IGNORED

Development Environment via Linux (Virtual Machine)

I have not done any development in Linux for Atari and I'm wanting to write some programs (games or utilities) and I'm wondering if anyone has ever set up a virtual machine via Virtual Box or VM Player?

I don't want to duplicate effort if it's already been done,

Why a virtual machine? I have multiple computers running multiple OS's and I want to be able to develop on whatever machine I'm currently in front of.

I also want this pre-configured environment to be freely distributed, which is why I will not be using Windows. (I may use Mint so that it will look like Windows for those who have not used Linux before.)

Constructive ideas and suggestions appreciated.

• Like 1

I have a working minimal Ubuntu 16 LTS VMWARE image which I use for developing/testing WUDSN IDE and compiling the tools.

But I have not found a proper way for hosting the 10 GB, which is why I never released it.

And I'd probably aim more at the zero installation download like I did for WUDSN IDE on Windows.

post-17404-0-13669700-1531670348_thumb.png

• Like 1

I have not done any development in Linux for Atari and I'm wanting to write some programs (games or utilities) and I'm wondering if anyone has ever set up a virtual machine via Virtual Box or VM Player?

I don't want to duplicate effort if it's already been done,

Why a virtual machine? I have multiple computers running multiple OS's and I want to be able to develop on whatever machine I'm currently in front of.

I also want this pre-configured environment to be freely distributed, which is why I will not be using Windows. (I may use Mint so that it will look like Windows for those who have not used Linux before.)

Constructive ideas and suggestions appreciated.

You don't mention what languages you want to use, but MADS and Mad Pascal work fine from the command line in Linux, and there are syntax files for vim.

Set up a VM, install atari800 and configure it. Then install Free Pascal and compile MADS & Mad Pascal. You can even do most of your programming over mosh/ssh. :-)

Let me know if you have any questions and I may be able to help.

I decided to give Google Drive a try. 20 EUR/year for 100 GB looks OK to me. All my coding stuff amounts to around 65 GB.

Upload is running ... and will take looooooong :-)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think you'll need a virtual machine. If you want to develop for the Atari 8-bit on a Linux machine, then I can highly suggest ca65 (the assembler that comes with cc65) and atari++, which comes with a build-in debugger. I write, compile and link theprograms on linux with the ca-tools, and then debug on Atari++, on Linux. There is also a windows port if you prefer windows, of course.