IGNORED

Newbie Question

RugglesTx

Just purchased a 7800 today on eBay. Honestly just to play Dungeon Stalker, which I️ also ordered today :0

Never owned one before.

It is a composite AV modified model. It includes just the console, no power, controller or Av cables.

Question is other than eBay whats a good source for the power supply? Just weighing my options.

Also and most importantly to me, is there any downside to using a 2600 controller on the 7800? Is a 7800 controller worth a buy?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Edited by RugglesTx

Well,

Best electronics now offers their own version of a 7800 power supply that looks to do the business though I've not seen or used one myself.

Also I believe you can still buy the AtariGuide made 7800 power supplies from Amazon.

As for controllers, you can get by on many of the games with just a set of 2600 controllers. But several games do require the separate fire buttons for them. And for those you would need to get a 7800 compatible controller or possibly one of Edladdin's Seagull 78 adapters that allow you to use a Genesis controller on the 7800 with both fire buttons working fully.

• Like 1

AtariGuide replacment power supply from Data Alchemy: https://www.amazon.com/Ac-Power-Adapter-Atari-7800-System/dp/B007PE1OZY/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Also, this Playstation to Atari/Amiga adapter can be used with the Seagull 78 to use a PSX dual shock on the 78 with two buttons, and it also has mouse modes to use the dual shock analog for Centipede TB. Seems like the Tototek PSX to genesis adapter should work with Seagull 78 as well, minus mouse modes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Commodore-Amiga-CD32-C64-Atari-playstation-adapter-PSX-joypad-joystick-interface/223021677724?hash=item33ed20bc9c:g:SDIAAOxyOlhStDmY

• Like 1

Welcome to 7800 ownership! I like to use OEM Atari-made products on my 7800 personally, but I definitely see the value in saving a few bucks on the PSU and can vouch for the AtariGuide aftermarket ones. I have an Atari 7800 joypad (the name of the NES-style gamepad that the 7800 shipped with in Europe) and a standard Atari 7800 Proline controller/joystick. I also am a big fan of Danthwaders (a user here on the forums) NES-style gamepads that are fully compatible with the 7800 and say Atari on them, thanks to an overlay he makes on his 3D printer. I have one of his originals (Version 1) and also one of his newer ones (Version 2). He typically has the kits available in his wifes Etsy store and occasionally has ready-to-play fully-assembled gamepads for sale on there. Here is the direct link to his Etsy: http://www.itsallgeek3d.com/

You will want a 7800-compatible joystick for the games that require the second fire button (different functions), as previously referenced.

Courtesy of Trebor (another AA forum guy), from a post from a few years ago:

In order to utilize all control features for the original retail library...

2 Buttons Required:

Ace of Aces

Alien Brigade

Asteroids

Basketbrawl

Choplifter!

Commando

Crack'ed

Dark Chambers

Desert Falcon

Double Dragon

F-18 Hornet

Fatal Run

Ikari Warriors

Jinks

Karateka

Mat Mania Challenge

Midnight Mutants

Motor Psycho

Ninja Golf

One-on-One Basketball

Planet Smashers

Pole Position II

Rampage

RealSports Baseball

Scrapyard Dog

Super Huey UH-IX

Tank Command

Tomcat F-14 Flight Simulator

Water Ski

Xenophobe

2 Buttons Optional:

Xevious

1 Button:

Ballblazer

Centipede

Crossbow

Dig Dug

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong Junior

Fight Night

Food Fight

Galaga

Hat Trick

Impossible Mission

Joust

Kung Fu Master

Mario Bros.

Mean 18 Golf

Ms. Pac-Man

Pete Rose Baseball

Robotron: 2084

Summer Games

Super Skateboardin'

Title Match Pro Wrestling

Touchdown Football

Tower Toppler

Winter Games

Light Gun Required:

Barnyard Blaster

Meltdown

Sentinel

Light Gun Optional:

Alien Brigade

Crossbow

Hope all that helps, and again, welcome!

• Like 1

Awesome info, thanks to all for the quick replies.

Looking at the games list no doubt need more than a 2600 controller!

