Photo

Kid Klown for the NES- is it really that rare?

9 replies to this topic

#1 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

Stargunner

• 1,473 posts

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:07 PM

If this is in the wrong forum, I apologize in advance- it didn't really seem to fit in with the 'Marketplace' forum.

I was browsing through the Atariage Marketplace facebook page and a post for Kid Klown caught my eye- mostly because the seller is asking $220 for it. 

For grins I wanted to see the current auctions and it's going for crazy prices on eBay too.  

Is this really a super rare NES cart?  I just ask because I don't know anything about market value but thought the collectors out there might.  I remember renting the game and thinking 'man this game is kinda lousy', lol.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

#2 mbd30 ONLINE  

mbd30

River Patroller

• 2,993 posts

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:31 PM

It's a very late release for the NES (1993) and wasn't popular at the time, so that's why it's rare.

Expensive doesn't mean good.

Apparently it was a Mickey Mouse game in Japan but was changed to Kid Klown over here for licensing reasons.

Edited by mbd30, Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:31 PM.

#3 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,473 posts

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:32 PM

ah, ok!  thank you for the extra info :)  so it is a pretty rare game, then.

#4 Jin OFFLINE  

Jin

Solar Striker

• 2,548 posts

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:56 PM

The pricing seems about right: https://www.pricecha...ght-mayor-world

#5 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 17,351 posts

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:16 PM

"Collect everything" posers pretending to be gamers. They come across some cash and proceed to attempt to collect all 777 or whatever number of NES games existed before 1995. And they only count us releases, ignoring PAL, Famicom, and homebrew. Generally they check price charting and collect the most expensive games first, thinking if they don't get them now, it will go up. And it's a self fulfilling prophecy. Bubble will burst when enough collectors drop out and try to unload wallfulls of shitty unicorns. There's enought Mario/Duck Hunt 2-in-1sthat everyone can have one. Little Samson, not so much...

Even more bizzare are the cib and sealed collectors. Cardboard and manual is worth 5x as much as the game. Cellophane is like 20-50x.

#6 CatPix OFFLINE  

CatPix

River Patroller

• 3,808 posts

Posted Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:45 AM

I will never understand the point of sealed, if it's not to open the game.

And it amuse me to think, how many people own "sealed games" that are actually a professionnal reprint, filled with a slab of plastic, and shrinkwrapped?

Especially amusing when you remember than sealed/shinkwrapped games weren't common at all before the 90's...

#7 pacman000 OFFLINE  

pacman000

Stargunner

• 1,106 posts

Posted Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:34 AM

Atari Inc didn't even shrink wrap their games; distributors did.

I don't mind collectors; photos of basements filled with thousands of games are cool to look at. But you've got to play some of those games some time to really appreciate them, right?

#8 0078265317 OFFLINE  

Quadrunner

• 6,000 posts

Posted Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:38 AM

Yes 220 is high. But look at this.

https://m.ebay.com/i...2fffdf419|iid:1

Almost 1000 dollars.

#9 Blazing Lazers OFFLINE  

Blazing Lazers

Stargunner

• 1,464 posts

Posted Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:25 PM

If it can be found for sale on Ebay at any given time with multiple listings, then it's not rare. Truly rare items are almost never readily available for purchase. Price does not equal rarity.

The only reasons the asking prices are high are: collectards, shelfqueens, and speculators.

#10 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

River Patroller

• 4,498 posts

Posted Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:07 PM

Crazy.  Shows how much I gave up caring to pay attention.  It had to be in the last 4mo if that I saw a copy of the game alone and it was like $70 at half price, definitely not three figures.  I knew having it long ago it was garbage, left it.  Even seeing that value on it, I still don't feel bad leaving it.

I'll never understand the mentality of those groups especially in the market as it has been for well over five years now as blazing lazers there put it just above.  Damn I'm glad I have an everdrive and if I need something, it's there, and if I have to have it, there are cheap famicom equals if not superiors (like akumajou densetsu vs castlevania 3.)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users