IGNORED

Suggestions for an 7800 wired remote cable

Amerika

Hello!

When the 2600 was first created, it was assumed by the designers that the console would be very near the person playing on it. So a lot of games rely on pressing a button on the console to either start the game, to reset a game after failing, to pause a game etc. (you all know this...but I am just framing here). Well, I have an 7800 and it does not sit anywhere close to me and trying to move it closer to where I normally sit (love seat) would make my setup messy and it would be hassle. Due to the nature of this design, I find myself not playing on it as much as I would normally do simply because it's annoying. It's one thing to get up and change a cart, it's another to have to constantly get up to do something with each game!

Since the 7800 has 4 push buttons that are software controlled (4 posts but the posts are mirrored) and are not physical switches, I decided that I could wire up an 7800 remote control. I did a quick proof of concept by attaching a push button to a couple of the buttons to make sure everything worked fine and it does. Now all I need to do is figure out what kind of connection/wire I want to use to connect the 7800 to a remote control box. I know I could use an arduino and BT and remote control it that way easy enough, but I feel like this project needs a physical connection. My question to you guys is what do you think would be an aesthetically in-line connection type that I could fairly easily get my hands on and use? My only qualifications are that I need it to have at least 5 wires (4 active wires and a common ground) and I'd like it to be small so I could easily hide it on the side of the console.

My first thought was to use RJ45 as it is easy to come by, it has enough wires, and I could get a thin braided cable that is pretty flexible. However, the downside to using RJ45 is they snap into place. That could mean if somebody ran into/tripped on the wire, it could not only yank my 7800 hard and damage it but also more likely to trip the person. I could clip that off but as anybody knows RJ45's don't like to stay connected without it. What would be a good alternative to this? I was thinking maybe a mini-din8. But i can only seem to find beige cabling and I'd like to keep everything black. I also want something that is around 10 feet. I've looked at a few other things as well but nothing quite fits my criteria so I figured I'd ask here.

Any suggestions are welcome!

If you use the Ardino / BT type setup, then you won't need to worry about tripped wires because you put the transmitter either inside the 7800 somewhere if there is room for it, or attach it via whatever you want off the side of it. Your actual controller is wirelessly attached that way so...no wires in the way really.

If you use the Ardino / BT type setup, then you won't need to worry about tripped wires because you put the transmitter either inside the 7800 somewhere if there is room for it, or attach it via whatever you want off the side of it. Your actual controller is wirelessly attached that way so...no wires in the way really.

I am aware of this. But as I mentioned in my original post, it's not the route I want to take.

In that case I think the use of a mini-din is the most logical way to go.

I agree, it's one logical way to go which is why I listed it. However, I am not finding anything that meets my needs in regards to aesthetics and size. Which is why I am asking for suggestions on where I could maybe find what I want with a 10' black mini-din cable and jacks, or some other alternative, that would do the job.

I am not extraordinarily well versed in this area so I am asking for suggestions here. My google-fu has yet to find anything that would work. I believe solutions exist, I just am ignorant of the proper terminology to find what I want.

I'm sure there are cheaper ways to go in this case, but if you were to get a small piece of perf board then you might be able to use something from here? You would have to make your own cable though...

https://console5.com/store/parts/proprietary-av-plugs.html

My apologies. I guess I should have also mentioned that I am attempting to avoid making a custom solution in case I want to easily swap in a longer cable or if I happen to lose it etc. it won't be a pain to get another one. I know I can do that, I just don't want to reinvent the wheel if there is a solid pre-made alternative I have not found yet.

If I need to go that route, I can and will. I would just like to save it as the last option is all.

Edited by Amerika

Then I guess I'm confused on exactly what it is you are looking for? Are you just looking for small panel mount din connectors that you can attach to the casing directly?

and you are looking for a premade cable of 10' that has the male/female to match? I'm trying to help here but I guess what I have visioned in my head and what you are actually trying to do aren't similar.

Super basic version: I need a long black cable with a small but non-unique or hard to get connection type that has at least 5 wires that can be easily found pre-made and will breakaway.

RJ45 - Won't work because of the locking mechanism preventing the cord from breaking away is required to keep a good/consistent connection.

Min-Din6 or 8 - So far I can't find anything that works due to the off the shelf cable colors being beige only that I have found online. If I can find black at 10' or longer, then I'm set.

USB - In a perfect world I'd use USB-A connectors but USB only has 4 wires total.

I hope that clears things up.

Yeah, that is definitely an option worth exploring. Somebody else told me to go to an automotive store and see if they had something that was common that could be used (like a trailer light kit).

I might actually end up using RJ45 if I can get a jack that is deep enough so it doesn't require the lock to get a reliable connection. I'm going to go out to an automotive store today and if that doesn't work I can get some RJ45 jacks locally and see how well they would work. If all else fails I'll probably just got minidin8 and paint the beige cord.

Thanks for the assist!