IGNORED

New Intellivision Entertainment System Games

New Intellivision games  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in the new games being developed by Intellivision for their new system?

• Yes, I want to see new games.
    • No, I am not interested in what they are developing.
    • I mainly want a cartridge support but will buy some of the new games.
    • I only care about the cartridge support and will not buy the new games developed.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Technically it's already been done. There's a version of mame (mamehub) that does it. I tested it with Intellivision and it works surprisingly well. Unfortunately it has a bug with analog controllers and mame itself has issues with some intellivision roms (e.g. nasl soccer).

The way it achieves high performance is each player is playing locally but the two systems are synchronised over the internet. So your actions never have any internet latency.

Is mame strictly for PC use or does it also work well with mac or Raspberry Pi platforms? Could it be used on systems like this new Intellivision or Ultimate Flashback systems? I know little about this but the options it opens up intrigues me. Sorry for peppering you with so many questions.

Feel free. I've tried before to no avail. Understand I do not disagree with what you're trying to say here but his constant attacking of mr_me is uncalled for considering m_m has posted nothing inflammatory in nature. I'm all for members taking issue with name calling and flaming but it should be directed towards those putting labels like "troll" and "nazi" on others for simply expressing an opinion.

I'm sure mr_me can take care of himself. And I never called him a troll, nor have I ever called anybody a "nazi." "Semantic lawyer nazi" was in the spirit of "grammar nazi," which does not at all suggest anything to do with Nazism. Get some perspective.

Not remotely true. Not here, or here, or here (my initial post in each thread). However, you did exactly that here.

I was responding to Soulbuster, since he ended his comment with "make of that what you will," so I made of it that response. But nice try.

You want to continue this?

Is mame strictly for PC use or does it also work well with mac or Raspberry Pi platforms? Could it be used on systems like this new Intellivision or Ultimate Flashback systems? I know little about this but the options it opens up intrigues me. Sorry for peppering you with so many questions.

Mamehub is a special mame build; Windows, Mac, and Linux supported. Raspberry Pi might be a little underpowered; retropie does come with old versions of mame (not mamehub). I haven't spent much time with it and I get the sense that it's not that well supported. I don't expect the analog control to be fixed. The nasl soccer bug is an old mame bug that has yet to be fixed. Mame in general is very well supported with most bugs addressed quickly. It can be ported to almost anything. Edited by mr_me

I'm sure mr_me can take care of himself.

Hardly the point since he is not the only object of your affection. Honestly, I think your most recent round of eyerolling in most threads can be traced back to Dude selling off your gift to him. As I said then, let the bitterness go.

And I never called him a troll,

Didn't say you did. Check the link. Again, your attitude issues don't just extend to just one person.

nor have I ever called anybody a "nazi." "Semantic lawyer nazi" was in the spirit of "grammar nazi," which does not at all suggest anything to do with Nazism. Get some perspective.

At all? Don't be obtuse. It suggests plenty to do with it or the term wouldn't be there to begin with. Words have meanings even if they sometimes become inconvenient for you. Spin it however you wish but you tossed the name out there. Now you get to own it.

I was responding to Soulbuster, since he ended his comment with "make of that what you will," so I made of it that response. But nice try.

It was your first post in the thread and it was to take a cheap shot at someone. You incorrectly accused me of doing this after having done it before yourself. I don't need to "try". Your hypocrisy is there for anyone wishing to click the link.

You want to continue this?

Here? No. I do not wish to get MrBeefy's poll locked over our debate. We can continue over PM if you like.

Mamehub is a special mame build; Windows, Mac, and Linux supported. Raspberry Pi might be a little underpowered; retropie does come with old versions of mame (not mamehub). I haven't spent much time with it and I get the sense that it's not that well supported. I don't expect the analog control to be fixed. The nasl soccer bug is an old mame bug that has yet to be fixed. Mame in general is very well supported with most bugs addressed quickly. It can be ported to almost anything.

Thank you for the quick response. I will have to check out the site. It will be interesting to see if things like this can run on the proposed new system or if they will need to block such programs to protect against some of the 3rd party issues they have addressed in other threads. The new system has me very interested in all the new possibilities it opens up but I understand if some things have to be kept in check, like emulators, or never implemented, such as cart ports/adapters.

You asked "You want to continue this?" and I answered. Don't like the response? Then let's hash it out over PM.

Actually, you did more than that.

Hardly the point since he is not the only object of your affection. Honestly, I think your most recent round of eyerolling in most threads can be traced back to Dude selling off your gift to him. As I said then, let the bitterness go.

Didn't say you did. Check the link. Again, your attitude issues don't just extend to just one person.

