IGNORED

video games that turned out worse on more powerful hardware

Honorable mention: Mega man for Game Gear. A game published by US Gold that's actually worse than it's Gameboy counterparts. What's more, this is on a platform that is marginally better than the NES.

Indeed. The graphics and controls weren't bad, but the programmers didn't really understand Mega Man: Bouncing power capsules? Quick Man's level used as a Wily level? WTF?

How did Tempest 3000 compare to 2000? (Just curious, I've never played it or even seen footage.)

Not surprising that you haven't played it. It was a Nuon exclusive, I think. I haven't played it either, but did find some videos on YouTube... standard resolution or something.. they're all blurry...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxLdCBJVTNQ

Yes, it was exclusive to NUON. I guess you could say it was going for more of a natural look, less pixelated? But the result is a blurry, low resolution, smeared mess. Low framerate, too. Totally skippable. I guess NUON was more powerful than Jaguar in a few specific ways, but there wasn't much software around that could prove it.

Stick with Tempest 2000 on Jaguar (or DOS or Saturn in a pinch), Tempest X on Playstation, TxK on Vita/PSTV, and the upcoming Tempest 4000 on Xbone, PS4, PC.

The consensus is that the NES ports of Contra and Double Dragon 2 are superior to the arcade.

I've personally never played arcade Contra and I barely played arcade DD2 as a kid.

Dunno about Double Dragon 2, but the arcade version of Contra is quite good. The NES version is quite a technical feat, considering how close it is, but "better than the arcade" it is not.

I'm basing all this on the Xbox 360 release of the arcade version, btw. I haven't actually played or even seen a Contra machine, which I understand to be not super popular.

Playing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for NES, and then playing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for DOS or Amiga never fails to elicit a reaction to the effect of "Dafuq happened here?"

(Speaking of janky DOS ports: Street Fighter. Holy god. I still had fun with it as a kid, though. :-D )

Choplifter is probably a matter of opinion, but I don't find the Coleco or Atari 7800 versions better than the Atari 5200 version (or the Apple original). The digital controls of the Coleco and 7800 versions are a bit herky-jerky for my taste.

Dunno about Double Dragon 2, but the arcade version of Contra is quite good. The NES version is quite a technical feat, considering how close it is, but "better than the arcade" it is not.

Way better than the arcade. Up up down down left right left right B A start. Can't do that in the arcade.

• Like 1

EVERY SINGLE ODYSSEY 2 GAME remade on any Atari system or PC. Also O2 Turtles is better than arcade Turtles.

Wow, that's a strong opinion. What are some examples? I know there are some amateur homebrews of Pickaxe Pete and KC Munchkin, but do they really count? Are there others? I want to know because I love some of the old Odyssey 2 games.

• Like 1

Playing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for NES, and then playing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for DOS or Amiga never fails to elicit a reaction to the effect of "Dafuq happened here?"

(Speaking of janky DOS ports: Street Fighter. Holy god. I still had fun with it as a kid, though. :-D )

Choplifter is probably a matter of opinion, but I don't find the Coleco or Atari 7800 versions better than the Atari 5200 version (or the Apple original). The digital controls of the Coleco and 7800 versions are a bit herky-jerky for my taste.

The Sega Master System version of Choplifter, which was out a full year before the 7800 version, is the best home version there is, hands down.

• Like 3

Well, there are attempts on the 2600 at UFO, Pick Axe Pete, KC Munchkin,and Killer Bees and while I appreciate the efforts, all pale in comparison to the originals. There is also a Smithereens like game called defend your castle for the 2600 I find less enjoyable than the more simple original.

PC versions of Quest for the Rings and Attack of the Timelord disappointed as well...

• Like 1

I know it doesn't necessarily follow the rules, and it's more personal preference than anything, but I like Mario Bros on the 7800 better than Mario Bros on the NES.

I think the 5200 version is the best of the American versions, hate the 7800 sounds and graphic changes. But yes, the original NES version is weak too.

However,Mario Brothers Classic Serie on Famicom blows away every other version of Mario Bros. ever made, including the vertical scrolling crappo on the more advanced Game Boy Advance...

• Like 1

Actually I correct myself.

The Atari XE only version of Mario Bros. is the best American version and if you consider the NES more advanced than the XE, well it's clearly better.

While I appreciate the funky level designs of Qbert 3 on the SNES, it's a real step down from the original Qbert and the better earlier home variations, including NES....