IGNORED

Retro gaming news sites?

I would really like to keep the front page of AtariAge busy with retro gaming news posts. It's hard for me to do it by myself, though. Even having pointers to interesting retro gaming items would be a big help. I tried to get something going last year, but ended up being ridiculously busy the second half of last year and that fell apart. Would like to get that going again, and I was offering AtariAge subscriptions for those who were writing up items I could post (which saves me considerable time and makes it must easier to get things posted).

There's tons of classic gaming news, really, so it's not like there's a lack of things to post.

..Al

• Like 2

S1500 -- I think the best way to get your retro gaming "news" is to follow a bunch of sites. Honestly, the "news" is going to be repeated and regurgitated all over the place, and isn't very filling. Google Alerts can give you things like that, but how many times do you want to hear about "the new systems from Atari and Intellivision" from slightly rehashed press releases, instead of real analysis?

It's the slow-burn, long-read "features" that are most interesting to me. I have a whole mess of RSS feeds that would be of interest. Here ya go: https://feedly.com/WizOdd

YouTube is another way to get a lot of stuff about old games, but I find the format flabby and not very informative. I can read a LOT faster than some video dude can rant, especially if he's (it's almost always he) trying to be "entertaining."

• Like 1

I think manually going through my go to websites is OK. I think having an RSS feed is OK too. At first glance having someone post links to other retro news sites articles seems redundant.. but, I dunno. I personally wouldn't mind contributing links to interesting retro indie game items.

• Like 1

I think manually going through my go too websites is OK. I think having an RSS feed is OK too. At first glance having someone post links to other retro news sites articles seems redundant.. but, I dunno. I personally wouldn't mind contributing links to interesting retro indie game items.

Even knowing what interesting items other sites are reporting on would allow me to go to the source and write up something original for the AtariAge front page. I can also post such things to the AtariAge Twitter and Facebook accounts.

• Like 3

Even knowing what interesting items other sites are reporting on would allow me to go to the source and write up something original for the AtariAge front page. I can also post such things to the AtariAge Twitter and Facebook accounts.

Just tell me what you need me to do to get started. I'll make it part of my web surfing routine :)

Whatever you choose to do, I hope you focus on quality, not quantity. Speaking for myself, I come here for home-brews and discussion, not "news."

Another thing to do might be a Nuzzel feed -- that way, if something gets a certain number of likes or retweets from people you like, they could go in a sidebar.

I think we're all into somewhat different stuff though, and you might not want to establish too strong of an editorial voice. Next thing you know, cow-pie salesmen will be appropriating your name and accusing you of not providing sufficient coverage of the "new VCS."

Maybe we could have a News forum where people could post news and/or links to interesting news they've found on other sites. I could actually cull curated news postings (ones I've gone through and edited, or written from scratch) directly from the forum, which might make things easier on my part. Sites like Macrumors.com have a dedicated "Macrumors News Discussion" forum which mimics what they post on the front page of their site:

https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/macrumors-com-news-discussion.4/

These items are all posted by Macrumors, but there could be a "User Submitted News" forum as well. I could then move items into the "Retro Gaming News Discussion" (or similarly named forum) if I use an item in the "User Submitted News".

..Al

• Like 3

That sounds good.

My personal preference is going to be things like "here's an interesting article about an old game you might not remember" rather than "oh look, here's some more brand necrophilia in search of your wallet."

I trust you to avoid the worst of the clickbait.

I'm glad to see some traction here.

Yes, I know most of the sites like IGN, polygon, are just regurgitating other news' sites info, but I just wish I could see all the regurgitation in one place. I even find interesting retro gaming related news articles on hackaday.com's blog(like quake on an oscilloscope). But if I were to go to IGN, I'd find 200 modern gaming articles for 1 retro-related one.

• Like 1

I would really like to keep the front page of AtariAge busy with retro gaming news posts...There's tons of classic gaming news, really, so it's not like there's a lack of things to post.

..Al

There is? What are the biggest 5 recent subjects that would categorize as retro gaming news?

I guess the Twin Galaxies news with Billy and Todd; the newest retro box that a company has announced; maybe the latest Ben Heck project? That's all that comes to mind to me. You are no doubt busy enough Al, I'd hate for this news idea to make you burn time to reiterate blurbs about stuff that other sites and YT videos have posted too. A news forum sounds like a good way to let the hundreds of active AA forum members do leg work for you.

Myself, I'd like to see AA front page "news" about homebrew game and controller and AV efforts, retro gaming shows, links to great YT videos such as interviews with the OG 80s folks and gaming conventions and features on various game series, and so on. Just my $0.02 .

• Like 1

There is? What are the biggest 5 recent subjects that would categorize as retro gaming news?

I guess the Twin Galaxies news with Billy and Todd; the newest retro box that a company has announced; maybe the latest Ben Heck project? That's all that comes to mind to me. You are no doubt busy enough Al, I'd hate for this news idea to make you burn time to reiterate blurbs about stuff that other sites and YT videos have posted too. A news forum sounds like a good way to let the hundreds of active AA forum members do leg work for you.

Myself, I'd like to see AA front page "news" about homebrew game and controller and AV efforts, retro gaming shows, links to great YT videos such as interviews with the OG 80s folks and gaming conventions and features on various game series, and so on. Just my $0.02 .

There's a ton of retro indie game development news. As a developer and consumer of retro indie game making tools I'm always finding new things. That interest extends to retro hardware and playthroughs. I've got a stream I co-host on Thursdays. Kind of forces me to dig up interesting bits already :)

How would people feel if I move the "Site" section above the other forums at the top of the main forum index? I'd include "Announcements", "Retro Gaming News", "User Submitted Retro Gaming News", and "Web Site Comments". I feel the "Announcements" and "Web Site comments" forums are lost at the bottom. I've seen many other forums usually put forums like this at the top, and it's something I've considered for a while. This would help drag more attention to these forums, especially the new "News" forums, since I really would like to make the front page more active again.

Just as an FYI for those who don't know, you can collapse a group of forums by clicking in the upper-left corner of the blue border for that section. A "-" button will appear, which if you click will then collapse that section. I believe the forum sets a cookie to remember those settings, so when you come back to the forum it will remember that you collapsed the section (at least when you are on the same device).

..Al

• Like 4

Not a bad idea, all this.

Apparently I am the only one who actually likes having to keep track of a dozen or so different Forums, and also a score or more of online homebrew webpages and storefronts. More labor intensive, but there's a ton of homebrew game and hardware projects that rarely get above those levels of attention. Sometimes I have to keep checking on things for years on end.

• Like 1

They're not much for retro but it does get covered when it applies, but if you're into handheld devices (which could include Switch too) http://tinycartridge.com/is a great site. They mix the retro in with the posts, last one right this moment on the page are scented candles based on the sega genesis and dreamcast which is strange. The site highlights the new, but also the old, or the old on new (like Neo Geo ACA on Switch) too. It's an odd mix, but the site seems to rarely come up getting overlooked compared to the big fish which isn't a bad thing.

• Like 2