IGNORED

Did VladR Drop A Challenge?

mmbe

Did you say, two HUNDRED ? Really ?!? Although, it's a famous name - I didn't previously know that Fast Food goes as far back as 2600-era.

You know, here in Montana, if I did 3 games a year, and each did 200 copies, I could totally survive here on that, and do what I love coding the most...

If that actually sold 200+ you could probaly sell 500+ preorders on promises alone. If you actually finish that then please port "Skynet" AI over to Jaguar and take over world domination for good. Or just take the money and run. :-D

Edited by agradeneu

Yank track data from checkered flag.

Use better 3D engine to drive things.

Put in decent steering.

Use AI routines off internet to make opponent cars interesting.

Increase opponent # by at least five.

If FF64 sold so well a 3D racer would blow the doors off that

• Like 1

Yank track data from checkered flag.

Why ? I have an export toolset from 3dsmax. Whatever track I make, it will be in 3dsmax. Do you have any idea how much time would be burnt trying to figure out the format of the track, first importing it, then decoding, then exporting to my format and only then I would find lots of issues, as the track was modelled to satisfy the requirements of a different engine. Absolutely not worth the time...

Use AI routines off internet to make opponent cars interesting.

Uhm, what ? How can you grab AI routine off internet and integrate it into your own engine ? It doesn't work that way. You just gotta write it from scratch.

Increase opponent # by at least five.

This morning I was just testing the enemy Z-sorting, including AI, and it worked just fine with 10 enemies and was stable. StunRunner AI is of course different from racing AI. Performance-wise, I don't think you want 8 enemies close to camera in a car-racing game - that would be too much slow-down in rendering. Spaceships, in distance, with level-of-detail, that's a different thing...

There are ways how to fake that high polycount, but that's at least 2-4 weeks of research and experiments. For second game, at the earliest, not now...

checkered flag.

You're thinking Virtua Racing, right ? There would be at the very least 6-8 weeks of additional engine updates. Plus, faking the 8 cars (another 2-4 weeks). Also, 3 months of research is just too many unknowns. You can't really guarantee what and how will work, as by definition, it's a research - you're just figuring out if it will even work in the first place.

The better progression would be StunRunner -> PolePosition -> VirtuaRacing, which would reduce the technological risk substantially.

• Like 2

Why ? I have an export toolset from 3dsmax. Whatever track I make, it will be in 3dsmax. Do you have any idea how much time would be burnt trying to figure out the format of the track, first importing it, then decoding, then exporting to my format and only then I would find lots of issues, as the track was modelled to satisfy the requirements of a different engine. Absolutely not worth the time...

Why not make a proof of concept 3D engine on PC first based on what you already know about the Jaguar... That way you can make your own format ready to go when you implement/migrate 3D engine concept to the Atari Jaguar. Not to knock what you've already have done, just a prototype done on PC based on the work you've already have done on the Jaguar and establish a framework between the PC and Jaguar for 3D engine?

I have an export toolset from 3dsmax. Whatever track I make, it will be in 3dsmax.

I haven't done any serious 3D modeling in 3D max in a long time... I've almost forgotten how to use Max. Here's something I did back in 05 taking up a 3D surfacing class for CAD back in 05. The model was done using "Nurbs or Spline" modelling; later I would learn box modelling, but that's another story. The image was based off of a 2D drawing. I got to get back into 3D modeling... I miss it. Making Jag games would certainly help get me back to getting my stride in 3D stuff.

post-3526-0-00320000-1531772986.jpg

Edited by philipj
  • Like 2