IGNORED

channel 3 rf in-to-composite video output for vintage gaming systems?

BIGHMW

Well, I finally have an Atari 5200 unit (imported 2-port) that has the compatibility to work with the VCS cartridge adapter, but, I also have an a/v-modded 5200 as well, but, it will not work with the VCS adapter due to it being a/v/power-modded.

'

But yet, I HATE having to settle for the direct wiring from the channel 2/3 RF cable (RCA plug) directly into my Insignia TV's 75-ohm output using my RCA-to-75-ohm plug adapter, I still have to put up with the BS audio buzzing just to be able to enjoy playing my unit with either 5200 or 2600 games with my non-modded 5200 that proudly sits in its rightful place on my gaming rack with its own Insignia TV and accessories and gear for both the 5200 and the 2600 adapter, including fully-loaded AtariAge/Fred Quimby Harmony Encore 2600 and AtariMax 5200 SD multicarts.

I tried looking up on Google but failed (maybe I used a bad search) to find myself a solution for it, that being that I would like to convert the channel 2/3 RF-to-a box that allows it to be outputted onto a composite/component or HDMI TV, and that reduces the buzzing and also boosts the signal (as the non-modded 2-port 5200 is notorious for being a bit "dark" while my a/v/power-modded 5200, gives me a beautiful pic with pretty much no buzzing in the audio, but does not allow the 2600 adapter to be used on it. :(

I need a solution like this so I can (either) record my gaming from my 5200 or while using my 2600 adapter hooked up to it onto a digital media format (or onto VHS or DVD-R) so I can show it on YouTube for reviews or even for sharing clips with all of you!!!

Channel 2/3 RF from 5200 > audio/composite/component/HDMI video converter > Insignia TV audio/composite/component/HDMI input or home theater a/v receiver with such inputs

There s several good composite conversions on the forums here that you could do. Since its a 2 port with external power jack, you could go the el cheapo cable convertor jack into the back of a vcr input providing you don t want to convert it.

Thanks, but using the game cord to an RCA-to-75-ohm coax adapter through the RF input of a VCR? I already do that but directly to my Insignia TV's 75 ohm connector, but, I HAVE heard of that trick, and as for converting to a/v that is certainly out of the question because I want to use my VCS cartridge adapter for my Harmony Encore 2600 SD multicart as well as my Atarimax 5200 SD multicart.

Okay how many people think this is the best method.

1) Do the composite modification

2) Buy << THIS >>

3) Enjoy.

s-l1600.jpg

I wouldn't personally use this one as I just ripped one of these exact models out of a 7800 to replace with a UAV at the owners request. The HDMI output from this using the simple composite transistor mod resulted in a dark picture with horrible dot crawl. It was worse than the UAVs composite. Since the UAVs aren't really available currently, I would see about looking into what Osgeld uses for his 2600s when he does the composite out on those. His doesn't use the simple transistor mod and as I understand it, is of much better picture quality.

You've got me wondering how many VCR's have avoided the dump and are only being used as RF to composite converters.

This. It does not even matter if the VHS deck is busted. Many old analog cable boxes had ntsc demodulators for channels 1-99, however these boxes are quite uncommon to find in the wild since cable subscribers were required to return old equipment to their providers, which ultimately got landfilled or recycled as e-waste due to planned obsolescence. But if you can find an old cable box with composite outputs, it will offer a much more compact form factor than a "busted" vcr.

These would be good for hooking up to anything including Japanese game consoles like the Famicom which used channels 1-2 NTSC-J, which falls within the United States FM broadcast spectrum. I believe you can tune to CATV upper 90s to pick these up. Be forewarned the audio subcarrier would be FM 93.75Mhz or 99.75Mhz. If you've got strong FM stations in your area, especially on 93.7 / 99.7 (country/rap for my area), it will likely interfere with reception of the RF signal on Japanese consoles.

My tcl 4k lcd still accepts Atari 2600A NTSC channel 2 rf and does quite a fantastic job of displaying it. All my other consoles however came with stock composite outputs. My 7800 is AV modded.

My tcl 4k lcd still accepts Atari 2600A NTSC channel 2 rf and does quite a fantastic job of displaying it. All my other consoles however came with stock composite outputs. My 7800 is AV modded.

Sorry to go off topic, but on your TLC, are you able to control the aspect ratio of the Coax input? Can you adjust the aspect (Wide setting) on the composite and HDMI inputs as well?

From what I've read the TLCs don't allow you to adjust the wide setting or essentially get a 4:3 aspect from the HDMI inputs and if that is true, then that makes them a deal breaker for me. Plus the 49" models both last year and current models only provide a composite, Coax ANT (RF), and HDMI inputs. None of them appeared to have component and that really surprises me and is also a deal killer because I do use my Genesis and Wii on component.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

Sorry to go off topic, but on your TLC, are you able to control the aspect ratio of the Coax input? Can you adjust the aspect (Wide setting) on the composite and HDMI inputs as well?

From what I've read the TLCs don't allow you to adjust the wide setting or essentially get a 4:3 aspect from the HDMI inputs and if that is true, then that makes them a deal breaker for me. Plus the 49" models both last year and current models only provide a composite, Coax ANT (RF), and HDMI inputs. None of them appeared to have component and that really surprises me and is also a deal killer because I do use my Genesis and Wii on component.

My Insignia has component video, as well as composite video, but, the green jack doubles and acts for either composite (when used alone) OR component (along with the red and blue jacks), and as for setting up the screen ratio, whether you want the old-school 480i in a 4:3 ratio with black borders to either side, or in a "stretched" 16:9 "fullscreen" ratio, my Insignia does that too. I obviously have it (and all my TVs, of the same model, to the fullscreen 16:9 ratio, since I use older components, like my Sony SLV-740HF VCR and a Sony RDR-GX330 DVD recorder as well as a DISH 311 SD receiver for my satellite TV system, so I can still record onto DVD-R's, and even though I DO ALSO own an a/v/power-modded 5200 if it had to be one or the other (that "other" being my 2-port non-modded 5200 so I can use my VCS adapter) it s a tough choice between an all-in-one 5200 (the 2-port) and one with the best signal possible (the 4-port a/v/power modded 5200), but if it came down to that, I guess I can also have my 2600 Jr. a/v-modded too, and keep my 4-port a/v/power-modded 5200, although I would also have to use both a 3-to-1 power cube so I can use that wall-wart AC adapter the 2600 comes with and a multi-source a/v switcher (I own one a Sony) too. Inconvenience.

I would see about looking into what Osgeld uses for his 2600s when he does the composite out on those. His doesn't use the simple transistor mod and as I understand it, is of much better picture quality.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/595-THS7314DR

or

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ON-Semiconductor-Fairchild/FMS6363ACSX?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvmbEO3z9LBjBvgOVz3CJJd

I only use one channel, the TI part's filter is not as good, but the Fairchild part, the filter is almost too good (I see more dot crawl with the FMS), either way both are a decent choice and are pin and operationally compatible with eachother

Edited by Osgeld

Never mind guys, what I needed was an RF Demodulator, like THIS:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MCM-33-2060-RF-Demodulator-CH-3-IN-Composite-A-V-OUT/372295167212?hash=item56ae856cec:g:QwEAAOSw14xWOONI

post-15067-0-67046000-1531264012_thumb.jpg

IT does the job I described earlier on this post, problem solved!!!

Non-modded 2-port Atari 5200 set for channel 3 > RF Demodulator > composite video/audio on TV