IGNORED

PS/2 AT Keyboard On Geneve with PIC12F629.

Shift838

Some weeks ago I started looking into getting an AT keyboard to work on a Geneve. I contacted JediMatt to work on modifying the code for his USB keys, but during my search constant google searching I came across an old post from years back from Tony Knerr (The Great Gazoo). And this post was about getting a PS2/AT keyboard to work on a Geneve and converted the AT key codes to XT key codes using a PIC12F629 MicroController (1k). This was not his project, but he was able to get it working and had a photo (no diagrams) of it actually working and he embedded it into a AT keyboard.

Well that got me wondering, how this could be done. After even more google searching I came across a page that had a wiring diagram and the code for the PIC12F629 to do exactly this, or so I thought. The links were dead. After even more searching I came up with a wiring diagram and multiple versions of the code.

I did have some trouble getting the PIC12F629 programmed, but once I figured out the bit that was causing the code to fail when verified it was resolved.

So now I am happy to report... IT'S WORKING! :grin: :grin: :grin:

All keys, upper, lower, number pad, function keys, etc. Even the num lock and caps lock.

Just another piece of hardware we will be able to add to our Geneve Arsenal!

I will be getting some made to test an actual PCB run.

I did have some trouble getting the PIC12F629 programmed, but once I figured out the bit that was causing the code to fail when verified it was resolved.

post-35187-0-67123500-1530754495_thumb.jpg

post-35187-0-36031300-1530754501.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Were I to modify my Geneve to host this adapter directly on the board, would I be committing an act of blasphemy?

nah. If you feel the need to host it directly on the Geneve go for it. It's has been suggested. I designed it this way to allow it to be used with other computers that accept XT key codes as well.

The case I measured the PCB for is:

HERE

These cases also come in transparent colors which would look cool with the LED. This one is just a beige grayish color.

I just used a standard MIDI cable like the one HERE to hook up between the Geneve and the AT2XT PCB

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1

So this is a USB or PS2 for TI99/4A or just the Genive?

I am working on the side to put a TI99/4A into my old G5 PowerMac Tower:

https://www.macpartsdepot.com/620-3128-922-6783-a1177-enclosure-for-g5-powermac-late-2005.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwkMbaBRBAEiwAlH5v_mQrjQLs2VnDbOV_g5irGUeIY6XRY-uwUa0PQv0cHWCelCR8tMTVahoCdH0QAvD_BwE

Edited by RXB

So this is a USB or PS2 for TI99/4A or just the Genive?

I am working on the side to put a TI99/4A into my old G5 PowerMac Tower:

https://www.macpartsdepot.com/620-3128-922-6783-a1177-enclosure-for-g5-powermac-late-2005.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwkMbaBRBAEiwAlH5v_mQrjQLs2VnDbOV_g5irGUeIY6XRY-uwUa0PQv0cHWCelCR8tMTVahoCdH0QAvD_BwE

this is for any computer that needs an XT keyboard. It converts a PS/2 AT keyboard to a XT interface (not 99/4a). Just happens to work on a Geneve. It will work on many other computers.

I did an all in one last your with a 99/4a and PEB unit..

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1

this is for any computer that needs an XT keyboard. It converts a PS/2 AT keyboard to a XT interface (not 99/4a). Just happens to work on a Geneve. It will work on many other computers.

I did an all in one last your with a 99/4a and PEB unit..

Ok then I need one that I can use how much?

Also I have PS2 to USB adapters so could I use one on this?

Send me address and I can send money for it and you can mail it to me.

my last one got sold this morning to Ksural. I will be ordering more next couple of weeks. I'll post when they come in.

They are $35, which includes Priority mail shipping for US based address.

• Like 1

Ok then I need one that I can use how much?

Also I have PS2 to USB adapters so could I use one on this?

If you want one that goes directly from usb keyboard to geneve XT interface I can put up one in my store for you. Matt's original TI usb design works great on the Geneve with a different firmware and a 5pin Din connector..

Chris's board is PS2 to XT .. why have two adapters to solve one problem

If you want one that goes directly from usb keyboard to geneve XT interface I can put up one in my store for you. Matt's original TI usb design works great on the Geneve with a different firmware and a 5pin Din connector..

Chris's board is PS2 to XT .. why have two adapters to solve one problem

Is the USB to Geneve XT interface available? I got the PS2 to XT interface in from Chris and yesterday the 5 pin din cables arrived. Went looking for my PS2 keyboards and discovered I must have tossed them when I moved last year. So, I need to either buy a keyboard, or a USB to XT interface.

Is the USB to Geneve XT interface available? I got the PS2 to XT interface in from Chris and yesterday the 5 pin din cables arrived. Went looking for my PS2 keyboards and discovered I must have tossed them when I moved last year. So, I need to either buy a keyboard, or a USB to XT interface.

i'm getting ready to build a board for a USB to XT interface that was designed based around JediMatt's USB Keys project wiring and uses the same code, the only difference is it has a 5 pin DIN connector and a jumper. The thinking is eventually it will be able to be used with new code with the jumper to select between USB2XT and USB2AT keyscan codes.

I have all the components to build one for testing and if all works well then I can offer them. The difference with this board is that for the Geneve it will just use a MIDI cable to connect from the adapter to the Geneve.

Edited by Shift838