IGNORED

8bit and 16bit on DS/3DS

Looking to get a lot more re-releases from my favorite eras in portable form. The DS was known for N64 and GameCube ports, but what about earlier systems? I've found some Mega Man, Mortal Kombat, and Sonic collections... what else is there?

are you talking like cart releases, or online store?

I have Streets of Rage 2, Sonic 2 (which you mentioned), Outrun, Galaxy Force on my 3DS- they're part of Sega's '3D' Series. I think these were released as a cart and as individual downloads in the store.

You can also pick up the Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania games, too.

(hope this helps!)

Chrono Trigger DS unlike the 3D re-do of some others is just basically the SNES game with the bottom used as an active map with touch options to play it by.

Final Fantasy 3 DS is like the Famicom game, but 3D, yet they kept the system pretty close to the Famicom style just adding a more non-generic story giving names to the characters and changing the classes slightly into better balance.

FF4 was done, but it's wrecked, avoid it. It too is 3D, but Square decided to make all boss fights and some random heavy monsters into a sadists version of Simon Says and if you don't do the exact style/type of move when it wants it, they throw out near death blow single hits typically party wide (but not always) so even if you're not dead, you're dead standing until the next scratch.

There is a Konami arcade collection on DS that's highly regarded as it has some excellent arcade games on there -- Contra, Gradius, Twinbee, and some others emulated right, not simulated or recreated. If you don't mind almost nothing to account for it, there were 2 club mario game & watch collections on DS which just have 2 LCD games each recreated, very minimalist.

Kind of what digdugnate pointed out, on 3DS there is a Sega 3D Classics Collection bundle, in 3D and it has a good mix of about a dozen arcade games and a few genesis/sms games tossed in too.

• Like 1

Dragon Warrior/Quest remakes are amazing. Don't know if there are any differences in gameplay but sfx/gfx are top notch.

Also played a lot of Shiren The Wanderer and Front Mission. And Kirby Super Star was fun too.

I also recall you can play GBA carts on DS and this system had a lot of remakes/ports too.

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_games_re-released_onto_Nintendo_handhelds