IGNORED

Bentley Bear Pokey version availiability?

Stevaside

It is very possible there are more asteroids cabs alive in collectors and in arcades in use today than homebrew games that require pokeys. And sure Asteroids might only need 1 chip, but Tempest doesn't... lots of other Atari arcade games use more than one pokey in them. So we can't put the blame squarely on the 7800 homebrew market here. The arcade collectors, sellers, and restore...

But it does surprise me that with the demand and use of the Pokey across the entire 8-bit line and the arcades, you would think that was a large enough demographic alone to warrant a pokey replacement already existing? They managed to make replicas for the star field generator chips used in Galaga...why not a pokey replacement by now?

I'm equally flabbergasted. I looked up the Hokey, and while that looks promising, there hasn't been much if any movement on the project. And the need for more of these chips is just growing and growing.

How much do we have to pay to whom to come up with a solution?

I've got a great idea, lets crowdfund reproduction pokey chips!

Lets not use Kickstarter cos we sure as shit don't have a working prototype, but that won't stop us getting on Indiegogo!

Also remember to tick that box that says "keep all the ca$h even if we end up producing nothing"!

Oh wait, someone's telling me that route has had "some" criticism in the Infogrames box thread.... LOL

• Like 2

It is very possible there are more asteroids cabs alive in collectors and in arcades in use today than homebrew games that require pokeys. And sure Asteroids might only need 1 chip, but Tempest doesn't... lots of other Atari arcade games use more than one pokey in them. So we can't put the blame squarely on the 7800 homebrew market here. The arcade collectors, sellers, and restore...

I don't think anyone was blaming the POKEY shortage on the 7800 homebrew market; quite the reverse - the shortage is HINDERING the 7800 homebrew market, as is the lack of a widely-available flash cart solution (preferably one that includes a POKEY or a POKEY-work-alike).

But it does surprise me that with the demand and use of the Pokey across the entire 8-bit line and the arcades, you would think that was a large enough demographic alone to warrant a pokey replacement already existing? They managed to make replicas for the star field generator chips used in Galaga...why not a pokey replacement by now?

Agreed, 100%. It's kind of depressing.

• Like 4

Does the Atariage "Bring your Own POKEY" version of this game comes socketed for a POKEY for easy adding and removal, or do we have to ship a POKEY there and have it permanently soldered in?

I believe you have to send them the chip and they install it. I may be wrong though.

Just set an alert for Ballblazer on eBay. You'll be able to get one for cheaper. I got one for $17.95 inclusive of shipping the other day.

Yea that's what I was thinking..I have one, and honestly I haven't even played it since like 1999 when I 1st ordered it for my collection, but I still can't go through with sacrificing it lol

One has to wonder if the sudden surge in price for BallBlazer is due to the demand for the hokey pokey? It certainly turned itself around...but then...that's what it's all about. Ok, that's enough for today. :-D

Yea I'm sure it is & expected the prices to go up just because of it. Rly sucks knowing I bought my Ballblazer NIB for 88 cents in 1999 from O'Shea LTD...Those prices seem so unreal now, but still feel lucky to have jumpstarted my 7800 collection with about half the library that year from them

Edited by Stevaside

Yea I'm sure it is & expected the prices to go up just because of it. Rly sucks knowing I bought my Ballblazer NIB for 88 80 cents in 1999 from O'Shea LTD...Those prices seem so unreal now, but still feel lucky to have jumpstarted my 7800 collection with about half the library that year from them

post-18-0-82500300-1532133483_thumb.png

;)

I bought only one copy of each at the time. :mad: :dunce:

• Like 4

Lots are still on eBay if you keep a eye out.

2rhxx8o.png

Paid $58 with shipping today for this lot, has 2 copies of B.B. in it. Also needes Ace Of Aces so that was good.

And I have Food Fight (what a great game) but the sealed version is sweet :)

If you already have a copy of Joust, I'll happily purchase your extra from you ?

If you already have a copy of Joust, I'll happily purchase your extra from you ?

I have it on the 2600

Im not a huge Joust fan (mainly cause I stink at it) so let me try it out and see.

If I do decide to sell it Ill contact you first and sell it to you for what i basically paid for it. Or maybe ever can work out a trade :0

I have it on the 2600

Im not a huge Joust fan (mainly cause I stink at it) so let me try it out and see.

If I do decide to sell it Ill contact you first and sell it to you for what i basically paid for it. Or maybe ever can work out a trade :0

The 7800 version is fantastic! You'll like it a lot more than the 2600 version. Curious to try out the Atari 8-bit computer version once my XEGS arrives :)

The 7800 version is fantastic! You'll like it a lot more than the 2600 version. Curious to try out the Atari 8-bit computer version once my XEGS arrives :)

The A8 version was my jam as a kid. I can still score over 100K without much effort at the default settings. The 7800 version is harder and graphically better - more arcade accurate in both characteristics!

• Like 1

That is your auction and I doubt anyone wants to pay you a $100 for a game they can get from the AA store for $70. :x

That is an unwarranted $30 premium you will have to save for some ebay fool that doesn't know it's $70 in the AA store. :roll:

CLICK THIS LINK TO BUY IT HERE FOR $70 FROM THE ATARIAGE STORE

• Like 3