At all? Don't be obtuse. It suggests plenty to do with it or the term wouldn't be there to begin with. Words have meanings even if they sometimes become inconvenient for you. Spin it however you wish but you tossed the name out there. Now you get to own it.

It was your first post in the thread and it was to take a cheap shot at someone. You incorrectly accused me of doing this after having done it before yourself. I don't need to "try". Your hypocrisy is there for anyone wishing to click the link.

Here? No. I do not wish to get MrBeefy's poll locked over our debate. We can continue over PM if you like.

It seems you want to continue this argument.

I am always excited to see new games running on the old Intellivision hardware, because it's amazing seeing the old hardware being pushed to its absolute limits, to see what can be done when the games aren't limited to 4K or 8K. It requires some real talent to code for such rudimentary hardware.

But I just can't get excited about new Intellivision branded hardware. Nostalgia is just not enough to make me want one of these new Intellivision systems, or similar systems like the Atari VCS.

They end up just being Linux based boxes with emulators for the original hardware, the only thing they have in common with the original hardware is the name, and the styling of the console case.

- J

Edited by HunterZero

I am always excited to see new games running on the old Intellivision hardware, because it's amazing seeing the old hardware being pushed to its absolute limits, to see what can be done when the games aren't limited to 4K or 8K. It requires some real talent to code for such rudimentary hardware.

But I just can't get excited about new Intellivision branded hardware. Nostalgia is just not enough to make me want one of these new Intellivision systems, or similar systems like the Atari VCS.

They end up just be Linux based boxes with emulators for the original hardware, the only thing they have in common with the original hardware is the name, and the styling of the console case.

- J

I think in this case, the focus will be on new games on new hardware. Think of it as a new console that happens to play classic games -- sort of like what Nintendo did on the Wii with their old arcade games.

• Like 1

They end up just be Linux based boxes with emulators for the original hardware, the only thing they have in common with the original hardware is the name, and the styling of the console case.

- J

I can see that point of view. For me though the new games and updated controllers outweigh those concerns. I'll always be an original hardware and complete in box kind of retro-gamer but I also see the appeal of a new system like this and think it will make a nice complement to my existing collection.

I think in this case, the focus will be on new games on new hardware. Think of it as a new console that happens to play classic games -- sort of like what Nintendo did on the Wii with their old arcade games.

That is what I am hoping and any other classics that get released would be bonus.

I hate to be the Debbie Downer...

New games running on new hardware will just be "some new games" to me, similar to other new games I can just download to my PC, console or phone. New games on new hardware would not be "Intellivision" games to me, they'd be new games that could run on any modern hardware. I am a little interested to see if they make newer versions of Intellivision classics, but they will be limited to non-licensed games (no D&D games, no Data East games...). I still remember the absolute failure that was the "Intellivision Gen2" kickstarter, it absolutely failed to gain much interest, which doesn't bode well for the whole "new classic games on new hardware" thing.

Running the old original games on new hardware is nothing new any more either, I can just run an emulator on my PC or Raspberry Pi or even my phone, and I can use modern controllers with them (even though the controller with its quirky disc, awkward numberpad and terrible side buttons is a huge part of what makes these games feel like Intellivision games).

The connection with the original hardware and games is just too tenuous for me to get enthusiastic and for nostalgia to kick in. I'm not going to buy something new just because it has the Intellivision logo on it.

Honestly, I can't see how these nostalgia consoles can succeed in today's market. They will never be mainstream, they only have what little nostalgia is left for the original brand and games.

- J

Edited by HunterZero

I don't think any of that makes you a "Debbie Downer". Your opinion is valid and your concerns are not unwarranted. I think you may be underestimating the new system's capabilities and the ability of the team behind it to draw licensing deals for new or updated games but, until we see it in action, there's every bit as much chance that you're correct as anyone.

As I said, I see more as a complement to my original hardware/software than something that has to be "mainstream" to be appealing. Even if they deliver on everything discussed it still won't replace my original gear as my main mode of play.

New games running on new hardware will just be "some new games" to me, similar to other new games I can just download to my PC, console or phone. New games on new hardware would not be "Intellivision" games to me, they'd be new games that could run on any modern hardware. I am a little interested to see if they make newer versions of Intellivision classics, but they will be limited to non-licensed games (no D&D games, no Data East games...). I still remember the absolute failure that was the "Intellivision Gen2" kickstarter, it absolutely failed to gain much interest, which doesn't bode well for the whole "new classic games on new hardware" thing.

