IGNORED

ROM/RAM Cartridge emulator - Interton VC4000

Derek Andrews

What I am looking for is something to plug into an Interton VC4000 type console that will emulate the ROM and RAM in a game cartridge. It would need to connect to a PC via cable, Bluetooth or Wi-Fi and would be used for the purpose of game development.

Does such a thing already exist? It seems to me that something like this would be quite possible using something like an Arduino or Raspberry Pi, but don't want to re-invent the wheel if there is already something out there that will do the job.

• 2 months later...

Not quite the thing Derek is looking for. Rolo's multicart is great, but uses an EPROM that of course can be erased and reprogrammed while Derek is looking for something that dynamically can mimic the ROM and extra RAM in the cartridge on the fly, loaded from a PC. In order to use the multicart for dev purposes it would mean removing the chip, erase it, reprogram it, insert it back into the cart, test, remove it, erase it, insert it, test it...

• Like 1

An eprom emulator can do the job. You just connect it in place of the eprom on the game board and you can upload from the pc without the hassle of multiple eprom erasing/programming cycles.
There are some old eprom programmers that also have that function, and with some patience you can find them quite cheaply (in the 50$-100$ range).

I have a promicron 2000 and successfully used its "eprom simulator" function to test games on several consoles for which I don't have flashcarts, including my Interton VC4000.
I only have an "invaders" cartridge and it doesn't have all the pins on the edge connector, so I'm currently limited to 2k games with no extra ram until I find a better donor cart or I get a PCB done (or I etch my own).

Edited by alex_79
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 7/13/2018 at 4:55 PM, Derek Andrews said:

What I am looking for is something to plug into an Interton VC4000 type console that will emulate the ROM and RAM in a game cartridge. It would need to connect to a PC via cable, Bluetooth or Wi-Fi and would be used for the purpose of game development.

Does such a thing already exist? It seems to me that something like this would be quite possible using something like an Arduino or Raspberry Pi, but don't want to re-invent the wheel if there is already something out there that will do the job.

This thing already exist....