Dear AtariAge forum
Recently I found out interesting 3DO stuff.
- In some Japanese 3DO FZ-1 theres is a single SOP44 ROM chip which does contain BIOS and Kanji fonts on the same package. The second ROM slot on the board is left blank.
- SOP44 3DO ROM chips can be read as if they were 29LV160 chips (eg. AM29LV160**, MBM29LV**, MX29LV160**, ES29LV160**, HY29LV160**, the asterices being any letter)
- BIOSes can be written on to AM29LV160DB and AM29LV160BB. Probably on the rest of the afore mentioned chips too.
- The RSA check can be removed from the BIOS by changing the two occurrences of 000313A0000111A0 into 000313A0000011A0. It is important to leave the 000213A0000111A0 as it is.
- Without RSA check all arcade games and unlicensed games will run on home console 3DOs
- M2 games did not run on such systems yet and probably won't
Member Tajigamer was a invaluable help during these explorations!
Keep on preserving stuff, kind community!