Photo

Sound dampening for 99/4A keys?

30 replies to this topic

#26 twoodland OFFLINE  

twoodland

Chopper Commander

• 142 posts

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2019 1:49 PM

Given that this is a thread dedicated to quieting down the TI's keyboard, I'll also note that swapping in a new switch type wouldn't help much with the noise situation. Not only are modern MX switches just as loud as the stock ones found in TI keyboards, but they also sound much more high-pitched.

Even the Cherry MX Silent Switches?!? 

https://www.cherrymx.de/en/mx-original/mx-silent-black.html 

My point is that you could customize the sound and touch to your individual liking...

Edited by twoodland, Thu Jan 3, 2019 1:50 PM.

#27 twoodland OFFLINE  

twoodland

Chopper Commander

• 142 posts

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2019 1:56 PM

I've built & hand-wired my own mechanical keyboard for my PC. One thing that has to be kept in mind is that the switches used in the TI's stock keyboard are much taller than any switch currently available today, so unless a workaround was devised, all of the keys would appear to have "sunk" into the case. Furthermore, you'd need new keycaps, which in my opinion at least would spoil the look of the TI. 

I agree that you might need to make resin molds of the 3 types of angled TI keycaps (Letter, Shift, Spacebar) then possibly dry transfer the images.  I do not have the experience that you do, only from researching it a bit.

#28 AwkwardPotato OFFLINE  

AwkwardPotato

Star Raider

• 53 posts

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2019 3:56 PM

Even the Cherry MX Silent Switches?!?

Ah... I didn't know Cherry made a silent switch! Would be neat to see those in a TI.

I agree that you might need to make resin molds of the 3 types of angled TI keycaps (Letter, Shift, Spacebar) then possibly dry transfer the images.

I suppose that's possible. But for all the time you would spend making the keycaps by hand, along with all the time (and costs) needed to make the PCB, plate, etc. wouldn't it be easier to use a USB adapter & a USB mechanical keyboard? Personally it wouldn't be worth it for me, but I know it probably would be for others.

#29 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Sunbaenim

• 13,495 posts

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2019 4:08 PM

... wouldn't it be easier to use a USB adapter & a USB mechanical keyboard? Personally it wouldn't be worth it for me, but I know it probably would be for others.

I already use Tursi's PS/2 Keyboard adapter, and don't know if it supplies enough current to run that type of keyboard if one exists (I have not checked).  Still M@'s USB keyboard may work.

#30 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

Quadrunner

• 5,423 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Sun Jan 6, 2019 5:00 AM

Your link to my project is out of date (don't use the numbers ;) ).

https://harmlesslion...ftware/keyboard

Current to the keyboard is a straight passthrough from the TI's power supply... but it ran every keyboard I threw at it, including some really old AT keyboards. ;)

#31 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Sunbaenim

• 13,495 posts

Posted Sun Jan 6, 2019 7:51 AM

Thanks for letting me know Tursi. I'll update first thing when I get home tonight.

** EDIT **

Updated!     :thumbsup:

Edited by --- Ω ---, Sun Jan 6, 2019 3:14 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users