Photo

HSC15 Round 12: Guardians of the Gorn + New Atari Game

45 replies to this topic

#26 carlsson ONLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 7,069 posts

Posted Sat Jul 7, 2018 8:21 AM

For simplicity, I think everyone should start from the beginning. At least I do, not sure if I count as a top player or just someone who participates in every round.

#27 therealbountybob OFFLINE  

therealbountybob

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,856 posts
  • assembling for abbuc 2018
  • Location:Still time to join in the new high score club season!

Posted Sat Jul 7, 2018 12:54 PM

I want to play but I don't get the scoring/ranking system. Why "Top Players fail=out, others can use retries" in NAG?

Is it ok if I just post scores/scr$?

Welcome youxia - yes please join in, it's all fun here.  I just want everyone to enjoy the games.

Yes let's all start from the beginning each time, NAG is not too challenging :)

#28 McKong OFFLINE  

McKong

Stargunner

• 1,945 posts

Posted Sun Jul 8, 2018 2:23 AM

NAG completed 76034

#29 youxia ONLINE  

youxia

Chopper Commander

• 158 posts

Posted Sun Jul 8, 2018 9:40 PM

IMG_20180708_213016.jpg0

Gorn: 4930

IMG_20180708_204838.jpg

NAG: 21632

NAG: great game, but it kills my eyes with these horizontal lines skipping (think somebody already mention that). So I think I'll leave it at that meagre 20k score. Great music, one of the best I've heard recently.

Gorn is awesome, this is the kind of quirky retro game that I love the most. Addictive, but also infuriating, and damn hard :) Might have a go again.

#30 McKong OFFLINE  

McKong

Stargunner

• 1,945 posts

Posted Mon Jul 9, 2018 6:38 AM

Welcome youxia, yes a few less lines on NAG would make it easier to look at for sure. It's a good game but doesn't take too long to beat so could do with the difficult ramping up a bit more in the later races

#31 therealbountybob OFFLINE  

therealbountybob

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,856 posts

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:34 AM

...Had a bunch of goes, it's quite addictive got to 4,810. Killing the bugs is easier than you think just press fire even as you approach the end of a strand - I went on a strand busting spree but then realised I had broken the way home! Seemed to do better clearing more strands so it's easier to keep track of the spiders. Looks like there is a fake blob (perhaps that's the gorn?) at the start, wonder if that is anything :ponder:

So the question is who are the guardians - them spiders and the moth? and what is the Gorn... to late it's gorn :D :-o

Now then guys, I read the instructions (shock) they mention rescuing spaceships and aliens, yes AND, so I wonder if the hidden one also can be rescued. Further to this crazy theory is that when I was on a strand busting spree I think i heard a beep that I didn't expect!!? (he's hearing beeps now, not to mention typing comments to himself about what he is thinking, should really be getting on with that abbuc game matey there is only 21days to go :-o  )

p.s. the Gorn is Mothra :D

#32 graywest OFFLINE  

graywest

Moonsweeper

• 311 posts

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:25 PM

Yesterday I noticed that you actually get points for dodging the Gorn when it flies across the screen. If it exits without killing you, there is a beep to indicate a bonus. Maybe that's what you heard?

#33 graywest OFFLINE  

graywest

Moonsweeper

• 311 posts

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:25 PM

Whoops, double posted somehow.

Edited by graywest, Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:28 PM.

#34 McKong OFFLINE  

McKong

Stargunner

• 1,945 posts

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:51 AM

Guardians of Gorn: The XEX version from Fandal refuses to boot on my 130XE with SIO2SD. It seems to reset loading a couple of times and then bails out with BOOT ERROR a few times. Without Option held down, I get a garbage screen. The ATX (?!) version from Atarimania boots to an orange screen, but nothing happens beyond that.

However on the DVD filled with Atari warez which was included when I bought my SIO2SD, I found a version that boots. Let me know if I should re-upload it, or perhaps there are additional respositories with various ATR, XEX etc files beyond the recommended ones on Fandal and Atarimania.

