use for a HDMI solution.  I have a SCART cable that works great with low and med res.  You can get right up to the screen and see little to no noise or distortion.  Its a strait plug and play and the LCD screen tells you the signal its receiving.  I have heard that the Framemister works great with it too, but this is the next step down as far as price goes, and it is so worth it.  Best solution in my book, highly recommended.

#3 pixelmischief OFFLINE  

pixelmischief

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,125 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:23 PM

The still substantial cost of the OSSC, combined with the uncertainty around its fitness for the targets I want, made me spring for the Framemeister.  I can't say I am absolutely in love with it.  It proved useless for working with VESA video from my old DOS/Windows 3.1 gaming PC's.  However, it does the job better than anything else I have seen so far when it comes to RGB over SCART; which is how I push all of my old consoles.  Maybe I will complete the massive collection of scalers and converters I have acquired over the years and get an OSSC at some point in the future.

#4 robdaemon OFFLINE  

robdaemon

Space Invader

• 12 posts

Posted Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:31 PM

Is anyone using the OSSC with an Atari ST or STe?  What is the experience?  Plug & Play?  HD15 or SCART cable?

I have one, and the Best multisync cable. I'm not terribly impressed with passing through that cable to the OSSC - ST High doesn't look right, and ST Medium seems to be missing lines.

I ordered an SCART cable and I want to try that through the OSSC. I'll post an update when that gets here.

#5 CD-i OFFLINE  

CD-i

Moonsweeper

• 270 posts

Posted Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:34 AM

I have tried both, HD15 and Scart with my OSSC. Go for Scart, as the OSSC has some noise reduction filters over scart which aren't present in the VGA in on AV3. The Picture over Scart has much less noise then the VGA in.

#6 rEdrUm OFFLINE  

rEdrUm

Combat Commando

• 8 posts

Posted Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:06 PM

I have tried EVERYTHING I could to use the ST with my OSSC, absolutely nothing works. I've tried STf, STfm, STe models, PAL and NTSC ones. Nothing comes through. A friend of mine, electronician and well versed in retro consoles and computers, has modified my SCART cable twice for it to work, even adding a 75ohm / TTL switch. Nothing works. At least, thanks to the cable mods he did, it works now on my Sony PVM, I can use any ST model, which was not the case before.

I'm really disappointed since all my other retrocomputers and consoles work without any trouble on the OSSC  :mad: . BTW I've also tried it on a Framemeister, same result !...

#7 robdaemon OFFLINE  

robdaemon

Space Invader

• 12 posts

Posted Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:12 PM

I have tried EVERYTHING I could to use the ST with my OSSC, absolutely nothing works. I've tried STf, STfm, STe models, PAL and NTSC ones. Nothing comes through. A friend of mine, electronician and well versed in retro consoles and computers, has modified my SCART cable twice for it to work, even adding a 75ohm / TTL switch. Nothing works. At least, thanks to the cable mods he did, it works now on my Sony PVM, I can use any ST model, which was not the case before.

I got mine working when the cable arrived a few days ago. At first, it would work for a few seconds, then lose sync, then it would work... Over and over and over. I jiggled the cable a bit and all is good now. I may have a short somewhere in my SCART cable. Which firmware does your OSSC have? I'm running 0.81 on mine.

This is by far the best image I've gotten out of my 1040STe other than using my SC1224. I now have a ZX Spectrum +2 and the STe going though the OSSC's SCART connector using a Hydra 2 SCART switch. I'll add a PC Engine to it soon.

My STe does exhibit ghosting over any cable, so I'm going to perform the upgrade mentioned here: http://exxoshost.co....EOFIX/index.htm- I did something similar to my Spectrum and that cleared up its output.

Edited by robdaemon, Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:14 PM.

#8 rEdrUm OFFLINE  

rEdrUm

Combat Commando

• 8 posts

Posted Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:23 PM

I got mine working when the cable arrived a few days ago. At first, it would work for a few seconds, then lose sync, then it would work... Over and over and over. I jiggled the cable a bit and all is good now. I may have a short somewhere in my SCART cable. Which firmware does your OSSC have? I'm running 0.81 on mine.

This is by far the best image I've gotten out of my 1040STe other than using my SC1224. I now have a ZX Spectrum +2 and the STe going though the OSSC's SCART connector using a Hydra 2 SCART switch. I'll add a PC Engine to it soon.

My STe does exhibit ghosting over any cable, so I'm going to perform the upgrade mentioned here: http://exxoshost.co....EOFIX/index.htm- I did something similar to my Spectrum and that cleared up its output.

Sadly I'm wait past jiggling the cable ... I forgot to mention I also have cheap chinese upscalers that exhibit the sames symptoms. 

I use firmware 0.80a. I doubt the update will change something but I know I have to do it!

The mod you're talking about on the STe is already done on mine!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users