IGNORED

No Amp! S-Video Mod!

SoundGammon

Cool. I don't feel like doing the RF mod myself, what I'd like to find is a converter that would convert directly from RF to HDMI. Why? Sheer laziness! When I use my 5200 I have to switch inputs on my TV and then press a button on the switcher. If I had HDMI out, I could plug it into my Kinivo auto-switcher so when the 5200 is turned on, it would switch immediately on it's own.

post-35324-0-81723300-1531086511_thumb.jpg

post-35324-0-61624900-1531086528_thumb.jpg

Can anyone else confirm this working? This is really cool to see. Where you have the label "video" is that able to be tapped for composite on it's own? Are you using the one marked "video" as your luma or are you tying video and chroma together like you would if converting a composite connection to work on svideo?

The

Can anyone else confirm this working? This is really cool to see. Where you have the label "video" is that able to be tapped for composite on it's own? Are you using the one marked "video" as your luma or are you tying video and chroma together like you would if converting a composite connection to work on svideo?

Where I tapped the video is where it goes to the RF modulator. The chroma resistor is pulled up and the chroma line is tapped on the resistor that comes from the GTIA chip.

Hope this pic helps!

If you just want to do a composite video, don't pull the chroma resistor and connect the composite video to video/luma tap!

Then the 2600 adapter should work too!

post-7077-0-08919600-1531095767_thumb.jpg

Edited by SoundGammon
  • Like 1

Admittedly, I've not thought too much about doing a video upgrade until yesterday. Now, I'm interested in improving the picture quality and eliminating the use of the old-style RF cable. The problem is, I don't want to replace the ancient RF cable with antique composite cables. If I'm going to make holes in my 5200 case it has to be for something modern.

There is good news to warrant further investigation.

1) There are plenty of Chinese composite to HDMI converters on the market.

2) There is plenty of room inside an Atari 5200 to mount & hide all this stuff.

So finding a suitable connector to mount in the 5200 case is probably "doable".

My biggest question requires me to ask here. With the power supply of the 5200 what would be your preferred method for stealing power from the 5200 to feed a converter mounted internally?

Admittedly, I've not thought too much about doing a video upgrade until yesterday. Now, I'm interested in improving the picture quality and eliminating the use of the old-style RF cable. The problem is, I don't want to replace the ancient RF cable with antique composite cables. If I'm going to make holes in my 5200 case it has to be for something modern.

There is good news to warrant further investigation.

1) There are plenty of Chinese composite to HDMI converters on the market.

2) There is plenty of room inside an Atari 5200 to mount & hide all this stuff.

So finding a suitable connector to mount in the 5200 case is probably "doable".

My biggest question requires me to ask here. With the power supply of the 5200 what would be your preferred method for stealing power from the 5200 to feed a converter mounted internally?

If you're going to do that, you need to look at the specs on the converter itself. I say this because I've seen some that apparently needed in excess of 1.5amp to do what they do. Obviously if the converter is going to possibly pull that much current, you are going to have to upgrade the regulators in the 5200 to follow suit and also the power supply itself might require a beefier supply. If you can get a larger current output power supply, then you could just add a small perf board and heatsink assembly to a separate voltage regulator just for the converter.

If you just try and tap off the converters that are already in the 5200, you will cause them to burn out quicker and run hotter. That can cause issues for other components inside.

The

Where I tapped the video is where it goes to the RF modulator. The chroma resistor is pulled up and the chroma line is tapped on the resistor that comes from the GTIA chip.

Hope this pic helps!

If you just want to do a composite video, don't pull the chroma resistor and connect the composite video to video/luma tap!

Then the 2600 adapter should work too!

So just right off the junction you have marked as video? Nothing else? Just run that straight to the composite connector (along with a ground obviously)? Sounds too simple.

So just right off the junction you have marked as video? Nothing else? Just run that straight to the composite connector (along with a ground obviously)? Sounds too simple.

Should do it as long as you don't remove the chroma resistor! Remember to pull the resistor next to the chroma, that's the sound! Resistor number 33. If you don't, you'll get lines in the picture! Lots of them!

• Like 1