New Atari Game: I noticed that when you reach game over, you get the option to continue or start a new game. Even if you continue, the score is mostly untouched which means you could play, die, continue, die, continue etc until you have finished all 14 tracks.

I had the same problem, and got the one from vjetnam using graywest's link and that worked so thanks guys

#35 McKong OFFLINE  

McKong

Stargunner

• 1,945 posts

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:01 AM

GOTG 

Edited by McKong, Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:12 AM.

#36 RedThunder OFFLINE  

RedThunder

Moonsweeper

• 372 posts

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:10 PM

Running out of tome on this one :-(

#37 McKong OFFLINE  

McKong

Stargunner

• 1,945 posts

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:22 AM

GORN 3130

#38 therealbountybob OFFLINE  

therealbountybob

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,856 posts

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:55 AM

Running out of tome on this one :-(

:D

#39 RedThunder OFFLINE  

RedThunder

Moonsweeper

• 372 posts

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:15 AM

Good Moaning ;)

#40 McKong OFFLINE  

McKong

Stargunner

• 1,945 posts

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:58 PM

Gorn 4500

#41 McKong OFFLINE  

McKong

Stargunner

• 1,945 posts

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:42 AM

Gorn 6330

#42 carlsson ONLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 7,069 posts

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:53 AM

Very small (0.2%) improvement on NAG: 56696 pts (only got 14 out of 16 stars on route 11)

#43 therealbountybob OFFLINE  

therealbountybob

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,856 posts

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:14 AM

Now then guys, I read the instructions (shock) they mention rescuing spaceships and aliens, yes AND, so I wonder if the hidden one also can be rescued. Further to this crazy theory is that when I was on a strand busting spree I think i heard a beep that I didn't expect!!? (he's hearing beeps now, not to mention typing comments to himself about what he is thinking, should really be getting on with that abbuc game matey there is only 21days to go :-o  )

p.s. the Gorn is Mothra :D

Yesterday I noticed that you actually get points for dodging the Gorn when it flies across the screen. If it exits without killing you, there is a beep to indicate a bonus. Maybe that's what you heard?

:thumbsup:

Yes that's what it was, and what I thought was a hidden dot was just the roll in routine's logic, sometimes they don't stick to the web and come back on the right edge for another attempt, suspect they were trying to force the random distribution placement to be more varied.

Had a lot more goes on GOTG but not managed to improve, fun game though :)

#44 therealbountybob OFFLINE  

therealbountybob

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,856 posts

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:20 AM

Reminder this round closes on Sunday morning UK time. The Round 13 Poll awaits your votes :P

final tables

Guardians of the Gorn
  1st   Deteacher                 12,230     12pts

2nd   graywest                  11,290     11pts
  3rd   McKong                     6,950     10pts
  4th   youxia                     4,930     9pts
  5th   therealbountybob           4,810     8pts
  6th   carlsson                   1,890     7pts
  7th   RedThunder                 1,200     6pts

New Atari Game

1st   McKong                    76,034     12pts*
  2nd   therealbountybob          70,900     11pts*
  3rd   carlsson                  56,696     10pts
  4th   RedThunder                56,512     9pts
  5th   graywest                  42,282     8pts
  6th   youxia                    21,632     7pts
  7th   Deteacher                 21,158     6pts

*completed (14 rounds)

#45 McKong OFFLINE  

McKong

Stargunner

• 1,945 posts

Posted Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:24 AM

Gorn 6950

#46 therealbountybob OFFLINE  

therealbountybob

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,856 posts

Posted Yesterday, 6:04 AM

OK that's all for this round, I've added McKong's last score to the now final table 2 posts up :)

Guardians of the Gorn, nice little game so well done to graywest for suggesting that one and being the runner up but it's congratulations to stalwart Deteacher for the win. Perhaps a bit on the hard side for some and might be nice to have more screens and variable positions of the bases.

Congratulations to McKong for the win on New Atari Game (still a stupid name) not bad but looks like might get another version from gorgh at some point. A while back I reviewed NAG for Pro© Mag should be a new issue out soon with this in it.

Thanks for playing EVERYONE and welcome again to youxia and other new players too, c'mon Mr Trust lets see some scores ;)

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users