Running the old original games on new hardware is nothing new any more either, I can just run an emulator on my PC or Raspberry Pi or even my phone, and I can use modern controllers with them (even though the controller with its quirky disc, awkward numberpad and terrible side buttons is a huge part of what makes these games feel like Intellivision games).

The connection with the original hardware and games is just too tenuous for me to get enthusiastic and for nostalgia to kick in. I'm not going to buy something new just because it has the Intellivision logo on it.

Honestly, I can't see how these nostalgia consoles can succeed in today's market. They will never be mainstream, they only have what little nostalgia is left for the original brand and games.

- J

I don't think you were being a Debbie downer.

We will have to wait and see about their developers.

Also there is nothing against a remake of D&D. You just might not be able to call it D&D.

You might not feel like it is INTV but at least it has the right backing. In a way I could say Nintendo had its best system with the SNES but it doesn't change that the later systems are Nintendo. It will be an INTV system but not necessarily something you want or are interested in.

I don't see it taking the world by storm, But I am optimistic that they are at least trying something good. Time will tell, but at least unlike other boxes they seem to have their head on straight with where they are heading with it.

I'm curious what they will do for controllers.

Intellivision controls would be faithful and retro, but unappealing to most.

Modern controllers would be bad for the old games, and not distinct enough to differentiate from everything else out there.

I don't have a solution other than "pack in both to try to please everyone," which seems inelegant.

I'm curious what they will do for controllers.

Intellivision controls would be faithful and retro, but unappealing to most.

Modern controllers would be bad for the old games, and not distinct enough to differentiate from everything else out there.

I don't have a solution other than "pack in both to try to please everyone," which seems inelegant.

I think someone mentioned it elsewhere but I think the 3ds controller would be a good in between the disk but just right for modern games too.

Intellivision controllers would be unappealing to gamers. Fortunately, they are targeting non-gamers, although I'm sure gamers will complain about the new controller like they do with any new controller. It will have a disc and the keypad will become a touchscreen. It isn't a nostalgia product so they won't be replicating the old controller.

Regarding Advanced Dungeons and Dragons and Treasure of Tarmin; no licensing required. Those game have been included before with a simple name change. And it sounds like they are getting licenses to Intellivision games that they previously didn't.

Edited by mr_me

- J

Perhaps they are not counting on the Intellivision brand and nostalgia as much as you think. It could be that they are trying to build a brand new console to address what they think is a particularly underserved market, and that the Intellivision name is just a bootstrap to include the niche retro market as well.

In that case, the console is not a "retro" console anymore than the Switch or the XBox One -- it's just targeting a different market, like the Wii tried to do when it started.

Whether that market really exist and is large enough to sustain this venture, and whether the console can actually fulfill that promise is sort of a long shot. It also depends a lot on its launch titles and the games themselves. You are right, you can play new games on any new console, so the games on this console need to be extra special. Whether they can pull that off is also a question right now.

-dZ.

• Like 1

Hello, I got an update about Netrogames. After Keith Robinson died, Steve Roney looked at my Netrogames Idea and said tat 56k was too few bits/ second to adequately do it.

First fo all I said I was assuming the Sprint Direct Connect had a maximum speed of 56 kb/s becuase it was only meant as a voice network. ut I showed, theat if you're within a 2400 km limit, the low ping of Sprint Direct Connect will connect 2 systems fast enough so that you don't have to send extra data like the plethora of extra data required in most modern games. I was assuming the only thing transmitted was joystick data and random number synching data, and using the power f the "straight line network" to beat the clock of a half frame needed to transmit data and process it in time for the next frame.

Second of all, if Steve Roney says he can't do it in 56 kb/s, the good news is, according to Tex Tiexera, the Executive Engineer at Sprint, said that a) low ping data is possible with Direct Connect without any new burdens on the network, and b) Direct Connect can do as fast data speeds as the Sprint network allows along the path. I think the network is like 99.9% covered for 3G, which is 500 kb in/150 kb out and over 95% of the nation has 4G LTE with is anywhere from 10-100 MB in, 3-30 Mb out. Literally the only difference between a traditional connection and a Sprint Direct Connect connection is the advantage of straight line data, and the disadvantage (Sprint would call it a "feature") of only working on a "Sprint to Sprint direct connection " with no foreign networks to bounce the signal.

If Steve Roney is reading this, this is the way you networkize the old Intellivision games, make it feel like the original locally with no lag, and no add any new code, which means third party INTV cartridges can be played online because you're not using third party game code to make the network work, so you're not creating an unauthorized derivative work.

Of course to go beyond a half light-frame (2400 km assuming 60 F/s, the distance is longer if less Hz rate) of distance one way, you might have to make a derivative network code. But this would be a start.