Photo

Cutting an Atari Case

6 replies to this topic

#1 Grover Torbel OFFLINE  

Grover Torbel

Star Raider

• 70 posts

Posted Mon Jul 9, 2018 4:26 PM

Searched for this topic and didn't see anything, so I thought I would ask...
In preparing to mount a DVI connector for a Sophia mod in an Atari case I'm trying to figure out the best way to do the cutout for the connector. My first thought is to draw an outline of the connector on the case, then use a Dremel with a cutting wheel to do the straight cuts and one of the other attachments to do the curved parts. Any other ideas? Have any of you used something other than a Dremel for this sort of thing?
I've mounted tons of other things like DIN connectors, jacks and switches, but those are all more round type items which are pretty simple.

#2 flashjazzcat ONLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 13,565 posts

Posted Mon Jul 9, 2018 4:37 PM

Dremel, but finish with flat files after doing rough cuts well inside the drawn outline.

#3 xrbrevin OFFLINE  

xrbrevin

Chopper Commander

• 183 posts
  • Stand by for ACTION!

Posted Mon Jul 9, 2018 5:15 PM

small rotary file attachments for the dremel are also useful. tapered ones are good for gradually enlarging holes

#4 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• 7,062 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:33 AM

Tiny amount of acetone on the filed edges will also smooth over and "seal" the plastic as acetone melts plastic.

#5 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 4,288 posts

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:26 PM

ever so lightly, no drips or runs.... :)

#6 Grover Torbel OFFLINE  

Grover Torbel

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 70 posts

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:53 PM

Thanks for everyone's help on this.  Here is the finished project (Atari 600XL, 64K, Atarimax APE Warp+ OS 32-in-1, Sophia DVI Video and Audio Jack).  I decided to leave the RF intact and find it kind of cool to be able to compare and contrast the RF video with the Sophia on side by side screens.  The Sophia video really is incredible, especially when compared to Channel 2/3 output.  I'm very happy with the results and, best of all, everything works properly!

IMG_2426.jpg

#7 Lastic OFFLINE  

Lastic

Space Invader

• 37 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:55 PM

I'm planning to do the same Sophia rev. C DVI cutout on my 130XE but didn't think of the audio.

I was planning to use a monitor out to audio jack cable but your solution looks a lot cleaner.

Could you share how you connected the audio jack ?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users