Will check out the links and order tonight on the needed supplies to fire this thing up when it arrives!

Sure thing. Btw, what type of TV do you plan on playing the 7800 on primarily? LCD or old school CRT? I ask b/c if the answer is LCD, there is no point in purchasing a light gun or light gun required games, as the gun will not work on an LCD TV.

Sure thing. Btw, what type of TV do you plan on playing the 7800 on primarily? LCD or old school CRT? I ask b/c if the answer is LCD, there is no point in purchasing a light gun or light gun required games, as the gun will not work on an LCD TV.

7800 will be on a LCD, currently have that and an computer monitor hooked up in my game room.

Run a PS4, SNES Classic, Switch, AVS NES Clone and Xbox One S thru the monitor via HDMI.

Run a Dreamcast, PS1, GameCube, Jaguar and Wii they the LCD, the 7800 will be added to that via component.

Good info on the light gun, thanks.

Id get a cheap CRT but no dang room to put it in current set up :(

Good stuff. Yeah, I am with you on the no room aspect. LCD only for me, too. I run my 7800 through a VCR (acts as a demodulator) b/c my coax input is absolute shit on my TV. Then I have a PS3 on HDMI and the rest on composite inputs: Wii, Dreamcast, NES, N64 and JVC X'Eye.

Good stuff. Yeah, I am with you on the no room aspect. LCD only for me, too. I run my 7800 through a VCR (acts as a demodulator) b/c my coax input is absolute shit on my TV. Then I have a PS3 on HDMI and the rest on composite inputs: Wii, Dreamcast, NES, N64 and JVC X'Eye.

Yeah kinda glad Im outta room cause Im kinda outta gaming money too! :)

Ah the Dreamcast, what a great system. Home of Shenmue the greatest game ever IMO. Really enjoying the NES as well, a system that Ive not played till this year.

Couldn't agree more - Dreamcast is quite a fantastic system. Shenmue is right up there, that's for sure! The NES library is so vast, you'll be able to discover new games for a longggg time. Shame some games are so pricey, though.

Yes price keeps me away from some. Ive decided that $30 is my cap for a NES game.

The AVS plays Famincin games as well, those are $4-$5 shipped from Japan on eBay :0

Spent a bit more per game on the Jaguar games but that tops out around $70 for the home brews from AA.

The 7800 seems reasonable on games. Just have to control myself...

Just cant seem to pull the trigger on those expensive games though do thats good :0

Yes price keeps me away from some. Ive decided that $30 is my cap for a NES game.

The AVS plays Famincin games as well, those are $4-$5 shipped from Japan on eBay :0

Spent a bit more per game on the Jaguar games but that tops out around $70 for the home brews from AA.

The 7800 seems reasonable on games. Just have to control myself...

Just cant seem to pull the trigger on those expensive games though do thats good :0

Nice! Famicom games are great. I'm able to play them in my NES with an adapter that I picked up a while back. I came across an eBay seller, adigy, out of Romania that has a bunch of "Famiclone" games for sale, many of which are in English and are way cheaper than the authentic NTSC NES cartridges. Among the games I picked up for cheap are Panic Restaurant, The Jetsons, a couple of the Adventure Island sequels, a hack that squeezed the Genesis version of The Lion King on NES, and others. He cut me a deal on pricing since I bought so many haha.

Nice! Famicom games are great. I'm able to play them in my NES with an adapter that I picked up a while back. I came across an eBay seller, adigy, out of Romania that has a bunch of "Famiclone" games for sale, many of which are in English and are way cheaper than the authentic NTSC NES cartridges. Among the games I picked up for cheap are Panic Restaurant, The Jetsons, a couple of the Adventure Island sequels, a hack that squeezed the Genesis version of The Lion King on NES, and others. He cut me a deal on pricing since I bought so many haha.

Thats good stuff. Mine are in Japanese. Some are easy enough to play like baseball, platform era and shooters. Other are not playable for me due to language issues. But its kinda fun bumping around in then trying to figure out what to do :)

And they are really cool looking carts compared to most American releases,

• Like 1

Welcome to the club! Most of the good games are dirt cheap. Robotron is my favorite. If you play that one, set yourself up with two sticks on a table or use two SEGA pads. Don't forget to stock up on the awesome homebrews for the 7800. I'm dying to get my hands on Baby Pac-Man personally.

