IGNORED

Creative solutions to rehousing pcbs... Anyone else have to get creative?

gorfcadet

post-30305-0-67052400-1531410355_thumb.jpg

So I got the bug to fix up some of my carts that were "nekkid". Of course two of the projects were a homeless Frogger and Kool Aid Man. My recent pick up of a Retron 77 kind of spurred this since I wanted to play those games, but didn't want my family grabbing uncovered pcbs out of the cart slot. Both games were in a yard sale box once upon a time and I've been waiting to house them.

Unfortunately, Parker Bros and M Network pcbs don't fit standard cart shells. So here is a little pic of my Kool Aid Man rehousing project. Plastic toothpicks to hold the pcb inside the shell and strategic LEGOs to keep the cart where it goes.

Credit for the awesome AA'ers who made this little project doable.

Cart shells:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/275067-atari-7800-2600-sms-nes-style-controllers-v12/

Labels:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/259571-interest-check-new-reproduction-7800-sliver-labels/

So share and care people... what have you done to get a game into a new home/cart shell?

• Like 2

I had a Donkey Kong Junior (red label) with a broken tab, making it near impossible to insert into my composite modified six switcher. I had a Solaris that didn't work, cleaning and other measures couldn't bring it back to life. So I swapped the Solaris board with the DKJr. First time I every took a cart apart, which was hard for me to believe considering the way I like to tinker.

Good job rescuing your games, Gorfcadet!

• Like 1

shame you had to swap an uncommon great like solaris for dk jr. the common shells with sliding dust covers will also fit the pcbs. traimel era 2600 carts used the same redesigned shells as 7800. i also had a few games with one prong broke off that function fine in my 4-switch woody.

I have a good, working Solaris, and in better condition! the one I swapped was dead, wouldn't work and was in rough shape. The DKJr. cart had also seen better days.

Believe me, I would have NEVER swapped a good Solaris. Solaris is my favorite 2600 game! And yes, I do like DKJr. from time to time.

Edited by cuda_man
  • Like 1

This is the case I fashioned for my original run UnoCart 2600.

I used a Game Boy cart shell for the grey bit, which the PCB lays in. Milliput was used to create the edge of the PCB compartment, and I formed it right to ensure it would fit the card snugly so it wouldn't move about. The screw rests lightly on the PCB; it's just there to hold things straight. The brass bushing came from a PC motherboard.

The sliding part no longer slides; it's superglued in place to keep the PCB dead straight and at the correct angle.

There are no prongs there, but I always play on a 7800 which does not require them for insertion.

The PCB can be removed in the time it takes to unscrew the screw.

post-22822-0-70800500-1531521425_thumb.jpg

post-22822-0-92661000-1531521537_thumb.jpg

post-22822-0-86898000-1531521577_thumb.jpg

post-22822-0-67773700-1531521629_thumb.jpg

post-22822-0-05397600-1531521839_thumb.jpg

Edited by InactiveX
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting to see that I wasnt alone in my thought process. I have repaired many damaged cart shells over the years, and the strategic use of Lego bricks has always been my method. However, as a Lego collector, Ive never wasted real Lego bricks. Rather, Ive always used Tyco or Mega Bloks & other crap bricks for them instead.

• Like 1

Interesting to see that I wasnt alone in my thought process. I have repaired many damaged cart shells over the years, and the strategic use of Lego bricks has always been my method. However, as a Lego collector, Ive never wasted real Lego bricks. Rather, Ive always used Tyco or Mega Bloks & other crap bricks for them instead.

I've started ordering extra plain grey blocks whenever I order pick a brick sets from LEGO. Always have some greys around to fix my carts! My kids have the knock off blocks in their tubs and they get pithy if I start looting. :)