IGNORED

TI software box with book-flap

OLD CS1

I am sure I am not the first person to see such a box, but this is a new one for me and I am leaning toward liking it. My guess would be this came later in the TI time-line as a way to simplify packaging by dropping the plastic inserts and only using paper board.

post-27864-0-18439800-1531082297_thumb.jpg

post-27864-0-16432500-1531082320_thumb.jpg

post-27864-0-94339200-1531082342_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I always thought that the boxes with book-flap and the little window on the side for show title of the cartridge are the early ones used for TI-99/4 (not A) version. Also learned that booklets early version have the black strip on the front cover instead the early versions but distribuited in the TI-99/4A years have no book-flaps boxes and the black strip contain text.

here you can see a nice gallery with descriptions:
http://www.ti99.eu/?page_id=3611&lang=en

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 1

Yes, the boxes with the flaps were for the 99/4. Note that you can also see the cartridge itself through a hole in the spine of the box on many of them.

The Compact English Trainer is one of the cartridges I'm still trying to get a copy of. . .

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I was thinking of making a thread about these boxes but I came across this existing thread. Yes, like others have indicated, these paper boxes with manual book flap style were the original TI-99/4 software boxes. It's my understanding that only software produced in 1979 came in these style boxes. The software that came in this style included Beginning Grammar, Demonstration, Diagnostic, Early Learning Fun, Football, Home Financial Decisions, Household Budget Management, Number Magic, Physical Fitness, Video Chess, and Video Graphs. [most of the previous info I gleaned from ti994.com] I personally have Video Games 1 and Yahtzee in this style, so those are two additional titles in this style, and obviously the OP @OLD CS1 has Securities Analysis in this style. Perhaps there are other titles out there, too? As @Ksarul mentioned, the slot on the spine/side of the box which displays the cartridge label (assuming the cartridge is positioned correctly in the box) is a fantastic design decision, and one that was inexplicably removed by TI when they went to the plastic slide-out inserts. I suppose I shouldn't say inexplicably, as I'm sure it was cheaper to do the plastic inserts and do away with the manual book-style flaps, etc. It's a shame, though, as there's no way to store the later-gen TI-99/4A paper boxes on their sides (prior to the full plastic tray style "boxes" replaced the paper boxes altogether) and be able to differentiate among them at first glance, unless you make your own labels or write on the side of the boxes.  

For those unfamiliar with this style of box, this picture from ti994.com shows the slot on the left-hand side of the box where the cartridge label shows through (when the cart is in the box). Pretty neat!

TI Football.jpg

• Like 2