Welcome to the club! Most of the good games are dirt cheap. Robotron is my favorite. If you play that one, set yourself up with two sticks on a table or use two SEGA pads. Don't forget to stock up on the awesome homebrews for the 7800. I'm dying to get my hands on Baby Pac-Man personally.

The homebrews are definitely excellent! Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest just wows you on what the 7800 is capable of. I'm a big Robotron fan, too. Growing up in the 90s, my first Robotron exposure was through a Williams Arcade Collection on PC.

You could always buy DanthWader's 7800 coupler, too! I've heard good things. https://www.etsy.com/listing/577109872/atari-7800-controller-coupling-w?ref=shop_home_active_4

Thanks all!

First 7800 arrived today, sweet! Dark Chambers seems like a great game so far.

Picked up a joystick as well as you can see. Has a Halloween game theme on it, pretty sweet stick :0

Have Beef Drop and Dungeon Stalker from AA inbound as well.

Looking forward to getting more game.

2yplv1v.jpg

Edited by RugglesTx
  • Like 1

Thanks all!

First 7800 arrived today, sweet! Dark Chambers seems like a great game so far.

Picked up a joystick as well as you can see. Has a Halloween game theme on it, pretty sweet stick :0

Have Beef Drop and Dungeon Stalker from AA inbound as well.

Looking forward to getting more game.

2yplv1v.jpg

Awesome! Where'd you pick up the stick? I like Dark Chambers. It's very Gauntlet-like but was technically based on Dandy, which pre-dated Gauntlet. I just wish it had some music!

Dropkick Murphys fan, I see! Rock on.

Awesome! Where'd you pick up the stick? I like Dark Chambers. It's very Gauntlet-like but was technically based on Dandy, which pre-dated Gauntlet. I just wish it had some music!

Dropkick Murphys fan, I see! Rock on.

Stick from Etsy which is like eBay. They had a Texas Chainsaw version as well. $89 plus shipping. The graphics are cool on it

110lw2g.jpg

167qmb7.jpg

Love Dropkick Murphys, seem them twice, excellent shows!

Yeah loving it so far, seems like a great game to play to relax. Turn it on, sound turned down. Turn on some music and have a beer or whiskey while playing. Thats a great game to me.

Im really looking forward to Dungeon Stalker, in fact its the game bought a 7800 to play honestly, hope its as great as it seems!

Good stuff. Ah yeah, just found the TCM version on Etsy. Enjoy yours, looks like a winner. I hear you about a drink while playing that one. Haven't turned the sound down + supplementing with my own music, but it's a good idea. Dungeon Stalker likely plays similarly to Dark Chambers but I've heard it's better overall than DC.

Good stuff. Ah yeah, just found the TCM version on Etsy. Enjoy yours, looks like a winner. I hear you about a drink while playing that one. Haven't turned the sound down + supplementing with my own music, but it's a good idea. Dungeon Stalker likely plays similarly to Dark Chambers but I've heard it's better overall than DC.

Great to hear about Dungeon Stalker.

Your music adds a nice addition to the game, Im partial to do it with almost all games, new or old.

Xbox One game called Sea Of Theives is all about being a pirate. So some Alestorm (pirate themed heavy metal) playing is a perfect mix.

Dark Chambers or Dungeon Hunters would mix well with some fantasy based music like Twlight Force or Tulsadoom.

But some Atari with some 80s music of almost any kind is a perfect fit :0

Edited by RugglesTx

Nice, appreciate the suggestions! So you've got Dungeon Stalker and Beef Drop on the way from AA, any other standard 7800 games?

Sadly not yet :(

Bought Super Cobra, Seawolf and Draconian from AA as well but those are for the 2600. Those should all arrive together. That drained the game fund temporary!

Going after some 7800 on eBay when the fund is back up and running! Ms Pac-Man, Food Fight, Choplifter all on the plan.

Then more from AA at some point. Really like the looks of KC Munchkin and Frenzy. Others as well !