IGNORED

Jaguar Game Audio Quiet, System New With Perfect Capacitors, Reflow REG1?

saucell

hey guys, i recently bought an official power supply and video cables for my jaguar. ive been buying games but im noticing that the game audio, especially the music is very quiet. most of the time this means the capacitors are old and failing but that doesn't seem to be the case for me. i bought my jaguar brand new in the late 90s, used it for probably 10 hours, lost the power and video cables and then it sat in its box till this year. i also opened my console up and checked the caps and everything looks flawless. i know using incorrect power supply's can destroy your jaguar and its possible 10 years ago i plugged a genesis 1 power supply into my console to play for 30 seconds, but theres no damage anywhere on the board.

i brought this up on reddit and i was recommend to add fresh solder to each leg of the REG1 regulator that works with the audio hardware on the board: https://ibb.co/ii6ANd. do any of you guys have experience with reflowing the REG1 on the board? anyone have anything similar happen with their jaguar audio that wasn't capacitor related? i just wanted to get a second opinion before i solder the REG1. thanks!

To verify REG1, with a cart in the system, power it on and measure pin 8 of REG1 to make sure the voltage is getting through the power switch, then measure pin 1, which should read approx +5 volts. I use the ground for the negative probe on my DVM, which are the silver strips along the edge of the board, there are two of them on the edge by the joy stick connectors. I hope that helps.

Yeah I resurrected that thread recently after replacing reg1 on mine to try and see if it would help. It didn't...

BTW.,.using a genesis power supply is no problem. My Jaguar has been using a Genesis power supply for like 8 years now without any issues. I do have the official Jag PSU on my JagCD though. But if you actually look at the supplies, you will see they are nearly identical and I'd speculate they were made in the same plants with just the outer casings being stamped for Sega or Atari....